Anyone else taken, thinking of taking, or on Phentermine?

Options
13»

Replies

• Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Fit4LifeAR wrote: »
    @kirstinlee My mom took it and had a heart attack at 36, stroke at 46, died at 47. She lost a lot of weight, but definitely not worth the side effects. She probably would have lived longer obese. I have a feeling we will hear about some effects of phentermine in years to come.

Phentermine has been around since the 1950's and the FDA forced the removal of the Phen-Fen combo which was so dangerous, many years ago.

And honestly, if a person is taking Phentermine, they are obese. Years and years of being obese are much more dangerous than a few months on a pill, and are much more likely to be blamed for heart attacks and strokes.

Saying that, Phentermine is great if used correctly, but I would bet that 90% of the people use it in all of the wrong ways. I have had both happen to me. I took it for two months, about three years ago, and lost about 20 pounds. I really made lifestyle changes that I needed and I kept the weight off (and then some) for the next three years.

A few months ago I took another two months of it, after having my daughter, and lost weight. When I stopped, I allowed myself to eat without tracking (over the holidays) and that obviously didn't go well for me. I gained back the weight I lost.

My point is, it is useful if you use the pill correctly, but that means using it very short term, and learning from it so you dont go back to old habits after you stop.

You are incorrect with this statement " if a person is taking phentermine then they are obese " that is not always true.
    Here's why - these fly by night weight loss clinics have no problem often prescribing it to people with only 30lbs to lose. These types of clinics are out to make money. They don't care that the person shouldn't qualify for medicine ,they just want to get paid. These are the same places who give out the " megaburn" shots and all other weight loss derp. They could care less that they could be hurting people.
    Unfortunately these clinics ran by subpar doctors are popping up everywhere.

You are correct on that, and perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully. Excellent point though.

I should have said that if the person was obese, that was more likely to have caused health issues.
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My doctor gave me several years to try to lose weight on my own. And after 3 years of losing 15 - 20 pounds and then gaining it right back on, checking my thyroid and other possible medical conditions, we discussed the diet pill option. I'd said for years and years that it had to be possible for me to lose weight naturally. I started my MFP account back in 2012, even, and wasn't able to keep to it off. I'd gotten to the point where I figured it just wasn't going to happen. I was going to be 250 pounds for the rest of my life. I'd accepted it. My cholesterol was in the acceptable range, my blood sugar was great, my blood pressure was fine, and my triglycerides were being managed just fine with fish oil pills. The stuff that I figured would be problems for me, problems that run in my family and are worsened by weight problems, all seemed like they were under control.

But then my doctor brought up the idea of a prescription to help me try to lose weight. And I said that I wasn't sure, because I hadn't really researched it and I tend to do a lot of research before I start something new.

"Do you think it'll really help?" I remember asking her. And she looked at me very sincerely and said, "Yes. I think it will."

And I thought about the possibility that I might NOT have to spend my whole life hating my wardrobe and shopping and all the other things that I wish were different because of my weight. And I decided I would take the chance and try it with the prescription this time.

Now, I am absolutely TERRIFIED that I'll gain the weight back again. I'm tired of losing and gaining and losing and gaining. I've watched my mom deal with it since I was very young. I've dealt with it myself for my whole life. I have never, ever in my whole life felt like I was the weight I'm supposed to be at. And right now I've got the tiny little glimmer of HOPE that I might actually get SKINNY and FIT and I'm so afraid of losing it again.

Phentermine has given that to me. And I'm clinging to the belief that by logging my food and researching actual nutrition, looking for recipes that are healthy and filling, finding exercise that excites me, that I enjoy doing, and that challenges me, that finding subtle (and not so subtle) ways to get my husband to accept these changes and join me in some of them, that maybe, just MAYBE I'll be able to actually DO IT THIS TIME.

I'm pretty sure that if my doctor hadn't brought it up, I wouldn't be on this website, I wouldn't be working on saving money for a fitbit, wouldn't be getting up in the morning to exercise, I wouldn't be researching how many different types of vegetables I should be eating every week. I'd probably be thinking about whether or not I should make myself another skirt for work, since I can't find clothes that I like and that fit in the stores anymore, and chowing down on cookies.

