Rib fractures/weightloss road block

Options
Slight mishap to my weight loss regimen. I broke three ribs the other night, so there goes my running for awhile. When does it get easier to bend and twist? I realize it can be 6-8 weeks for healing. Anyone have any suggestions to keep the weight loss going? Thanks!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you lose weight in the kitchen.

eat at a deficit.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Extra calories needed to help broken bones:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/230673-how-to-heal-a-fractured-bone/
    For example, an injured, bedridden patient may need three times more calories than he normal does while mending a fractured bone
    Top Foods to Heal Broken Bones. High calcium foods – The major mineral in bones is calcium, so try to include foods high in this important mineral such as sea vegetables, green leafy vegetables, salmon, sardines with bones, and unsweetened cultured dairy like yogurt, kefir
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I wish you a speedy recovery.
    This is going to test your endurance because any core movement will cause excruciating pain.
    All I can tell you is: This too shall pass.
    Focus on getting better.
    Eat at a maintenance level. You can not exercise at all.
    Good luck
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I broke a rib over the summer and was able to keep running. I was unable to do yoga, weight life, and do pole for about 6 weeks. Is it confirmed broken by X-ray? Regardless unless it's unstable they will only treat pain. But the doctor I saw said running was fine as long as it didn't hurt extraordinarily (obviously every time you breathe it hurts but there's a different kind of sharp hurt when you're pushing your limits). If you can't handle running, you should be able to at minimum walk. Obviously check with your doctor but that's what mine told me.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options
    The challenge I have always faced when injured is not the lack of activity. Yes, that goes way down. No, the challenge is that I would overeat. If you modify your activity level to sedentary and perhaps reduce your goal to 1 pound a week, then stick to your calorie goal you will lose weight. The challenge with the pain is to do this.
  • licb5167
    licb5167 Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Slight mishap to my weight loss regimen. I broke three ribs the other night, so there goes my running for awhile. When does it get easier to bend and twist? I realize it can be 6-8 weeks for healing. Anyone have any suggestions to keep the weight loss going? Thanks!

I broke 5 ribs & fractured my collar bone on 4/28 of last year. It took a little over 3 months before I got the go ahead to exercise, vacuum, do mopping & such. I could barely move much less run, walking consisted of getting out of bed or off the chair to go to the bathroom & back. Everyone is different & it also depends on how much damage you did to your body & how old you are. As my dr. said, it's going to take a while for me to heal & be able to do what I'm use to doing. The older we get, the longer it takes to heal. 2015 wasn't a good year for me at all, health wise.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Over the past few years I've had a couple setbacks where core exercise had to stop. The first was a cracked rib (my sympathies). The second was surgery. Mark the days on the calendar when you can start again.

Have you ever seen the squiggly line, "what success really looks like"? This is where you learn the mental toughness to start again.