Food scale

Options
so this may be a dumb question. But what is your process for weighing your food. I generally do not cook (blessed with hubbie who is a gourmet cook). He generally plates our food.

Do you plate your own food? (He wouldn't like me in his kitchen).

What about lunches? What about eating out?

I believe you but can't figure out the process.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I make my own food. I weigh it all uncooked. If I'm packing lunch I weigh it all before I pack. If I'm eating out, I'm so used to weighing-I eyeball everything, sometimes even down to the gram. Add a tablespoon of oil and I can get pretty close.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My husband also loves to cook, but we had the conversation about him "supporting" my logging commitment by either weighing out portions for me or letting me weigh and plate myself. He chose the latter.

Also, where once he was a "splash and eyeball" kind of cook, I asked him to measure ingredients. At first, he fussed a but that it "made cooking less fun" when he had to to measure; but when I chose to eat canned soup a couple of nights for dinner because he couldn't tell me how much olive oil or flour was in a dish he'd prepared, he realized I was serious about logging as accurately as possible.

It took a few weeks, but now he appreciates my commitment and progress, and makes an effort to cook healthy.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    What an interesting question. The hubby doesn't cook much for me. We eat very differently and tend to just prepare our own food, but I let him cook sometimes because I know he likes doing it. For those meals, I generally forgo the weighing and just estimate.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When we cooked a meal I prepare my plate. I measure everything. last night for dinner I measured mashed potatoes, mushrooms, looked up my food on MFP. My husband commented to my daughter, "watching mom measure her food is weird" I don't care. If I have lunch our, I plan what I'm going to eat before I go.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yeah...I make my own food. I weigh it all uncooked. If I'm packing lunch I weigh it all before I pack. If I'm eating out, I'm so used to weighing-I eyeball everything, sometimes even down to the gram. Add a tablespoon of oil and I can get pretty close.

Not sure I understand why you weigh uncooked instead of afterwards. Please explain. Thanks
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything within reason.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Jbell0213 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

Not sure I understand why you weigh uncooked instead of afterwards. Please explain. Thanks

Because the calories are given for uncooked, dry.
  • Murphles1210
    Murphles1210 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow these are helpful.
  • simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My husband also loves to cook, but we had the conversation about him "supporting" my logging commitment by either weighing out portions for me or letting me weigh and plate myself. He chose the latter.

Also, where once he was a "splash and eyeball" kind of cook, I asked him to measure ingredients. At first, he fussed a but that it "made cooking less fun" when he had to to measure; but when I chose to eat canned soup a couple of nights for dinner because he couldn't tell me how much olive oil or flour was in a dish he'd prepared, he realized I was serious about logging as accurately as possible.

It took a few weeks, but now he appreciates my commitment and progress, and makes an effort to cook healthy.

I agree with this. Don't let someone else or the status quo keep you from achieving your goals. Either he helps you with this, or you start cooking in "his kitchen" for yourself.
  • DJ2963
    DJ2963 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I guess I had better get a food scale. Any advice on what kind?
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Don't let someone else or the status quo keep you from achieving your goals. Either he helps you with this, or you start cooking in "his kitchen" for yourself.

Except when you are eating canned soup instead of a gourmet meal cooked by a spouse. Just be adamant about measures or help