Recovering From a Car Accident

Options
samiadg
samiadg Posts: 18 Member
edited January 2016 in Getting Started
Ok, so two weeks on here. I have gained weight as a result of minimal activity after a bad car accident almost 2 years ago. Recovery is intense and every day is a new issue. (cardio only means walking; and strength training only means focus on what's damaged. so what is normal exercise to everyone else, is beyond my reach right now. anyone else going through this.

Replies

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hello! You have survived a bad car accident and you are working hard getting better every day. You are a fighter!
    I've personally never gone through something like that, so I can't offer advice on that side.
    But what I can tell you that walking, and any exercise you do is great! With a balanced diet it will help you lose the weight you want to lose. Just don't get discouraged! Good luck!!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I had a car accident that required 3 surgeries, six years ago. I could not walk for 5 months. It took me almost 18 months to recover my muscle lost due to inactivity.
    You can do this. Follow your Doctor and your therapist advice.
    Be very, very,very patient.
    I am grateful every day that I survived the accident and that I am able to walk.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Razzyirt
    Razzyirt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I agree....just take it one day at a time...and go nice and slow. Be patient with yourself. And be kind to yourself.

I was in a car accident over 3 years ago. I required several surgeries, lost my job and was bedridden for over 3 months. I also suffered a deep depression.

In the end, I gained weight. My first attempt at weight lost led to 15 lbs down. I stayed at that weight for about a year. And now I'm trying to lose some more.

It took a good 1.5 years of physio and a lot of work. I'm now at the point where I can go for decent length walks and I do yoga. I have not been able to return to heavier exercise yet. But, I'm getting there.

As hard as it is, the best advice I have is one step at a time, and that it will be a long process. But, over time, it tends to get better. Good luck!
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I can't possibly imagine what you are going through. I have had my share of accidents during work. One time a grocery store shelving unit fell over on my leg. I got sciatica from it. Pain would shoot down from my back to my right leg. Even the weather would effect how I felt that day because of it. Went to physical therapy and discovered I also had a bone spur that was causing pain under my heel. Doctor restricted what I can do and how much I can lift. Therapy never helped and one thing that they never told me was exercise helps heal the body. I found that out after doing research about nutrition. Blood is the healer. Exercise promotes oxygen and blood flow. Proper nutrition gives the body what it needs to do the job. Even though I was in pain I began exercising, walking then running. The doctor couldn't do anything for me except give me rest so I became my own doctor because I wanted to go back to work. My sciatica is gone and my bone spur is gone because I had the knowledge to fix myself. I'm not saying you should push yourself too far because I have no idea what it is you are going through so take it slow, but allow yourself to grow.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've had 2, first one 6 yrs ago, I suffered bad whiplash and back injuries, I gained 4 stone (48 lbs) following this crash and this was the catalyst to get me started on here. ........

At this time I bought a treadmill and used it for walking. .....I started doing 15 mins at 2mph. .....that's all I could manage. .........I also found mfp at this time. ....and in 12 months I lost 5 stone, (60lbs) .......

Crash 2

3 yrs ago I was hit side on at 70 mhp at least, this was a bad crash, nearly lost my ear, side of face in shreds and I had severe internal injuries, I had (still suffer from slightly ) massive bruising and swelling round my organs, putting pressure on heart and lungs causing all sorts of problems. .......

It took 6 months to get me able to exercise again, again old faithful treadmill and walking. .......

Last year I got to my lowest weight in 27 years. .....losing 2 stone buy walking, little jogging ( I jogged no more than 5 mins a treadmill session and am still only at that level now. )

One thing is to listen to your body and don't overdo things, take it steady and you'll get better in time. .....

For me learning the food side is more important, as that is what you depend on at times where you can't exercise like these crashes. .........so eating right means not gaining when inactive. .......

Good luck hope you recover quickly. ....
  • samiadg
    Options
    I see from all of you a theme of great advice. Take it slow, be patient and it takes time.

Gskiki: Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I hope you never get into any accidents.

Socioguru: Thank you for reminding me how blessed I am and that it could have been worse. Way to go on your progress! And yes, I guess patience is so key. Thank you.

fatjon73: You are amazing! Congrats on your weightloss, that is soo encouraging. I will listen to my body, but the food is still a bit tricky for me.

Beatyfamily1: You are right, therapy isnt working for me either. not physio, I cant last through ten mins of yoga either even though I believe the stretching really helps once i can handle it. and what an amazing and true revelation: `we have to become our own doctors'. this is so true. Its so impressive also that your sciatica is gone. Did you work specifically on it somehow, or just with the general exercise you did it went away?

Razzyirt: its crazy how much suffers after a car accident. I am sorry you went through so much, but again, am so encouraged by your progress. The first thing doctors do it seems, is offer you instant anti depressants. They seem to be de sensitized from how life changing and restrictive accidents can be on people. Thank you for your response, and keep up your progress. I am so impressed by your traction.

And to all of you who responded: I am so amazed, encouraged and impressed by all of you. I dont feel hopeless! THANK YOU!
  • marshaeb93
    marshaeb93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis in my lower back so there are a few exercises I can't do without causing a muscle spasm (you think a charlie horse in your calf is bad try one in your back!). And I was kick boxing 3x a week and doing Strength training 3x a week - and then because of my back causing my pelvis to have a tilt, I tore the LABRUM ligament in both my hips. So now I can't do any leg day exercises. I'm currently going through physical therapy to try and strengthen my hips muscles up to where I can start doing strength training again but so far I'm not really getting anywhere. :( so I totally get what your going through.
  • samiadg
    Options
    marshaeb93: That sounds so painful. Sorry to hear you are going through all that. I hope that you are reading all the advice above......the time and patience is key and we cant be too hard on ourselves.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I got a *kitten* load of Tramadol pain killers after my second crash, and in 8 weeks became addicted to them, Although I needed them to start with for pain, I soon felt wheezy and wobbly on then, so tried to cut them down, and it made me worse, was told it was addition withdrawals, and I had to wean myself off them over a 8 week period.....

So be careful what you do take and only take them if needed....
  • samiadg
    Options
    fatjon73: Its horrible how addictive they are. more horrible is the need for them. so you are off them completely now? if so, that's an accomplishment in itself. I've always been careful with pain killers. not a big fan of them unless absolutely required. so I hear ya :)