Under active thyroid.

Options
Hi, I've joined since becoming Hypothyroid last year and gaining two stone. I can't shift it, as being Hypothyroid, my metabolism doesn't work very well. I'm currently waiting for correct medication to fix this (no magic food or supplements will correct thyroid disease but medicine), so what I'm asking is for food that fills you up for a long time. I'm currently on 1500 cals a day according to my fitness pal, but as my metabolism is much slower than a regular person's, I want to keep it closer to 1000. The usual foods like pasta and jacket potatoes don't keep me full for longer than an hour.

Replies

• Phenamina
    Phenamina Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am hypothyrodic too, just please make sure you get it checked every three to four months - even after you have your meds (as the amount we need changes - with our weight, summer to winter etc)

PROTEIN!!!! I have just lost about 17lbs so it can be done :) have a protein shake in the morning - protein keeps you sated for much longer (carbs are absolutely the wrong way to try and fill up even though you initially feel full) eggs (its the whites that have the protein) = 3gm per egg, milk = about 10 gm per glass, meat (lean healthier choices) I think a chicken breast comes in at about 20gm.

I also do a protein shake after I workout - good quality whey = 30gm per serving usually (plus another 10 if you use milk)

I am doing atkins right now, so you use almond milk as its low-carb (but then also don't get the milk protein :(

Feel free to add me if you like! I hope this helps and good luck :)
  • catherinepurvis1
    catherinepurvis1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism. I have to cut down on carbs to lose weight. If i eat over 50 grams a day i won't lose. Good luck. It can be done.
  • swriker
    swriker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Following
  • PanamaCaramelLatte
    PanamaCaramelLatte Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm on Synthroid...also low thyroid...I'm just trying to track calories for now, have Truvia instead of sugar, try whole grains instead of white processed foods...just small changes will make a big difference.
  • jessicamloredo
    jessicamloredo Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I love carbs. But I also have hypothyroidism and am on Armour thyroid medication. I've been consistently working out (jogging or cycling at least 5 days a week) and eating around 1400-1500 calories for about 3 weeks but have only lost a pound. I think I need to start paying attention to my macronutrients - ie focusing on eating even fewer carbs and more protein. It's frustrating when my buddies on MFP are clocking in their consistent weight loss weigh-ins and I'm over here like yup... still only 1 lb lost. hahaha I tried to explain my dilemma, but I only got awkward glances like I was some sort of freak. But I just try to keep focused on consistency, long term heart health, and strength. I can feel myself getting stronger everyday even if I can't see changes on my body yet... good luck everyone! <3