Looking for a dinner recipe...

Options
thedreamhazer
thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
I'm lookiong to cook something new for dinner, but I'm at a loss! I have all this brown rice cooked up that I'd like to use, but I've already done stir-fry and "fried" rice this week, so I'd like to try something new.

What recipes do you have for brown rice + a lean protein (ground turkey or boneless, skinless chicken breast)?

(No beans, please --- I didn't put any out to soak this morning, so they wouldn't be ready in time since I don't have a pressure cooker and don't used canned. Sorry!)

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Could you do something kind of Mexican with it? Maybe season the turkey/chicken with taco seasoning or your own blend of garlic, cumin and chili powder. Add in some roasted corn, sauteed onions, salsa (or diced tomatoes and peppers, if you want fresher/lower sodium options), chopped cilantro. Maybe sprinkle some reduced fat cheddar and a dollop of sour cream on top.
  • iceysavannah
    Options
    I use www.allrecipes.com when looking for something new. You can search by different things, low fat, low cal, ingredients. Hope it helps.

~CD~
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    Stuff bell peppers with the rice and meat, cover in a bit of cheese and bake! Delish
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    @ upearly -- Didn't think of that, but adding in some roasted corn and fresh tomatoes sounds pretty good, and would require minimal shopping.... tagged as a possibility :)

@ needleknievel -- I adore stuffed bell peppers! Unfortunately, the second eprson i'm cooking for things they're just "crunchy water". He's weird like that. I bet I could trick him into it, though....

@iceysavannah -- I use the allrecipes.com ingredient search all the time! It's how I usually find recipes :)

(I like to run the recipes by my boyfriend to see what sounds good to him... his usual response is "I eat anything".)

[Edited because responses came through while I was posting last.]
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Brown Rice has become a good friend of mine :)

Depending on how Im cooking my protein, is how I make my rice.

Recently, Ive been making my own butter herb brown rice.

Warm up your rice, put a VERY SMALL amount of butter (its needed for the seasoning to stick to the rice versus just laying around loose. I use less than half a tablespoon for a couple cups of rice and it does the trick).
    Cut a lemon (not necessary, but adds extra flavor) and squeeze in about half a lemon.
    Add in some basil, thyme, dill, or any other 'green' spice you have in your cabinet. The amounts I use are never exact, so I add some, taste, then add some more.

I like to cook tilapia or chicken with this type of rice. I will usually season the protein with dill, lemon, and garlic (cooked in a foil bad on about 400-425 in the oven).
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options