Activity level

Options
When I put in my activity level, I put very active because one, I'm a teacher and I rarely sit down. I teach elementary and we're always on the move. Two, I have four kids, under 9. I'm always chasin the 2 year old, or we're playing outside or moving. Bedtime seems like the only time I'm still. But, I decided to change it to active after setting up my mom's account. It dropped my calories by 300. I work out 4-5 times a week, 2-3 being running. I just want to make sure I'm getting enough to lose. Any thoughts?!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you had it set at "very active," were you losing weight? The activity level refers to your daily activities (not your exercise), so you want to base it on that. Exercise is logged separately on MFP.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    most people think they are more active than they really are.

if you have a fitbit or pedometer, how many steps a day do you get in (even if you borrow one from a friend for a day or two - i lend mine out all the time!) thats really the best way to figure it out.

until you know for sure.... i would say lightly active, and only because youre a teacher and likely on your feet most of the day. even then, ive seen some teachers be in the sedentary category.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yeah... "Active" is more akin to construction worker or a UPS truck loader. 90% of people tend to over estimate their activity and under estimate their food. When in doubt... over estimate your food and under estimate your activity. You may feel "sedentary" is a vast under estimate.... but when your under estimates of the creamer in your coffee and the over estimates of how hard that last workout was add up... its very easy for things to equalize.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm also a teacher, I work with special ed kids mostly in kindergarten. We are constantly on the move, I'm on my feet all day long running, jumping, dancing with them. Then I have four children of my own at home so I'm extremely active at home. I also workout 7 days out of the week. Even thought I'm super busy, I still have mine set to slightly active because I would rather under estimate my calories burned than over estimate them.