This was the kick that I needed, and I'm going to work my *kitten* off to try to make it keep going once I'm off the prescription.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I took it for 3 months 2 1/2 years ago. I lost 50 pounds on it, relearned his to eat and began to excercise. I went on to lose another 130 pounds and have been maintaining at 145 for about 6 months now
  • KyleneSusan
    Options
    I took it for 3 months 2 1/2 years ago. I lost 50 pounds on it, relearned his to eat and began to excercise. I went on to lose another 130 pounds and have been maintaining at 145 for about 6 months now

@aprilflower18232 I want to be just like you when I grow up! :heart:
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Please don't!!! I took it for 2 months a couple years ago and now I have a heart condition because of it. I was diagnosed with Long QT. Long QT means that my heart rhythm is not normal and my heart could stop at any moment. I have to keep a defibrillator in my house and I had to have surgery to place a heart monitor device in my chest. This condition can be genetic, due to electrolyte imbalance, or come from medication. My genes were tested, I didn't have an electrolyte problem, and the only medication that I even took was Phentermine....Now, my heart has to be monitored for the next 3 years with monthly visits to the cardiologist..

Yes, they worked but of course I gained all of that weight PLUS a heart implant. Please don't do it, I was also that person who knew the side effects, but in my desperation for weight loss I thought it would NEVER happen to me.

• Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If so, Why or why not have you tried it yet? What has your personal experience been like on it? Side effects? Results, Pros and cons? Any thoughts would be very helpful, as I'm starting it tomorrow morning. Thank you!

I took it for a while and felt weird while on it. Felt like I could have climbed the walls at my office, and then by 3pm I was starving and could have eaten anything. I cut it back to a 1/2 pill and still felt jittery. I didn't like the way it made me feel.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    If so, Why or why not have you tried it yet? What has your personal experience been like on it? Side effects? Results, Pros and cons? Any thoughts would be very helpful, as I'm starting it tomorrow morning. Thank you!

Hey Heather

I am taking phentermine. I've been on it for a month now. Deciding to take Phentermine was a last resort and tough decision to make for me. Sorry this is long too.

Just alil of my background, I too was severely overweight and some charts would even put me in the obese categories. I began this journey at the beginning of 2014 weighing at 254 which is what I had been my heaviest. I had just separated and filed for divorce. But I felt like my life was out of control on the inside. I am an emotional eater like many of us are. I reach for something that tastes good and makes me feel better. I didn't want to do that this time. So I bought two work out DVDS and started working out in front of the tv and the cat. Lol :) i changed my eating habits I cut out fast fried food for about 3 months. I treat them as rewards. Weight starting coming off. I hit several plateus along the way but still kept at it. My mom is with weight watchers so she gave me some tips on eating better such as 6 small meals a day eating different snacks like more yogurt and string cheese. I lost weight that year but I wasn't at goal in clothes. See one thing I made a promise to myself was not to become obsessed about a number i.e. 155lbs no matter what or who said you have to be this weight for your height. I went by how I felt in clothes and how I felt on the inside about myself. Well 2015 came and I wasn't a size 10 just yet. I was teetering bt a 12-14. So I joined the gym changed my cardio duration and frequency of work outs and started lifting weights. More inches than numbers came off. I was okay with that. In the summer I got to be a size 10-12. I teetered on this for a few months and maintained the last 6 months at a 12 because I had alot going on and I stopped working out. However I still continued to be mindful of what I ate.

Now 2016 is here and I am committed to losing this last bit. I have returned to the gym and consulted w my doctor about phentermine. Before she even allowed me to have it we drew my blood to check my thyroid to rule out any issues w that. She also did an EKG as well. She gives me a 14 day Rx at a time and must come in every 2 weeks to be weighed and monitored. So far I've lost 12 lbs some of that is water weight. But this medication has helped curbed my appetite and address most of all my cravings. I discovered that even though I wasn't hungry I would still need to eat because I would get nauseated bc of too much stomach acid and not enough nutrition. So I started taking a box of quick oatmeal to work and protein meal bars and fruit. I do get the dry mouth I like water so I drink more of it. Constipation--Metamucil takes care of that lol...and for sleep I've been on something for that for a while bc of irregular sleep cycle my doctor upped my dose. So far all is working in my favor.

I don't believe the use of this medication should be a quick fix to anything. I believe certain things need to be put in place and you should be monitored by your doctor if taking this medication. Learning portion control and incorporating some form of exercise important and key to weight loss in my opinion. However I struggled to get this last bit of weight off so I made the decision to use this medication to help me for the short term. In addition I am also using this app the help log everything I consume and that way I feel good about myself as well. Everyone has different methods and different opinions about weight loss and goals and the use if meds. Hard work and dedication are definitely an absolute. But if you've tried everything short of surgery then I believe the use of medication is acceptable as long as you are being monitored by your doctor. I hope this was helpful in some way to you. Add me if you would like. Good luck in your goals.

