Kayla Itsines BBG feedback and just general advice needed :)

Options
Hi amazing people :)

I am interested in doing the Kayla Itsines BBG program but am after 'true' reviews from anyone on here who has done/is doing - googling usually gives blog reviews which a lot of the time I don't trust too much.

I'm 163cm and 67.5kg / 148lb with a goal to get back down to 55kg / 121 pound. Have a lot of weight around my stomach area which I'm very keen to get rid of ASAP (can't wear anything fitting in fear of being asked 'how far along' I am :neutral:). Have been on MFP for a while at 1400 calories but as soon as I hit the weekend I cave completely and eat bad and eat back all if not more of my calories I worked off and saved during the week :(

I go exercise regularly usually a 4-6km walk or group fitness class 2-4 times a week however its the food that's really been hard for me which is why I think definitely a meal plan will help me plan ahead, also I'm not great at all in the kitchen and not creative so being told exactly what to cook and how much is a lot better for me.

Have also given up smoking after 11 years - over 2 weeks now. Biggest obstacle I am finding is I am struggling with cravings, not so much for smoking (I have an e-cigaretted with nicotine liquid) but for food - trying to fill that 'satisfaction' hole that I used to get from smoking and naughty foods!

Anyone who has done this program and can give realistic feedback would be great! Or just general feedback at all from anyone who has struggled with filling the 'satisfaction hole' (as I like to call it).

Thanks in advance everyone!

Replies

• sineadc94
    sineadc94 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The workouts are really good like they kick your *kitten* in a short space of time and it's an easy enough plan to follow. I'm just on week two after restarting and have pretty sore legs right now. Last year I got up to week 5 and was really fit. Starting off on the pre training this time though which are still hard but eases you in more.
    If you want a full meal plan that's not really in the guides like she gives one for one week but it's more a nutrition guide than anything and kinda restrictive. Better off just reading the forums here which have lots of great info!
  • Kfrase83
    Kfrase83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have done Kayla's workouts and did really well - the combo of the workouts plus MFP helped me lose 26 pounds! That took about a year, and I started off with 1,200 calories/day. I followed the workout plan and walked on the off days, and I definitely gave myself some breaks on the off days, too. I didn't use the meal plan at all. Honestly, just committing to the workouts and following the schedule, you will get to where you want to be.
  • lilmissdreday
    lilmissdreday Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Kfrase83 wrote: »
    I have done Kayla's workouts and did really well - the combo of the workouts plus MFP helped me lose 26 pounds! That took about a year, and I started off with 1,200 calories/day. I followed the workout plan and walked on the off days, and I definitely gave myself some breaks on the off days, too. I didn't use the meal plan at all. Honestly, just committing to the workouts and following the schedule, you will get to where you want to be.

Great thanks! And yea I gym 3 times a week so maybe can use gym + the home workouts too
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It is simply a HIIT routine mixed with some low intensity cardio activity.

I don't see any problem with it, but i would suggest you track your calories via MFP and ignore her nutritional advice.

Also, I highly suggest you google it and download it for free. It's too expensive for an electronic "book".
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    It is simply a HIIT routine mixed with some low intensity cardio activity.

I don't see any problem with it, but i would suggest you track your calories via MFP and ignore her nutritional advice.

Also, I highly suggest you google it and download it for free. It's too expensive for an electronic "book".

ALL.OF.THIS.RIGHT.HERE!!!!
  • irisann801
    irisann801 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, All!

I'm on week 1--still! I want to be able to do it all the way through before moving on. Is this your approach, too?

Also, I noticed that week 2 (and probably others) use equipment that I don't have. I do this at the gym so I have weights and a taller bench, but the low bench and jumprope are things I'm not sure my gym has. Do you guys use the equipment exactly as prescribed?
  • mghuss
    mghuss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've done all my workouts at home- for the low bench/step I made one from some large books that I wrapped up in plastic and taped... And I bought a jump rope for $7 at TJ Maxx!
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    What exactly is BBG? I keep seeing it, and am wondering if it is free hahaha.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have BBGs #1 and #2. I make modifications if I don't have the equipment that's needed or if certain moves don't feel good. I use a chair in place of a bench if I am doing the workout at home versus the gym, and I dumbbells in place of a medicine ball etc. I don't follow her nutritional advice (I see a sports dietician for that) and I do my own cardio workouts and I go to yoga a few times a week so I forego her stretching sessions. The best par about the workout is the rigor around weekly workouts. You know you are doing 3 workouts per week that will get your heart rate up, and focus on your abs, legs and arms, and the workouts get more difficult as you get better. The workouts are similar to a boot camp style workout with lots of plyometrics (which I have always been a fan of).
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    What exactly is BBG? I keep seeing it, and am wondering if it is free hahaha.

BBG stands for bikini body guide. A personal trainer from Australia put together a program that involves 3 low intensity cardio sessions per week, 3 circuit training sessions and 1 stretching session. Her ebooks cost around 70 bucks or so (I can't remember exactly) but because they are PDF's, once one person buys them they can share them with others (which is how it can be 'free'). Kayla has gotten wise to this so she has created an app and is not releasing #3 via ebook (you have to buy the app which is around $20 per month)