Starting Over at 50...The downward spiral stops today.

Options
I'm a 50 year old guy, married to a very supportive (and fit) woman, and we have a lovely 5-year old daughter... Yes, 5 !

I have been fluctuating from semi-fit to fat , and back to semi-fit for 25 years....Working out...stopping...starting again....eating right...then going back to the bad habits.You may know the tune....

OK: Just joined a gym and bought a bicycle....Bottome line: Up till now, I've never really eaten in a healthy manner, nor have I EVER truly committed my self to a long-term exercise program.

That all changes today...

I would like to make friends with and actually share motivation and food training ideas and advice with men and women who are using (or have used) strength training to achieve their goal of a fit, healthy and active life.

Thanks,

Lowell

Replies

• reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Nice to have you here!
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lowell, 50 year old here, too. I definitely know all about that dreaded spiral. But, the good thing is, the only thing that heads downward here is the weight. Good luck on your journey.
  • Lisabackontrack
    Options
    Welcome, I believe you will find some very supportive and kind friends on this site. I'm thrilled that I found it. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • EverythingIsKungFu
    Options
    Thank you!:glasses: (Florida)
  • dv7834
    dv7834 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Get a personal trainer. . I'm 54, similar situation to yours, and really didn't know my way around a gym any more. The PT helped immensely. Pricey? Yes, but worth every penny now that i'm getting results.
  • azkrea
    azkrea Posts: 3
    Options
    I am new and also over 50 and starting over. A personal trainer helps too. The little one should keep you on your toes. I would say get active with him. It is a whole different ballgame after 50. Good Luck!
  • EverythingIsKungFu
    Options
    :glasses: Thank you.
  • joycemhall
    joycemhall Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck. I'm starting over at 48, so I can relate. The food tracker is the best thing for me. I had no idea my portion control was so out of line until I started tracking everything. Make better food choices, limit your portion size and make yourself a priority when it comes to exercise. Feel free to add me if you like
  • avonchik
    avonchik Posts: 106
    Options
    Hi Im June, I know you will do just great here. Im OVER 50 and just started getting in shape again too! So glad your wife is supportive. Oh by the way i have 3 kids in their late 20s and an 11 year old son, and a 12 yr old grand daughter we are raising with o ur son!! So i know about having kids late in life!!! You will find lots of support here! Welcome!!:smile:
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    Welcome to MFP...I turned 50 this year myself and have been using MFP to change my eating habits by being accountable for what I eat, this site is an amazing tool. I have dropped 63 pounds overall and the last 23 using MFP and mananging my caloric in-take. My goal was to get fit but this journey has taken me so much further than getting fit, it has changed my lifestyle and I have met a few very wonderful people on here. Good luck to you and feel free to add me.