Your favourite low calorie/fat lunch

Options
cxeex
cxeex Posts: 121 Member
I'm running out of ideas for lunch in work. Am sick of boring salads! Want something quick and easy but very low calorie and low fat. A friend eats chicken with raw broccoli and cauliflower? Is this ok?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What wouldn't be okay about chicken and raw vegetables? Do you have a medical condition that requires you to avoid those items?

Other low calorie lunches include brothy soups, vegetable noodles (zucchini/cucumber) in a low calorie sauce (I make a peanut sauce with PB2), and sandwiches on sandwich thins with your low calorie toppings of choice.
  • FemmeFireRL
    FemmeFireRL Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Chris and Heidi Powell's new book Extreme Transformation for some terrific meal ideas. I spend a few hours yesterday preparing my meals for work this week and they smell and taste delicious!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Soups, you can buy it tinned if you don't want to make it yourself. I like lentil based soups so that I get some protein. Beans added to soups are good to.
    Left over stir fries are another one I tend to take with me.
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would think this would become as boring as salads after a short time. It's helpful to enjoy what you eat. I generally try to find recipes I like and make enough at dinner for leftovers the next day. You can tweak most recipes in minor ways that will make them better align with your dietary goals. I like to use Pinterest to find/store recipes for future use. There's also sites like Cooking Light, Eating Well, etc, for recipes.

Be careful not to cut too much fat from your diet. Fat is essential for your body to absorb nutrients and to help keep you feeling full, which will help you stay on track.
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You could try lettuce wraps instead of using bread. Or a cous cous salad with chicken.
  • jmbajb921
    jmbajb921 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually have a can of tuna with an avocado mashed in it. Then have a cup of plain greek yogurt with my own fruit mixed in. Low cal, high protein, keeps me full for a long while.
  • bugseypimberton
    bugseypimberton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try sandwiches. I know. I know! Bread! But who says bread is bad? It depends on the kind of bread and what you put in it! Pepperidge Farm makes this super thin sliced bread. It's small. I mean itsy bitsy. But believe it or not its around the size of the bread we had on store shelves in the 1950s (back in my childhood years) from a local bakery. http://www.pepperidgefarm.com Three slices is 120 calories so if you monitor everything else you put in, you'll do good.

Another lunch I like, and if you're not low sodium you can pull these off easily, are weight watchers' frozen entrees. Heck, buy some michelinas frozen entrees and add some steamed veggies to them (no butter!)

Really, who says lunch has to be a salad?
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I make burrito bowls, a chicken haystack thing, tortilla pizza which is more like flatbread pizza, I have grilled chicken with peas, homemade ham and bean soup, dinner leftovers. You can do sandwiches I can't because I am watching sodium due to my kidney disease.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I take a whole wheat English muffin (100 cals) and make mini pizzas. You can buy low fat mozzerella cheese and top it with precooked chicken, tomato, onion and drizzle of bbq sauce to make yummy bbq chicken ones. My favorite is a margarita pizza - pizza sauce, cheese, a thin slice of tomato, cook it then top it with a drizzle with a homemade balsamic reduction and fresh basil SO good! :)

I cook mine at 425 for 7-10 minutes usually.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have a few things that I rotate for lunch at work (I have access to a fridge/freezer, toaster oven and microwave) -

Salads with grilled chicken
    Baked potato (in microwave - doesnt take too long!) with FF cheddar cheese
    Ground turkey/rice/green beans (I make 3 portions on Sunday)
    Sandwich thin with cracked pepper turkey, one slice of ultra thin cheddar and spicy mustard
    Tomato soup/crackers
    A frozen meal (Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones) - 1x a week at most
    LEFTOVERS! The best lunch ever :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad on whole wheat (dressing: equal parts light mayo & pickle relish). Use a low carb wrap if you are low carbing, but Sara Lee 100% whole wheat is only 60 calories a slice.

Egg salad on whole wheat. 1 whole egg & 1/2 egg white. dressing: equal parts light mayo and greek yogurt, add mustard, etc

Broth based soups. Look for decent protein counts.

Baked potato with broccoli & cheese sauce. You can buy Green Giant (or Pictsweet) single serving dishes.

Cottage cheese & fruit. With a side of whole grain crackers.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I love quiche!! I grab a bowl and crack 10 egg whites and 3 whole eggs whisk up then grab a12 hole muffin pan and evenly divide egg mixture between them.....then the fun part add whatever tickles your fancy some I put tomato bacon and basil, others veggies (cooked in microwave first) or spinach and low fat feta!!! The choices are endless and The awesome thing is I can easily calculate the calories of them and they are so yummy!!!
  • schindml09
    schindml09 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @cxeex here's an easy one for you. It is one of my favorites for a quick lunch: pita with hummus, sliced cucumbers, radishes, carrots and sprouts