When did 10 pounds make a big difference?

Options
13»

Replies

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm a shortie, but I took this picture and was surprised at how big of a difference ten pounds made, particularly in my face and tummy.

pdfqaekhh1uh.jpg
  • alphastarz
    alphastarz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was a bmi of 40, morbidly obese, when starting. I couldn't tell a difference after my first 35 lbs. lost by just looking in mirror and there was no change in clothing size. However, I had been logging the scale weight, taking key tape measurements, and taking progress reference photos. There absolutely WAS a difference every ten pounds in at least one or another indicator, even when obese. take good records and celebrate any and all progress. One thing I realized afterwards could have been encouraging for those starting out obese or morbidly obese, record your resting heart rate. Even if it's hard to tell a visual difference, your organs know the difference of how hard/easy simple tasks are without those ten pounds.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I started getting close to a "healthy" BMI. I started at 181 and there were definitely differences between 181 and 150, but once started losing weight at a BMI that is considered healthy I started seeing bigger changes with smaller numbers.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    BioQueen wrote: »
    For me it was when I started getting close to a "healthy" BMI. I started at 181 and there were definitely differences between 181 and 150, but once started losing weight at a BMI that is considered healthy I started seeing bigger changes with smaller numbers.

How tall are you?
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    I'm a shortie, but I took this picture and was surprised at how big of a difference ten pounds made, particularly in my face and tummy.

pdfqaekhh1uh.jpg

How tall are you?
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    karlis87 wrote: »
    I'm 5'7" and I noticed a big difference from 165 to 155

Thanks!! That's what I'm looking for. I know it varies person to person but I was just curious about others experience.

Me too. I'm 5'7", started around 190, and didn't notice much difference the first 20 lbs I went down ONE pants size. Then when I went down to 155 I lost another TWO more pants sizes.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options

How tall are you?

I'm 5'5"
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree the lower ur weight is the more 10 pounds off will show my "sw " was 180 nobody noticed till i hit 150 now after losing 10 pounds more im at 140 and ppl have noticed the weight loss more than ever
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I agree the lower ur weight is the more 10 pounds off will show my "sw " was 180 nobody noticed till i hit 150 now after losing 10 pounds more im at 140 and ppl have noticed the weight loss more than ever

I'm approaching the point where I think people will start noticing - but same phenomenon. I started at 197.3 and am 165.4 now. No one has noticed yet.
  • tara_means_star
    Options

I started this whole thing in the obese category. I'm 20 pounds from a healthy BMI so now I'm looking forward to a healthy BMI for one more reason :wink:
  • shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I had to lose about 40 pounds before *I* saw a difference. My family could see it before I could. But generally speaking, I need to be smaller before small amounts make a big difference.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I totally know...boy do I ever...when I was at my heaviest of 307 lb, I FELT better at 297 and 287 but no one noticed that's for sure.

For me I think there was a noticeable difference when losing 10 lb beginning when I was around 220. And it's just increased as I've gone lower. For example, when I have been in the 160s there are many changes versus the 170s where I'm at now.

But even from 181 to 174, for example, my "post vacation high weight" and current weight, there are noticeable differences in the way I look in pictures, and I have noticed around 174-176 is when I start feeling bones more in my legs, a bit of rib definition, can feel collarbone way more, etc. It amazes me that just 5-10 lb makes such a big difference especially since I'm still technically somewhat overweight as a 5'8" female. Way different from the days of gaining 40 lb and going from size 22 to 24. haha
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!