Now this baffles me. You lost a heap of weight all on your own by making lifestyle changes and smart food choices. You have a little left to go and now you go on this drug? And to cap it all you are having to increase non-essential medications that are potentially addictive (sleeping tablets) in order to counteract the side effects of a drug you have proven to yourself not to be necessary? Aside from anything else I don't understand how a doctor can agree to this course of action. As someone with chronic sleep and insomnia problems the last thing I want is to take a stimulant which increases my need for hardcore sleep medications!

I understand this is a common prescription in the US, I know of no-one in the UK who has been on it and maybe that's where my mind block comes from but I just don't get it. Almost everyone I have seen respond with a positive anecdote hasn't had long term success using phentermine because it's masking real issues. I see very very few people who actually use it for a few weeks and continue with their success off it. And for that reason I will never say it's a good idea.

To answer you and not trying to sound rude so I apologize if I do, to begin with you haven't lived in my life or lived in my body. I am having trouble w the cravings and am an emotional eater. I cant lose this last bit of weight. I have tried. Being not a candidate for weightloss surgery as it is only alil bit. This is the method i have chosen. Having this suppressant help curbs my appetite I eat less and my stomach is getting smaller. I track what I eat using MFP and am on reduced calories. It helps keep me accountable. When someone tells me I can't have something I'll want it more especially when I comes to food. I won't be controlled nor will anyone tell me what I can't and can have. Taking phentermine was a personal choice and one I didn't make lightly. I am aware of the side effects hence the lengthy conversation w my doctor and blood work and EKG and this is for a short term. To each his or her own on their stance about medication. This is what works for me.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me.
    4. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful premenstrually.

For emotional eating:

1. Yoga helps me: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
    2. Ramping up activity level in general does something positive as well

I took phentermine (and fenfluramine), didn't learn anything, gained back the weight, and now worry about having damaged my heart.
  • Kurriana
    Kurriana Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ive taken it and in 3 months it helped me lose 15 lbs, however after 3 months, it stopped curbing my appitite and it was a lot harder to manage food intake. But this is where i plataued.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Hey Heather

I am taking phentermine. I've been on it for a month now. Deciding to take Phentermine was a last resort and tough decision to make for me. Sorry this is long too.

Just alil of my background, I too was severely overweight and some charts would even put me in the obese categories. I began this journey at the beginning of 2014 weighing at 254 which is what I had been my heaviest. I had just separated and filed for divorce. But I felt like my life was out of control on the inside. I am an emotional eater like many of us are. I reach for something that tastes good and makes me feel better. I didn't want to do that this time. So I bought two work out DVDS and started working out in front of the tv and the cat. Lol :) i changed my eating habits I cut out fast fried food for about 3 months. I treat them as rewards. Weight starting coming off. I hit several plateus along the way but still kept at it. My mom is with weight watchers so she gave me some tips on eating better such as 6 small meals a day eating different snacks like more yogurt and string cheese. I lost weight that year but I wasn't at goal in clothes. See one thing I made a promise to myself was not to become obsessed about a number i.e. 155lbs no matter what or who said you have to be this weight for your height. I went by how I felt in clothes and how I felt on the inside about myself. Well 2015 came and I wasn't a size 10 just yet. I was teetering bt a 12-14. So I joined the gym changed my cardio duration and frequency of work outs and started lifting weights. More inches than numbers came off. I was okay with that. In the summer I got to be a size 10-12. I teetered on this for a few months and maintained the last 6 months at a 12 because I had alot going on and I stopped working out. However I still continued to be mindful of what I ate.

Now 2016 is here and I am committed to losing this last bit. I have returned to the gym and consulted w my doctor about phentermine. Before she even allowed me to have it we drew my blood to check my thyroid to rule out any issues w that. She also did an EKG as well. She gives me a 14 day Rx at a time and must come in every 2 weeks to be weighed and monitored. So far I've lost 12 lbs some of that is water weight. But this medication has helped curbed my appetite and address most of all my cravings. I discovered that even though I wasn't hungry I would still need to eat because I would get nauseated bc of too much stomach acid and not enough nutrition. So I started taking a box of quick oatmeal to work and protein meal bars and fruit. I do get the dry mouth I like water so I drink more of it. Constipation--Metamucil takes care of that lol...and for sleep I've been on something for that for a while bc of irregular sleep cycle my doctor upped my dose. So far all is working in my favor.

I don't believe the use of this medication should be a quick fix to anything. I believe certain things need to be put in place and you should be monitored by your doctor if taking this medication. Learning portion control and incorporating some form of exercise important and key to weight loss in my opinion. However I struggled to get this last bit of weight off so I made the decision to use this medication to help me for the short term. In addition I am also using this app the help log everything I consume and that way I feel good about myself as well. Everyone has different methods and different opinions about weight loss and goals and the use if meds. Hard work and dedication are definitely an absolute. But if you've tried everything short of surgery then I believe the use of medication is acceptable as long as you are being monitored by your doctor. I hope this was helpful in some way to you. Add me if you would like. Good luck in your goals.

