Stiff Neck and Lifting

Options
Right after my failed attempt at back squatting 160 lb, I got a stiff neck and very sore shoulders. Has anyone else experienced something like this and do you have any advice? I use a cushion on the bar to attempt to help but it obviously didn't.

Replies

• CommanderRogers
    CommanderRogers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try a front bar squat. Rest the bar across the upper chest. It helps prevent that forward front bending of the neck. Keeps everything in a straight line.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    you were probably really straining your neck without realising it. I would get a lot of tingles all the way down my arms when lifting (anything - any exercise) because I was trying so hard to go hard that I was tensing my neck and traps when doing all exercises. Now I always loosen my neck before I start things and make a mental note to NOT tighten the neck/traps. I hardly tingle now.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've only failed on a squat once and it didn't hurt or cause any problems. You just literally let the bar tap down onto the safeties. Did you fail because your form was off? That could be why you're feeling hurt.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I suspect your spine is not in a neutral position. You may be looking up and straining your neck. Have you video'd your lifts for form check? It can be very helpful.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    phtgrapher wrote: »
    Try a front bar squat. Rest the bar across the upper chest. It helps prevent that forward front bending of the neck. Keeps everything in a straight line.

For a front squat the bar should be across the anterior delts and against the neck, not the upper chest.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the bar pad is making the bar artificially big and is pressing forward on your neck maybe? Just use the plain bar, no one uses a pad anyway. See if that helps.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think I actually realized what I'm doing wrong. I ALWAYS look up when I squat. I don't know why but I've always done it. I'm assuming this is what is causing the neck pain. Tomorrow morning I will try just looking straight ahead.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    And I do think the pad might be contributing, like &DopeItUp mentioned. The bar should rest on your traps. The pad could be pressing on your neck. Is there a reason for the pad? I don't use for squats, just for glute bridges and hip thrusters so the bar doesn't hurt my hipbones.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    And your pain sounds a lot like what happens to me when I push vertebrae out of alignment. I have congenital issue with my neck and injuries from work and whiplash. Chiropractor help me immensely. But it could be nerve or muscle issue. If your neck or arms feel tingly or numb call a chiro.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I've read looking forward is okay as long as you are in the "head back" position. In other words, you are sticking your neck outward and up. This is the more neutral position I was talking about. I find it easier.
    http://getthisstrength.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Low-Bar-Squats-looking-up-vs-lookding-down.jpg
  • CristalSCarter
    CristalSCarter Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Recently started squatting without a squat machine and using actual weights, my left neck/shoulder feels tight as if i might've strained it a bit. I think it's due to poor form since I'm still learning because I wasn't lifting that heavy. I guess even failed attempts have a proper form lol
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Right after my failed attempt at back squatting 160 lb, I got a stiff neck and very sore shoulders. Has anyone else experienced something like this and do you have any advice? I use a cushion on the bar to attempt to help but it obviously didn't.

I can relate. Even when my form is perfect, and I squat without a fail can cause stiff neck, soreness here and there. I actually prefer using a leg press machine for that reason if I am using a gym, but I do the squats at home in my basement gym as I don't have a leg press machine at home.

If you can afford the luxury of a good massage once every two weeks or at least once a month - I highly recommend it if you are lifting weights. At the very least, foam roll and stretch several times a week to work out the hot spots.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are you doing high bar or low? I find low bar much more comfortable (other than wrists)
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Try to keep your neck relaxed and neutral.

You're probably looking up and keeping it tight.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I'm doing low bar squats.

I found myself looking up out of habit this morning but I quickly corrected that and looked forward. I'm watching a couple videos on form to make sure I am able to nail the form properly.

Thanks again for everyone's help :) Happy lifting!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I don't barbell squat, but I'm the queen of neck pain. Try activating your deep neck flexors by tucking your chin some (like making a double chin but more subtle) when doing strenuous moves.

That's unless it's contraindicated in squatting for some reason, but I can't think of any myself. Corrections to that are welcomed, of course.