Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

To Lift or Not To Lift?

2»

Replies

• rosema1268
    rosema1268 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2016
    Lifting is my favorite right now I'll take it any day over cardio.. Superset, or not love it.. I love danc e type cardio too but the rest boring. I do it for transforming my body, fat loss, muscle gains as you get older you lose muscle trying to stay young and fit
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Weight loss makes you look good in clothes. Weight lifting makes you look good without them!
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    I love lifting for the complete buzz I get from it. The way I can push myself and set challenges and meet them. I love the strength I get from lifting, knowing what I've done to get here, and knowing this is just the beginning.
    Even when I have a crap day in the weight room I know I've achieved more than what I could do even 6 weeks ago.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    I love lifting for the complete buzz I get from it. The way I can push myself and set challenges and meet them. I love the strength I get from lifting, knowing what I've done to get here, and knowing this is just the beginning.
    Even when I have a crap day in the weight room I know I've achieved more than what I could do even 6 weeks ago.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Lift if you want to and it gets you towards your goals. Don't if you don't and it doesn't.

Simple.

Strength IS important in a well balanced approach towards general health and fitness, but that doesn't necessarily have to be gained using a barbell. Those of us who are into the iron game and are obsessed with it would do well to reflect that a well put together general calisthenics program would be sufficient to help 90% of the population stay healthy and happy.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,190 Member
    Loving this thread! At 52, I have friends that say I am crazy for lifting. I love my weights days!!!
    Thanks all for posting!
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    edited January 2016
    To lift!
    I lift because I love seeing how much stronger I get, and because if I don't lift I have the upper body strength of a 5 year old.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I lift, because I can't comprehend any goal (including just living life to the fullest) where being stronger wouldn't help.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    @arditarose Body and Soul. YES!

And here's to pouring milk from a carton and opening my own doors to the gym at 99!
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    HOW do you lift properly? I'm confused and keep trying to learn..
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    ydyms wrote: »
    HOW do you lift properly? I'm confused and keep trying to learn..

Practice, practice, practice.

I learned a lot from the forums and YouTube. You can try googling a particular exercise "how to" as well. I suggest downloading the StrongLifts 5x5 app. This app can help you develop in the five main compound lifts--Squat, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Row and Deadlift. If the Olympic bar is too heavy, you can begin with dumb bells. <--Form first.

I also bought these books--> Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves.

You can film yourself and post your video on the forum for a critique or hire a personal trainer to help get you in sync.

There are lots of cues that you can learn to help your lift like "push through the heels" and "squeeze the glutes".
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Lift if you want to and it gets you towards your goals. Don't if you don't and it doesn't.

Simple.

Strength IS important in a well balanced approach towards general health and fitness, but that doesn't necessarily have to be gained using a barbell. Those of us who are into the iron game and are obsessed with it would do well to reflect that a well put together general calisthenics program would be sufficient to help 90% of the population stay healthy and happy.

As someone who rotates both lifting and bodyweight depending on what sounds more interesting each year, amen :) I have found very few people who accept that the "other" way of training is also efficient.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Lifting makes your body look good, that's why I lift
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    I've always been a typical pear shape. Cardio got me fit but I became scrawny up top yet remained heavy below... Making me look very out of proportion, and at my lightest I looked a little odd....

With lifting, my top half has filled out a little and my bottom half is firmer. I look far more in proportion, and although over 2 stone heavier than I was at my "fittest", I look slimmer than I did before because there is not that screaming difference in shirt and skirt sizes!

I'm not quite "hourglass".... Yet.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    I lift to help keep my strength and muscle density up as I get older and help control my blood sugars. They stay much lower when I include lifting 3 days a week in my normal routine.
  • bbassard
    bbassard Posts: 4 Member
    Lift.

Mobility, Endurance and health.

And of course I love how it transforms your body.

I do a mixture of mma, weightlifting, backpacking, rock climbing and also want to incorporate rock climbing and light gymnastics. I just want to be the best possible human I can be for the longest amount of time.

@JBassard such a cool thread.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2016
    Lifting rocks! I have really been concentrating on it for around 6 months now rather than cardio and I'm really seeing noticeable and positive changes...plus I love feeling strong :smile:

and I'm doing it so my bones/muscles are healthy/strong which will stand me in good stead for getting older.