need to lose weight, but hate cardio!

Options
Hey guys any ideas on how to lose weight without cardio? Ive tried different calorie deficits and training regimes but it seems the addition of cardio seems to be the only answer. There are people that claim to lose weight without cardio but I haven't had such success, any ideas guys?

Replies

• the_fit_chef
    the_fit_chef Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What about weight lifting? Replacing fat with muscle.
    How much do you have to loose?
  • jonoc87
    jonoc87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am weight lifting at the moment, im at 83kg now im aimming for about 75kg.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, it's because you're not in a calorie deficit. Exercise isn't needed to lose. It helps to preserve muscle if you resistance train and improve your cardiovascular fitness if you do cardio though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    What about weight lifting? Replacing fat with muscle.
    How much do you have to loose?
    It's unlikely that someone who's not obese, a returning athlete or a total newbie to lifting will gain muscle on a calorie deficit. Based on the experience of the OP, it's improbable to build muscle on a deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jonoc87
    Options
    Hmm it seems I must be over calculating my total daily energy expenditure. Thanks for the help!
  • latineyes2
    latineyes2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What about Cardio do you not like? Cardio doesn't have to be running or on a treadmill or stationary bike. There are 100's of ways to get your Cardio in. And it's very possible that it's boring so you dread it. Try making a game out of it. I personally love listening to Salsa music while doing cardio. When I'm on the treadmill or walking the track at my daughter's school, I dance. When I'm in between sets or stretching and a song comes on that is feeling me, I dance. That's cardio! I also enjoy boxing. So I shadow box/dance on the treadmill or walking. Cardio can be super boring and who the heck wants to watch TV! So I turn it into something fun. Oddly enough, I now crave my cardio routine and I JUST STARTED!!!

Try something different and perhaps that will help! Cardio is important to get your body warm, blood flowing and heart rate up to help burn fat during your weight lifting routine. So try doing something creative instead. Good luck!
  • jonoc87
    Options
    I have sports induced asthma which basically makes breathing feel like im breathing through a straw, which is no excuse I know but I simply dont enjoy it. Sports with friends is probably the best type of cardio for me but due to the work commitments of others it is hard to organise more than once a week. I wish I could crave cardio that would be awesome ☺