My Story Of Success In A Year - Losing Weight And Getting Off Diabetes Medication

Options
Diana_GettingFit
Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
edited December 2015 in Success Stories
This time last year I went to the doctor and my A1C was 7.2, which is kind of high. The doctor wanted to put me on a second medication. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I've been on Metformin since August 2008. When my wife and I researched the second drug (I don't remember the name) we found it's strongly linked with liver failure. So the doctor wanted to treat one chronic problem by possibly causing a second chronic problem. No thanks! Something in me just snapped and I decided I wasn't going to live like this any more.

Last winter was one of the coldest I've ever experienced so getting out to exercise wasn't much of an option. Other than shoveling snow, anyway. At least that was cardio, right?

When March rolled around I was out walking every day, gradually building up to running. Around that time I discovered MFP and began counting calories.

In April I noticed my fasting sugar was getting low, even into the 60's. Off my own back I weaned myself down to taking just one Metformin pill a day. Then by the 21st (my birthday) I stopped taking it all together. I monitored my sugar closely, testing my fasting every day. It averaged in the 70's and 80's every day.

In June I went back for a check up and my A1C was 5.8. The doctor told me I didn't need to be taking Metformin any more. (I went back in November and my A1C was 5.5.)

Through MFP and running my weight has gone from 190 in March to 161 currently. I still monitor my fasting sugar and it's still averaging in the 70's and 80's.

wj6fo4c0ykwb.jpg

oemcvkvat83e.jpg

I'm sharing this to show fellow type 2 diabetics what is possible. If I can do it then you can too.

Replies

• Diana_GettingFit
    Options
    Apologies for the size of the photos. I don't know how to make them smaller lol
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Thanks for sharing!
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • DanielleMFrazier
    Options
    Congratulations! That is such a great accomplishment!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What a success! Super congrats!!
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing. You look a lot younger in that second pic!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Very well done!
  • yesssiwanttolose
    yesssiwanttolose Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Impressed! I am a type 2 diabetic... I can only hope my blood sugar a1c goes down like yours!!! Congrats!!!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Options
    Thanks all. Yesss you can get off medication too if you want it hard enough. It's not easy but it's so worth the effort!
  • ozmaldonado
    ozmaldonado Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and just started nighttime insulin. Thank you for the inspiration and congratulations!!!
  • EmilyNan
    EmilyNan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Type 2 runs in my family and my Dad had it. I had to watch him shoot up with insulin my whole life. And then had to watch him suffer from blood poisoning...twice. Which nearly killed him both times. All caused by a cut on his toe. And then I had to watch him die. He was 59 years old. Diabetes is serious stuff. It's amazing that you are off the metformin! I wish you continued success and long lasting Health!
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Amazing stuff. You took ownership for your health and you have probably gained back years!! Well done, an inspiration for us all. This is something that from reading success stories everyday, I think I can safely say.. we all need to be in this for life, no more fads, just a little thought, consideration and respect for yourself. I've had a 'naughty' day today but I still scanned my packets and even though I've gone over my daily goal by 467, tomorrow is a new day. We are all accountable for our own health and the choices that we make, I need to be in this for life or I won't have one basically!! You have shown obesity who's boss and I congratulate you.. So much admiration for you Sir!!
  • pamital
    pamital Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    First of all, huge congratulations! Can I ask, what kind of stuff were you eating? I'm type 2 aswell and I'm going to use this app again. Did you restrict carbs or just eat 'healthily'? Thanks in advance!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Pamital, to be honest I don't really watch what I eat that much. Once in a while I'll have a Dunkin Donuts toasted bagel with cream cheese. I still have bread, pasta and other carby foods. I test my fasting sugar every morning and I'm averaging in the 70's and 80's. I guess what has changed is portion sizes and I tend to eat smaller meals more often. I tend to make some better choices. I used to eat a lot of chocolate. I now have two Kitkat miniatures each day as a treat, instead of a whole bar of chocolate. I know every day I run the next two or three days my fasting sugar is in the 70's. I know my diabetes was self inflicted. It was purely diet and poor exercise related. Making those simple changes has reversed my diabetes. I just wish I'd made these changes 20 years ago when I started gaining weight.
  • pamital
    pamital Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks. This helps a lot!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    x4ilkkeqijk3.gif

Oh, bravo ...... that's amazing ...... enjoy your healthy new lifestyle !

This is what I'm doing (besides losing more weight). I need to lower my A1C, cholesterol & blood pressure (the "trifecta") ...... and it's working, thank goodness :D

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is awesome and inspiring
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Options
    pamital wrote: »
    Thanks. This helps a lot!

I'm always happy to help fellow diabetics. Even if you don't want to run, walk. Work out. Go to the gym and lift weights. Everything helps!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!