callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I tried to read the article, but I'm too drunk to see the screen, hic

im too hungover to care :P
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Favorite Comments from NPR article posted above by OP:

I'm taking a dry January. You just know when it's time. I have no intention of abstaining from alcohol forever because I love beer too much, but I really let myself go last year. Day 6. The interesting thing is that I find myself with more free time now. You don't really do much after you're a couple beers deep.

Peter Eastwood Bob Douglass • a year ago

"Time flies when you're having fun."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

When I was a heavy drinker, my quality of life stank. So, even if we truly are in bizarro world where heavy drinkers live longer, I wouldn't want to.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I agree with the final statement. Before I got back serious on MFP I tried not drinking for a month. Made no difference. So I went the other direction and have at least 1-2, 5-6 days a week. Happily maintaining right now :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    I agree with the final statement. Before I got back serious on MFP I tried not drinking for a month. Made no difference. So I went the other direction and have at least 1-2, 5-6 days a week. Happily maintaining right now :)

you. i like.

i drink mostly on the weekends. and mostly in the summer.

i plan for it. just like every other food i put in my body. lol
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    We all have the ability to choose our poison. It's always struck me that when someone abstains from a particular poison, folks get so defensive about it.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    We all have the ability to choose our poison. It's always struck me that when someone abstains from a particular poison, folks get so defensive about it.

I don't think anyone is getting defensive. We are just all sharing different points of view. Sometimes these forums become a THIS IS HOW TO DO IT AND ITS THE ONLY WAY IT CAN BE DONE deal.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    did it last year and had great results
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    The other way around here. I put all the weight on from drinking my bottle of wine a night. I took 40 pounds off just from quitting drinking.

In December I went back to my old habits. Guess what? I gained 8 pounds in 3 weeks. Drinking stimulates my appetite, too!

Back off the booze now.
  • chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Wine is good for you. Dark chocolate is good for you. Cheese is protein. So when I have my wine/cheese/chocolate night I'm actually helping myself out. Or at least that's what I tell myself :lol:
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I was a heavy drinker, my quality of life stank. So, even if we truly are in bizarro world where heavy drinkers live longer, I wouldn't want to.

I wouldn't advocate heavy drinking. However, I think somewhere between heavy drinking and abstaining is a healthy place for a person who doesn't suffer from addiction. I include beer in my diet without any problems.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

I don't think anyone is getting defensive. We are just all sharing different points of view. Sometimes these forums become a THIS IS HOW TO DO IT AND ITS THE ONLY WAY IT CAN BE DONE deal.

see. i was right, i like you.

no one was defensive. smart *kitten* jokers, for sure (that is what i do best after all. well, one of the things, anyways) but not defensive. no skin off my back if someone thinks a month of not drinking beer will make a difference in their life (barring addictions of course, but I don't think this is what we're discussing- casual drinking is not the same as being an alcoholic)
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

see. i was right, i like you.

no one was defensive. smart *kitten* jokers, for sure (that is what i do best after all. well, one of the things, anyways) but not defensive. no skin off my back if someone thinks a month of not drinking beer will make a difference in their life (barring addictions of course, but I don't think this is what we're discussing- casual drinking is not the same as being an alcoholic)

right back at you ;)