Couch to 5K reviews/thoughts?

Options
Thinking of doing couch to 5k. I'm in relatively decent shape, need to fit in cardio & am training for a pageant. Any reviews of couch to 5k?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I liked it.

Be cautioned that it's really a couch to 30 minutes of running plan, not couch to completely running 5k. You should be able to finish a 5k by the end but it may not be within 30 minutes and you may not run the entire time.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I like it.

It's a good program to ease in to. But also, listen to your body. If your legs or feet start screaming at you and you feel the need to stop and take a break, then do it. Do not push yourself. I ended up with an injury that way which sidelined me for months. But overall, it's a good training program.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I used it with success. There were a couple of workouts I needed to repeat because I couldn't do them the first time, but that's pretty normal for any plan. I made it through the whole thing without any injuries or set backs, and I was starting from scratch.

I have to say, though, that 4 years later I haven't gotten very good at running 5k's and running is still very difficult for me. If you are going to do c25k and your goal is to keep running long term you should have a plan for when the c25k program ends.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's a good plan, but don't be afraid to repeat weeks, especially in the early stages. Don't move on until you feel really good about how you did on the week's workouts.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in September and did my first 5K on December 5. I'm so happy I've achieved this!

I did 2 days of C25K each week and one day walking/running my best at parkrun (5K) on Saturdays, so I skipped one C25K day a week.

The parkrunning really helped me get up to 5K (in 36 minutes 43 seconds). As @jemhh said, C25K only goes up to 30 minutes.

I used the Zen Labs app, and thought it was good. It lets you use your own music from iTunes.

But I'm not too sure I like the Zen Labs 10K app. It goes from the last day of C25K at 30 minutes up to three lots of 15 minutes - 45 minutes running. I think this caused me my current sore hip muscles.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I did both the c25k and the b210k with zen labs. I loved it. I've rested a bit but I've been doing 13 miles on the weekends. I love running now.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started it at 300lbs in April-13. I'm now 175lbs, have run 3 marathons & one 33 mile ultra marathon in 2015 (plus a heap of 10ks and half marathons). I can't praise C25k highly enough - I went from someone who couldn't understand why any one would want to run to it being one of the most important things in my life!

The first few weeks are hard - best tip I had was however slow you think you're going, go slower! Its about getting muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones used to running as about pace. For many people the programme gets then capable of running none stop for 30mins and not necessarily 5k. A sub 30min 5k took me about 3 months of regular (10-15 miles a week) running after completing the programme.

And as above, once you're upto the distance (regardless of if it takes you 40mins) find your local parkrun and go along. parkrun is a fantastic free weekly 5k run and brilliant for getting into running in a supportive atmosphere.
  • azelizabeth
    azelizabeth Posts: 34 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I love it! Being overweight my entire life I was programmed to think that I can't run. I am down 45lbs and on week 3 of C25k.....but have been doing it for a month. My first 5k is in Feb. Not sure if I will walk it or combo walk/run. I actually try to walk 10 additional minutes after the 30min is over so that I get more exercise in.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in February of 2015 at a decent level of fitness but no with no running experience. It worked wonderfully for me - I did my first 5k race in May 2015, as well as two more and a 5k mud run by the end of the year.

I definitely agree with posters above who say don't be afraid to go slow. I started out running less than 4mph until my legs and hips were up to going faster than that.
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I started last Spring and while I still cannot run a whole 5k, I will get there. There are a few things that I learned, first of all form is huge, second make sure you have good shoes. Go to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes that can analyze your gait. Finally for some of us the 5 minute warm up walk is not enough, so do what you need to in the stretching department. My injury set me back several months and lots of physical therapy. All in all I never thought I would enjoy running but I do. Give it a whirl, work at your own pace and do not feel bad about staying on day multiple times until you feel good about moving to the next one.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I honestly LOVED the program! I always wanted to run, to be a runner, but whenever I had tried without any program, I went too far too fast, was hurting the next day, decided I hated running and quit. This program let me start SLOWLY, really slowly which is what I needed. I started the program back in September 2015 and ran 9 miles straight yesterday. It is been invaluable to me. I LOVE running which I never ever ever thought I would say.

If a day is tough, repeat it. Don't run every day if you're sore. I listened to my body and did run back to back days if I felt good but didnt worry about missing a day if I didn't. I personally was running a full 5k in 30 minutes at the end of the program - but it really is more of a "run for 30 minutes straight" program more than a 5k program and while you may be running 30 mins at the end, you may not be running 3 miles depending on your pace but it is a REALLY good way to start running. I highly recommend!
  • Tashtherunner
    Tashtherunner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k in 2011 and was very unfit. Having said that, I cannot praise the program enough. It got me into running to the point where I completed my first half marathon last year and run roughly five times a week, a minimum of 5k. It's a great program that'll build up your cardiovascular endurance in a very manageable way.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    C25K works great. The secret: don't run too fast. Your running should all be done at a conversational pace, even if it means you're running barely faster than you walk. If you can't speak in complete sentences, slow down until you can.

C25K is really about getting to the point where you can run 30 minutes without stopping, whether it's 5K, less, or more. For many people, it's less. But beginners get big gains in fitness from only moderate stress, and if every run leaves you feeling like you're gasping for breath, you're likely to get discouraged and quit. Stick with the program, and then, after you finish, you can work on getting faster if you want.
  • SMoorcroft
    SMoorcroft Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's fab!! I started C25K this time last year, I ran my first half marathon in Sept and am currently training for this year's London Marathon .... And it all started with Couch to 5K! X good luck x
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've just started week 2 and I'm enjoying it. Had to take a little longer than a week to be ready to move up but that's my fitness level.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I did both the c25k and the b210k with zen labs. I loved it. I've rested a bit but I've been doing 13 miles on the weekends. I love running now.

This is the exact same for me. I loved both apps and am currently training for my first half. C25K is a huge part of what set me up to start running consistently and to actually love doing it.

And to echo many others, don't be afraid to repeat a workout if necessary. Good luck!
  • hhazlett62
    hhazlett62 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try it tomorrow (Tuesday ), and try it do it Tuesday's, Thursday's & Saturday's. Fingers crossed it goes well :-) thank you everyone for the helpful info, I really appreciate it. Will check back in tomorrow with an update :)
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Loved it!
  • HollyRae
    HollyRae Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I've also been considering trying c25k.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    hhazlett62 wrote: »
    I'm going to try it tomorrow (Tuesday ), and try it do it Tuesday's, Thursday's & Saturday's. Fingers crossed it goes well :-) thank you everyone for the helpful info, I really appreciate it. Will check back in tomorrow with an update :)

There is also a Couch25K group here on MFP where you can post your daily progress, or discuss which app/version of the program works best for you. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I love the Couch25K program. Like many have stated here, have always been overweight = always hated running. The program really starts you off a great pace to build up your fitness and endurance.