Now this baffles me. You lost a heap of weight all on your own by making lifestyle changes and smart food choices. You have a little left to go and now you go on this drug? And to cap it all you are having to increase non-essential medications that are potentially addictive (sleeping tablets) in order to counteract the side effects of a drug you have proven to yourself not to be necessary? Aside from anything else I don't understand how a doctor can agree to this course of action. As someone with chronic sleep and insomnia problems the last thing I want is to take a stimulant which increases my need for hardcore sleep medications!

I understand this is a common prescription in the US, I know of no-one in the UK who has been on it and maybe that's where my mind block comes from but I just don't get it. Almost everyone I have seen respond with a positive anecdote hasn't had long term success using phentermine because it's masking real issues. I see very very few people who actually use it for a few weeks and continue with their success off it. And for that reason I will never say it's a good idea.

To answer you and not trying to sound rude so I apologize if I do, to begin with you haven't lived in my life or lived in my body. I am having trouble w the cravings and am an emotional eater. I cant lose this last bit of weight. I have tried. Being not a candidate for weightloss surgery as it is only alil bit. This is the method i have chosen. Having this suppressant help curbs my appetite I eat less and my stomach is getting smaller. I track what I eat using MFP and am on reduced calories. It helps keep me accountable. When someone tells me I can't have something I'll want it more especially when I comes to food. I won't be controlled nor will anyone tell me what I can't and can have. Taking phentermine was a personal choice and one I didn't make lightly. I am aware of the side effects hence the lengthy conversation w my doctor and blood work and EKG and this is for a short term. To each his or her own on their stance about medication. This is what works for me.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me.
    4. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful premenstrually.

For emotional eating:

1. Yoga helps me: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
    2. Ramping up activity level in general does something positive as well

I took phentermine (and fenfluramine), didn't learn anything, gained back the weight, and now worry about having damaged my heart.

Thank you for the suggestions. They are much appreciated. As far as my health goes i had the fast heart rate for 2 days. As I stated in my post I had lengthy conversations w my doctor and had blood work and tests run before she even would consider this. My doctor and i diacussed that the use of phentermine is for a short period of time only and i am monitored by her every two weeks and I use MFP to track my caloric deficit and exercise regime . I do work out more regularly than I anticipated. Instead 2-3x a week it's more like 4-5x a week. Once my schedule clears up I plan on yoga. I have taken it before. It's great. I am even considering going to OA anonymous. But I do thank you again for the suggestions. :)
  • Asianbutterflies
    Options
    My doctor gave me several years to try to lose weight on my own. And after 3 years of losing 15 - 20 pounds and then gaining it right back on, checking my thyroid and other possible medical conditions, we discussed the diet pill option. I'd said for years and years that it had to be possible for me to lose weight naturally. I started my MFP account back in 2012, even, and wasn't able to keep to it off. I'd gotten to the point where I figured it just wasn't going to happen. I was going to be 250 pounds for the rest of my life. I'd accepted it. My cholesterol was in the acceptable range, my blood sugar was great, my blood pressure was fine, and my triglycerides were being managed just fine with fish oil pills. The stuff that I figured would be problems for me, problems that run in my family and are worsened by weight problems, all seemed like they were under control.

But then my doctor brought up the idea of a prescription to help me try to lose weight. And I said that I wasn't sure, because I hadn't really researched it and I tend to do a lot of research before I start something new.

"Do you think it'll really help?" I remember asking her. And she looked at me very sincerely and said, "Yes. I think it will."

And I thought about the possibility that I might NOT have to spend my whole life hating my wardrobe and shopping and all the other things that I wish were different because of my weight. And I decided I would take the chance and try it with the prescription this time.

Now, I am absolutely TERRIFIED that I'll gain the weight back again. I'm tired of losing and gaining and losing and gaining. I've watched my mom deal with it since I was very young. I've dealt with it myself for my whole life. I have never, ever in my whole life felt like I was the weight I'm supposed to be at. And right now I've got the tiny little glimmer of HOPE that I might actually get SKINNY and FIT and I'm so afraid of losing it again.

Phentermine has given that to me. And I'm clinging to the belief that by logging my food and researching actual nutrition, looking for recipes that are healthy and filling, finding exercise that excites me, that I enjoy doing, and that challenges me, that finding subtle (and not so subtle) ways to get my husband to accept these changes and join me in some of them, that maybe, just MAYBE I'll be able to actually DO IT THIS TIME.

