Avoiding Food!

Options
I can't believe I just are a cheese bagel with cream cheese. I should have went with my first mind and ate my Special K. How do avoid eating these types of things when co-workers bring in breakfast/lunch/potlucks?

Replies

• CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Good ol' fashion will power. My employer provides bagels every Friday and I had to stop allowing myself to mill around when they came in otherwise I'd find a reason to meander over to the table and grab one...or TWO! wtf?

They also do 'beer bash friday', where every friday, they bring in gobs of awesome food and beer! Had to avoid that like the plague as well. I'd just stay at my desk, LOL
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a small serving if I really want it, otherwise I just binge later. So take half a bagel and avoid the cream cheese...
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Good ol' fashion will power. My employer provides bagels every Friday and I had to stop allowing myself to mill around when they came in otherwise I'd find a reason to meander over to the table and grab one...or TWO! wtf?

They also do 'beer bash friday', where every friday, they bring in gobs of awesome food and beer! Had to avoid that like the plague as well. I'd just stay at my desk, LOL

Your employer brings beer to work??? Damn, I want THAT job! :)
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    Though it's easy to say "avoid the food", it's not always easy to do. People want to feel a part of the group, which sometimes--ok almost always--includes FOOD. I would say next time don't have the entire bagel, but half. And have an alternative at the office to the fatty cream cheese... maybe sugar free jelly to put on the half bagel. Or a tablespoon of low sodium peanut butter to help fill you up. Don't beat yourself up over having the bagel--it's over and done with--lesson learned.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    mmm, cheeese....

have a piece and then go back with your original plan.

yea... WILL power is the name of the game here.
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself feeling like you just HAVE to have a bagel, scoop out most of the center and throw it away. Its still not great for you, but its a lot of extra calories gone and you still get the taste.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2009/12/03/cut-calories/
    "Get the Scoop
    The average deli bagel packs at least 300 calories -- and that's before you add butter or cream cheese. Hollow out the inside (about a third of the bagel) and you'll downsize by at least 100 calories."
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    [/quote]

LMFAO! DITTO!
  • GingerbreadArtist
    GingerbreadArtist Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I always have an apple at my desk.... when someone brings in snack food, for example the other day someone brought in Potato Chips dipped in Chocolate.... I immediatly started chomping on my apple.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options

LOL I couldn't believe it either. It was great til I packed on 20# in the first year working here. Glad I work from home now. Easy to avoid that way! LOLOL
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

LMFAO! DITTO!
    [/quote]

Riiiight?! Where do i apply?! lol
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have asked my coworkers to exclude me from their eatings except on Fridays. If they know you're serious they will respect your choices. Bring your own food and eat it. The temptations that you give into (Like the cheese bagel) only make you have regrets - think now about how you're feeling and ask yourself (cuz only you know) - why did you eat it? You made the choice, you need to find out why you made a poor choice. (The internalizing is probably the hardest part of this journey for me - so I have been where you are and I struggle with it DAILY!)

Keep your head up - don't beat yourself up about it - try to understand it and make a better choice next time you are ready to eat again. Tell the coworkers that if they want you to participate - they need to bring some fruit or yogart next time! :0)
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    oh ya, and not that this will help when the boss brings in a bag of bagels, but i get by with Bagel Thins and Smart Bagels. They are those super thin bagels, a whopping hundred calories. Maybe bring a bag to work with you and leave it at your desk so you can grab one when everyone else is chowing down on the big thick bagels?
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Though it's easy to say "avoid the food", it's not always easy to do. People want to feel a part of the group, which sometimes--ok almost always--includes FOOD. I would say next time don't have the entire bagel, but half. And have an alternative at the office to the fatty cream cheese... maybe sugar free jelly to put on the half bagel. Or a tablespoon of low sodium peanut butter to help fill you up. Don't beat yourself up over having the bagel--it's over and done with--lesson learned.

The only way I can ever do a sensible portion of something like this (ie: half a bagel) is by throwing the other half in the trash immediately. Otherwise, well, it starts out as good intentions, and ends up a whole bagel in my stomach, LOL For me, it was easier to be the outcast who stayed at her desk while everyone else chowed down.
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    You have find your "trigger foods" & avoid them like the swine flu!!! LOL!!! Seriously, that is what I do. I know that if I eat a bagel in the morning then my whole day all I will want is more of it. Breads are my "trigger" foods. Especially home baked breads! So I try to not bake unless I am baking for someone else & I try to eat lots of high fiber/high protein foods especially in the morning. Just find what works for you & go with it. Reward yourself with something lovely instead of something yummy.
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your Daily food Diary plan...go for it.

If you think you are going to be faced with this situation ...plan ahead and bring a bagel thin (100 cals) and an individual sized cream cheese (for example...Philly = 90 cals) so you are then having a 190 cal snack that you have in your Daily Food Diary plan and voila' ....No Problem with your diet or plan. :happy:
  • LavendersMom
    LavendersMom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know it's will power, but the good thing is, I dont eat bagels everyday, and I eat good almost, all the time.

Wish my job brought in beer!