Question for ladies that use an hormonal birth control

Options
yanicka
yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
This is my second month of using the nuvaRing and It makes me feel really emotional. I hated the pill because it made me agressive when I tried it 15 years ago. I really hate feeling like that, I am such an happy person usually!!! Does it ever go away?

Replies

• las5184
    las5184 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used the Nuva Ring and loved it! Its the only birth control from which I didn't gain weight. I would say after a few months the emotions should calm down but any type of hormonal birth control will affect your emotions.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    They've found that continuous hormones, such as the patch (which ended up being a disaster) and the ring are too much for most women to handle. When I was on the ring I was emotional, easily agitated, and I felt awful. Not to mention, who's to say it's safe to keep a hormonal ring inside of you for that long? It's too new. I would recommend the old tried and true, birth control pill. For me, Seasonique (the pill where you get your period every 3 months) helped keep my emotions and even my breakouts in check. I hope this helps :-)
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    The nuvaring and patch have the same hormones. I had to go on the mini-pill (progesterone only) and it helped a lot! :smile: The combo pill made me really crazy and anxious.

The hormones in the ring, pills and patch deplete B vitamins which greatly help with mood. A vitamin B supplement will help.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I would say that if it has been 15 years since you have tried the pill to talk to your doctor and try to find one that works for you. There are quite a few options out there...surely one can work for you without making you feel like a crazy person! lol!
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I hated the Nuva Ring.
    I don't think I had emotional problems but it gave me cramps and made me sick... Awful!

I'm senstive to medications but my doc put me on a low dose/hormone birth controll pill and haven't had one issue with it.
    Lutera is what it's called. :)
  • Crystaljk78
    Crystaljk78 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Ortho-Cyclen. I love it - I haven't gained weight, my skin is great and best of all (for me anyway) it's made my periods so precise that I know down to the hour, when I'm going to get it. Good luck to you!
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a birth control with no side effects, go with a IUD the cooper one, not the myrena since it has hormones in it
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've been on Nuva-ring for 6 months now--after spending the last 12 years without any birthcontrol or hormones not produced by my own body. In November I was diagnosed with PCOS and had to have some additional hormones. I like the Nuva-ring just for the shear convenience of it. I only find that I'm overly emotional but about every 21 days (just before I start my cycle). I can become very weepy at the drop of a hat and am easily aggitated. But that only lasts for a day or two.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Ortho-Cyclen. I love it - I haven't gained weight, my skin is great and best of all (for me anyway) it's made my periods so precise that I know down to the hour, when I'm going to get it. Good luck to you!

This has been my experience, as well. I was very concerned when starting the pill again about two or three years ago (the last thing I needed was something to help me put weight on), but Ortho-Cyclen has been like a dream for me.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Seasonique! Four periods a year and no side affects!
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Seasonique! Four periods a year and no side affects!

I'm ALL about the Seasonique! My mood is more stable, my period is shorter, no acne, no weight gain. Love this pill!!