Switching to Nights. . Need some advice! !

Options
I am a 911 dispatcher and at the end of this month I will be moving to the night shift.. with 100lbs down and about 58 to go, I don't want to get off course. I'm wondering if there are other people who work nights that may have some advice? How do you log yo

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When my husband worked nights he kept to the same logging schedule--12a-11:59p. However, here are two other ideas I've seen mentioned on MFP:

-change the time zone on your account so it thinks it's morning around the time when you get up for the day.

-rename your meals so they are listed in the order you eat them (e.g., dinner/breakfast/lunch.)

Btw, way to go on the weight loss! That's fantastic.
  • UseYourIllusionRS
    Options
    I've been on nights about 6 months and prefer it.. I basically just moved my meals around so my typical breakfast style meal is usually about 11pm before I start work at 12 then "dinner" at 9am after work, then "tea" at around 2pm and sleep in the afternoon... as for logging food I usually do it all in the morning but as I usually eat the same set meals each day I know without logging how many calories etc I will consume so I've become a little lazy with inputting them.. just play around with meals and times until you find what suits you best as long as your calories fit into your allowance.
  • caseyshelton911
    caseyshelton911 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I was just worried I've been on days forever .. so I just didn't want to mess up being on nights. . When the girls come in for night shift they always carry bags of food.. I asked them why and they said since it's slower they boredom eat!! Yikes!! Makes me nervous!! I will defiantly be staying away from the vending machine!! My biggest concern was logging! ! So thanks for the input!!
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've worked nights for the better part of 20 years. I eat my meals at normal times. Only snacks, protein drinks and water during the night.
  • Jburlen2007
    Jburlen2007 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I work nights for 4 years. Log my breakfast (3/4 pm), lunch (9 pm) on current day, and dinner on next.

Don't boredom snack! Very hard to resist though
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Preplan and prepack your food. I cannot stress enough the importance of this. I will plan/pack for my work rotation on the morning of my first day on duty. (We are on a 2/2/3 schedule 12 hr shifts.) I pack "lunch", "dinner" and snack. I do breakfast at home always. Without being prepared in advance that vending machine or take-out menu will be screaming your name. Good Luck!
  • caseyshelton911
    caseyshelton911 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!! I feel better knowing it can be done!!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    I changed the diary settings to 12midnight-6AM, 6AM-noon, noon-6PM and 6PM-midnight and log according to the times eaten. I keep the midnight to midnight schedule that MFP uses so it's less confusing. My 3 12 hour shifts vary each week. I eat a real dinner before work (busy hospital unit, no meal breaks are more the norm), then bring foods to eat, mostly protein. If I am working again that night, I get up at 4P and eat dinner etc. If I'm off that night, I get up at 1P and try to be like normal people and eat lunch, dinner etc at "normal" times. 16 years of nights, down 111 lbs on MFP
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I found that I was over snacking at work. So now I bring 2 yogurts and one meal type food (healthy frozen dinner, leftovers or something similar). At least I tried to do that every night so I will have plenty of food. Some nights I don't eat it all and some nights I do. Frequently I will save a yogurt for my way home because I pass 10 fast food places on my way home and I don't want to be super hungry during my 35 minute drive home.

I also changed my meals to
    11P-7A
    7A-11P
    11P-3P
    3P-7P
    7P-11p

I made one my total work time just to see what all I was eating at work because I kept overeating during this time. But now I'm okay. Best wishes to you
  • sallymason88
    sallymason88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i have worked nightsfor years, I too prefer it I agree with what everyone else has mentioned. I count my calories midnight to midnight. My biggest tip,do not "reward" yourself for working nights. It is just work
  • kdblpn
    kdblpn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I work nights as well. I start my calories at 3pm everyday. I get up and cook dinner fir my famiky and eat with them. I bring apples, yogurt, some graham crackers, celery and carrots, and popcorn with me to work as well as ny lunch...tonight I had a grilled chicken breast with a cup of rice, and green beans. Other nights i bring mason jar salads. I have plenty of food to eat if i get hungry but usually i will have my yogurt about 9:30pm, lunch at 1am, and if i am hungry another snack at 4am. I go home in the morning and eat breakfast. Then its off to bed.
  • amethyst1973
    amethyst1973 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do some nights. I stick to logging it as if it were a normal day. I just change the times I eat a bit. I don't take heavy meals into work. So on my first night I will not eat much, try to sleep during the day and then have a meal before work. I will take a sandwich and snacks into work. I go for low calorie snacks so I am not going over my calories. The second night is easier as I get up late. Have a meal before work then snacks again for overnight. The third night I do the same but try to stay up when I get home as going into rest days so I will have a light lunch as evening meal as if a new day. It works for me.