Replace Carbs with Proteins

Options
Hi :)

Preparing to compete in figure competition in May and struggling with Nutrition. Consistently over on my carbs which I'm getting mainly from eating a lot of fruit and not getting enough protein. Any suggestions on high protein/low carb foods apart from meat/eggs that I can replace the fruit with?

Thanks

Donna

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, protein powder, Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, cheese, I am the crazy who likes sardines and smoked oysters so I eat those on the side of my lunch some days because they are so easy to pack. Pb2 is kinda awesome as well, but I do love meat, I always have some great roasted leftover meat source in my fridge to munch.

Good luck with the figure prep!! Not my style but I love hearing about it!
  • asimms221
    asimms221 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Second greek yogurt and cottage cheese, protein shakes just leave out the carbs.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Whey protein and cottage cheese, not together. I am working on getting 129 grams of protein a day.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Whey Isolate protein. Keep carbs in the 72-80/day range.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love sashimi. Cheese sticks and cottage cheese are good snacky choices too. Change up your meats/eggs with chicken/tuna salad and deviled eggs...all kinds of flavors you can experiment with there
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Often when people lower carbs they replace it with fat. Have you considered adding fats? Cheese, nuts, avocado, fat bombs, etc?
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, beans, lentils, vegetarian sausage patties (morningstar makes great ones). If you do a search for "vegan protein" I bet a lot of threads with non meat/egg suggestions would come up.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Often when people lower carbs they replace it with fat. Have you considered adding fats? Cheese, nuts, avocado, fat bombs, etc?

Tell me, why do you suggest her increase her fat when she specifically says she's not getting in enough protein?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Tell me, why do you suggest him increase his fat when he specifically says he's not getting in enough protein?

Because to keto dieters, "more fat" is the answer to every question.

I've never heard of gorging on fat as a pre-contest prep strategy for figure competitors.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    A Unique Combination Of Science And Experience Based Pre-Contest Advice

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Tell me, why do you suggest her increase her fat when she specifically says she's not getting in enough protein?

Most fats come with protein, I thought it could work. Fat doesn't make you fat so unless one way over eats the fat. Plus excessive protein will often be turned to glucose, not helpful when lowering carbs and hoping to lose water weight through lowered carbs.

I think most people do get enough protein. A light female probably doesn't need more that 80g of protein, although I am sure that varies and may be a bit higher for a heavy lifter.
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Tell me, why do you suggest him increase his fat when he specifically says he's not getting in enough protein?

I've never heard of gorging on fat as a pre-contest prep strategy for figure competitors.

Gorging? LOL uh-huh. :D
  • dmeikking
    dmeikking Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - great feedback - I was afraid of cheese, dairy products due to fat content as I'm doing just fine on my fat intake and having my greek yogurt. Never thought of sardines/oysters but actually like those.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options

"gorging" isn't really what it is, but as you cut your calories down to the bone, it is important to still get enough fat, so as a consequence, fats grow into a larger % of your macros
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Most fats come with protein, I thought it could work. Fat doesn't make you fat so unless one way over eats the fat. Plus excessive protein will often be turned to glucose, not helpful when lowering carbs and hoping to lose water weight through lowered carbs.

I think most people do get enough protein. A light female probably doesn't need more that 80g of protein, although I am sure that varies and may be a bit higher for a heavy lifter.

Gorging? LOL uh-huh. :D
    Most people do not get enough protein. Trying to get 80 grams can be challenging on a calorie restricted diet.