Avocados...

Options
i have just got some frozen avocados from tescos (uk), it says on the pack 123cals per 100g. if i get a 'ripe and ready' avocado from the same shop from the chilled section it says 198cals per 100g. surely they made a mistake on the packaging of one of them? im so confused, please help :)

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that is the frozen weight nutrition? It will weigh less once defrosted. Either that or it is pitted weight vs non pitted weight.

That is the only things I can think of.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, just wanted to thank you for letting me know there's such a thing as frozen avocado! How do you use it? Can you defrost it and use it like fresh?
  • stepea83
    stepea83 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    as 64crayons said i didnt know there was frozen versions in the shops. shall keep an eye out. also want to know if its fresh after its defrosted?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have heard that you cannot freeze avocados. Changes texture and taste. Is that false?
    At Aldi, I have felt them and they seemed frozen. They tasted really bad.
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    I don't know the answer, just wanted to thank you for letting me know there's such a thing as frozen avocado! How do you use it? Can you defrost it and use it like fresh?
    I have heard that you cannot freeze avocados. Changes texture and taste. Is that false?
    At Aldi, I have felt them and they seemed frozen. They tasted really bad.
    stepea83 wrote: »
    as 64crayons said i didnt know there was frozen versions in the shops. shall keep an eye out. also want to know if its fresh after its defrosted?

Yeah they're a new thing at Tescos in the uk, says on the pack to defrost for around 4 hours and eat as normal.
    Just don't understand how the calories can be much lower than other avocados it doesn't make sense. Feel like i'm going to be lying to my self and going over my goals because it doesn't seem right to me. I shall let you all know after lunch if its worth trying them.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Could you type the ingredients list? Is it a whole fruit or mushed?
    Maybe it's not Hass Avocados? I wish I had a link to the product.
  • fittyinthemaking
    Options
    They are avocado halves, skinned and stoned. Also they don't have an ingredients list on the back. I looked on the Tesco website but they've taken them off so they are either out of stock or they have realized it was a silly thing to bring out lol! just trying it now, it's very sloppy :(
  • fittyinthemaking
    Options
    Apparently they use a 'fast freezing' method which is why we shouldn't freeze them ourselves, there is a few articles on it if you google
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The difference might be pitted avocado vs. non pitted. Go with the package info they came in. And congratulations on choosing healthy foods for your heart.
    Fast freezing? Even getting them too cold in the fridge changes their taste. Strange.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Frozen avocados?

The very concept bothers me
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Oh God, frozen Avocados? Why did anyone feel the need to invent that?
    Is the texture of them after they've defrosted as gross as I'm imagining it to be?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking its 123 per a half avacado and 193 for a whole. As well to consider is the size bc there are small med and large avacado which are all different sizes and calories count as well to consider pit. What I'd do is weight your portion then look it up with the usda site for most accurate calories.
  • TraciHindes
    TraciHindes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just watched The Kitchen, on the Food Network. They showed how to freeze avocados. Just pit and peel them as if you were going to use them, throw them in a freezer safe Ziploc (without any lemon juice) remove as much air as you can, and pop them in the freezer. This way you can pull what you need, when you need it. I have not tried it, but I plan on trying it when I find avocados on sale. I have frozen the individual guacamole cups that you can get at Costco, and that works fine. The texture, color, and flavor are not compromised at all.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Calories are only estimates based on averages. They burn food on a controlled environment, a calorie is how much energy it takes to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius at a pressure of one atmosphere. Our bodies don't burn calories, they convert nutrients into energy.

About 1/4 of an avocado is a serving. Portions are much more important, as is eating a balanced, variety of food. Do that and you will lose body fat.
  • nikkilovessweets
    nikkilovessweets Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Frozen avocados???! Intriguing.
  • MelaniaTrump
    Options
    @traci Careful with buying a bunch of avocados and freezing them. Why not buy one and try first? The quacamole at stores is vacuum packed and also has ingredients added.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Oh my this sounds gross! Has anyone tried a defrosted avocado?

For what it's worth the verified USDA entry on MFP is 160cal/100g, I would use that.