Snacks out of control

What do you do after you eat your regular day meal and at night all of a sudden you just get that hunger pain they won't go away have any tips drinking water didn't work

Replies

• mamakimkim
    mamakimkim Posts: 20 Member
    I find that 1 cup of soy milk is really satisfying, but I use a very tasty brand--Organic Edensoy Extra Vanilla (fortified). It tastes good (lightly sweet) and is creamy so it's psychologically satisfying but it also has protein so will help you feel satisfied. That's 150 calories.

An alternative would be a mini protein smoothie--like, 1/2 or 3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk (very low calories) blended together with half a scoop of low calorie high protein powder will taste good and tide you over for the same reasons.

Another good option is a spoonful of peanut butter, though, of course that's got more fat so it would depend on how you're doing with your fat that day.

• tburgess242002
    tburgess242002 Posts: 231 Member
    I tried the peanut butter but I think that makes me gain weight
  • Bambalina22
    Bambalina22 Posts: 54 Member
    That's a tough. If you're truly hungry then a 100 cal snack it might take you over but there's nothing worse than trying to sleep when your hungry.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    I found not enough protein for dinner or going bed too late might both contribute to greater hunger pain. At least in my situation, a 3-4 hr time interval between the end of dinner (7:30-8pm) and bedtime (11pm-12am) is enough for food to go pass gastric phase (I usually hear a lot of grinding/ bowel movement but not feeling hungry before falling asleep, unless I stay up beyond 12am). @tburgess242002, could any of these the reason why you feel hungry at night?
  • tburgess242002
    The weird thing is is not every night it's just some Nights when I got to eat everything in the house for the last two hours don't understand
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Have you tried just having something light an hour or two before the onset of night hunger (or bedtime)? There are light string cheese (50kcal per bar with 7g of protein!) that doesn't cost too much for your calorie budget and adds some nutrients! (I tried almond too, but it's too yummy... not good as late night snack :neutral: ).
    Here's another trick I use but not sure if it's good for everyone. The mouthwash (no alcohol) I use has heavier fluoride % and it says 30 min without drink/water or food after using it. I know it doesn't help decreasing hunger pain, but at least it prevents you from reaching out for food (again)...
  • tburgess242002
    Thanks to you oh so much
  • DebBahr
    DebBahr Posts: 110 Member
    Someone else mentioned this but eating high protein foods really fill you up for a long time. My go to high protein foods are unsalted roasted almonds, hummus, and Greek yogurt. I buy Fage nonfat plain Greek yogurt. I eat yogurt and fruit for breakfast almost everyday but I'll also eat it as a treat later in the day when I am hungry. 1/2 cup yogurt, half a banana, and 1 tablespoon peanut butter. If you want to cut the tartness of the Greek yogurt add just a bit (half a teaspoon) of honey or agave. Or if you do artificial sweeteners add a half packet of Splenda. Very filling and you feel like you are having a treat.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    I like to go to bed with a full tummy. So I skip breakfast and save most of my calories for the late afternoon and dinner and after dinner.

I sometimes log everything as breakfast/lunch and dinner; but in reality breakfast is usually around 12pm.
  • tburgess242002
    Thank you both I eat almonds and yogurt a lot but now I can afford the almonds is they cost too much so I still have the yogurt yes it's very feeling and are good for treat all the time 1 to 2 cups a day maybe pending on the day sometime just one cups and I also pretty much skip breakfast either and a very light lunch and then to have more for supper in a little bit later in the night I really don't register anything for breakfast other than the Gatorade a drink that the doctor wants me to drink thank you both so much
  • kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    Bed- I have those days, stomach is grumbling and every thought is about food. Once I have competed my tasks for the day, sometimes it's just easier to go to bed then try to fight it.

If it's just too early to sleep, I read and respond to these posts (popcorn and pop are on my mind).
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    I drink tea, I usually have English breakfast tea with half n half and truvia. It gives me something slow to sip on and the half n half gives it a bit more thickness to it so I feel it is more satisfying.
  • cherrybergher
    cherrybergher Posts: 12 Member
    I cut up a whole cucumber, add a bit of vinegar and pepper and eat. Fills me up and is hardly any calories.
  • tburgess242002
    Thanks everyone
  • lenalovestofish
    lenalovestofish Posts: 80 Member
    I have the same problem :( im a snackaholic .
  • cproc2
    cproc2 Posts: 5 Member
    I tend to have a problem snacking at night too. I am working on not eating at night so much anymore, unless I am truly hungry. If I am hungry I make sure to have just a snack, not a meal. Now that I am logging my food/calories, I find it a bit easier to not overdo it in the snack department.

There is some great advice on this thread. I appreciate it. Reducing the amount I snack around bedtime is one of my goals for 2016.

I have started to have 4-5 small meals/snacks per day and find I am more satisfied versus eating 3 meals. When I eat smaller meals throughout the day I can eat when I notice a dip in my blood sugar, etc., instead of just during "normal" eating times.

I tend to be a night owl, so usually my breakfast is between 12p-3p. Then, I have my other small meals throughout the day and evening.

I deal with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & fibromyalgia, so my sleep isn't always regular, no matter how hard I try to be on a schedule. If anyone has any advice for someone with unpredictable sleep & energy in relation to food/snacking that would be great. I would like to learn more about energy foods. If you know a website or book I should check out just tag me in your post.

LLAP.
    cproc2
  • rshort2008
    rshort2008 Posts: 17 Member
    Clear the house out of things that can tempt you.

Have fruit in. I snack on pre cooked chicken slices or dry cereal.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Thank you both I eat almonds and yogurt a lot but now I can afford the almonds is they cost too much so I still have the yogurt yes it's very feeling and are good for treat all the time 1 to 2 cups a day maybe pending on the day sometime just one cups and I also pretty much skip breakfast either and a very light lunch and then to have more for supper in a little bit later in the night I really don't register anything for breakfast other than the Gatorade a drink that the doctor wants me to drink thank you both so much

Hi, how many calories per day are you eating? If it's too low, add some more and try to plan a snack or two in advance, knowing that you'll likely want something later in the evening