I'm pretty sure that if my doctor hadn't brought it up, I wouldn't be on this website, I wouldn't be working on saving money for a fitbit, wouldn't be getting up in the morning to exercise, I wouldn't be researching how many different types of vegetables I should be eating every week. I'd probably be thinking about whether or not I should make myself another skirt for work, since I can't find clothes that I like and that fit in the stores anymore, and chowing down on cookies.

This was the kick that I needed, and I'm going to work my *kitten* off to try to make it keep going once I'm off the prescription.

I can absolutely relate to you. I understand the negativity surrounding the use of diet pills. But that decision can only be made by that person and their doctor. I think you are making the correct choices while on phentermine such as learning about nutrition portion control and the use of exercise to make weight loss productive and permanent. I have maintenanced for two years now bc of the changes I made but this last bit of weight just won't come off. Again this decision wasn't made in haste and am aware of the effects and eventually it will lose its potency that's why it's short term. So my plan to maximize all the benefits I can. Most importantly my hunger pangs and cravings are under control for the most part. I still have days where I crave that chocolate cake lol but I keep healthy snacks in my office and I feel like my stomach has shrunk some. I am on a reduced caloric intake. So taking the meds helps not think about that bc I'm not craving food or looking junk snacks bc I can eat out of bordem and am an emotional at times but at the same time I am eating healthier snacks and food such as oatmeal mixed nuts more fruit and so much salad I could have my own garden :) I hope this was helpful to you. Add me if you like. Good luck in your goals.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Options

Good for you keep up the good work!
  • heatherhb2016
    heatherhb2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    First, thanks so much to everyone that has responded! I wanted to give y'all a little more info about me, and then an update.

I'm 5'7. I weighed 174 when I decided to go to a weight loss clinic in my area.( For those curious, its only $40 month for 30 37.5 mlg pills, which I was shocked. ) My BMI was 27. So, I'm not obese. I'd like to lose 30 lbs. I'm not only counting on only a magic pill. I've totally changed my eating habits... For the better! I decided to try it because no matter what I've tried , its like I'm stuck at the weight of 175-185 for many years. It was easy to get. And did seem a bit to easy. But, I've done my research, watched/read reviews, taken into account all your comments, etc. And mostly, gone by how my own body feels with this drug. I actually used to skip breakfast and lunch ( and starve) all together and tthen binge at night. Luckily, now I hve started eating 3x daily. A new thing for me. I've lost 7 lbs very fast. Im quite impressed. I understand that this is short-term and I really want to change for the better, be healthier, etc. As far as the side effects, here's my experience after 5 days or so of taking Phentermine...

Thirst!
    Bad taste in mouth
    Slightly more anxious
    Energetic
    Mild dizziness at times
    Mild sleeplessness
    Feel the need to chew gum

Nothing major. No heart racing, etc. However, I'm only taking 1/2 my prescribed dose of 37.5 mlg. Can't really see taking more. Also, I don't think I'll need it more than a month or so at this point.

With all this said, I'm going to continue trying to get healthy, and better myself in general.

Thanks again y'all!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good for you-it seems to be working for you!

Personally, I would never consider taking a drug for something like this -but then again I don't even like to take Advil for DOMS or headaches unless it's really bad. Primarily, I don't feel the risks are worth it even when managed and monitored by a physician. Not worth it to me. It seems like most people fall on one side or the other of this. Either "why not?" or "why in the world?" Personally, I really enjoy the sense of accomplishment that can come from struggling to tap the power within to do difficult things such as quitting smoking, losing weight, body building, and even working through anxiety issues without drugs. I've managed to find self confidence and learned a lot about my body and how it responds to food and exercise in the process and I'm really glad I chose the path I did. I wouldn't criticize anyone for making a different choice but I do have a difficult time relating to it.

• moonnstarstx
    moonnstarstx Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello
    Several years ago my doctor prescribed me Phentermine. While I was on it I did lose weight because I wasn't hungry but after I stopped taking it I quickly gained all the weight I had lost plus much more. While I was on it I did not change the way I ate I just didn't eat as much because I was not as hungry but I believe it gave me that false idea. I wouldn't recommend it but to each their own.
  • KyleneSusan
    Options
    I've just discovered that there's a Phentermine Users group here in MFP. Looks like it's mostly quite these days, but maybe those of use who are taking it can migrate over there and liven things up a little bit -- try to support each other as we're working through the unique problems and challenges that are part of using a prescription to try to lose weight.
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Well.. looking at all this, at least it doesn't have the side effects that Orlistat does!