loose skin

Options
How do you avoid getting loose skin while losing 100 pounds? Thanks for all answers

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You don't, just got to accept it will happen.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Well, they say it's easier when you lose weight slowly, you are young and you haven't been overweight for years... Otherwise I guess we are out of luck :s
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    With your goal and time frame loose skin is probably going to be an issue. At your percentage goal it's probably an issue regardless of time frame.
  • 13muthonikimani
    13muthonikimani Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You should aim to lose weight slowly and at a gradual pace. Incorporate strength training as early as possible and go easy on the cardio, no need to start running marathons right away, slow and gradual increments is key. Again, involve strength training as early as possible, it will aid in weight loss by increasing your basal metabolic rate and replace some of the lost fat with muscle.

All the best in your journey! Feel free to add me as a friend
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    If your skin is going to tighten up, and some tightening should happen, apparently it takes 2 years.

I've lost just over 50 lbs and things were really wrinkly and saggy for a while there, but I've been down 50 lbs for about 3 months now, and I think it is s-l-o-w-l-y tightening up. There might be hope by the time I reach the 2-year mark.

• mizzelegant97
    mizzelegant97 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone add me need friends
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Yep. And don't expect miracles are 2 years either, if anything I've lost a couple more inches since I've been around this weight (almost 2 years now) and my belly looks worse. The skin hasn't tightened one bit.

But I always say... still better than the alternative.
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

But I always say... still better than the alternative.

Spot on!!

• cocoricocogirl
    cocoricocogirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I lost almost 50 kilos, and I struggle with extra skin for 6 years now. Was about to decide to get my "wings" chopped, but my baby girl loves to tweak it and play with it. It's her ultimate comfort zone.
    In the meantime, I took on weightlifting, and fitness in general, and guess what? Skin has tightened.
    And not just a little either.
    Which is a huge surprise.
    I look much tighter everywhere, and definition starts to show.
    So, I wouldn't be 100% negative. There will be loose skin, but you can limit the damage by working out.
  • anitaroz
    anitaroz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was told years ago that drinking plenty of water helps and toning fast, with light weights and lots of repetitions instead of heavy weights.
  • deniseteas
    deniseteas Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot fast too and had some really loose abdominal skin and upper thighs...but with weight training and working hard at my abs it is tightening up...its not 100% gone but its getting there....just try you best and be proud of yourself for getting the weight off...
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is good for a lot of things. Just remember that those eight 8 oz. glasses include the water you get from your foods, such as cucumbers and tomatoes.
  • maggierenee88
    maggierenee88 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You should aim to lose weight slowly and at a gradual pace. Incorporate strength training as early as possible and go easy on the cardio, no need to start running marathons right away, slow and gradual increments is key. Again, involve strength training as early as possible, it will aid in weight loss by increasing your basal metabolic rate and replace some of the lost fat with muscle.

All the best in your journey! Feel free to add me as a friend

I agree with this. I've lost almost 100lbs and I have ZERO loose skin. I lost it very gradually, and incorporated weight training since the beginning. You can check out my pics if you want, but trust me - it's possible.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    good genetics.

ive lost 70 and dont have any loose skin, but i also have more to lose, so we shall see. exercise, weights, and a slow rate of loss can HELP reduce loose skin, but its largely genetics.

however my lack of loose skin is counteracted by the stretch marks 2 pregnancies gave me. we all have our issues ;) LOLOL
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Basically: drink plenty of water, do resistance exercises, get enough fat in your diet, lose slowly, and have patience. Those things will give you the best skin possible for you. Whether it will all tighten up depends on your age, genetics, etc.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Yep, this is really what it boils down to. People can give you a list of 10 things which might or might not incrementally help but for the most part this is beyond your control and you're better off not focusing on it and just work on losing the weight.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I in no way lost 100 lbs...but I can say that my "problem area" after having 3 children one right after the other...has tightened up considerably. Stay well hydrated and focus on your weight loss...I doubt you will be thinking about loose skin when you are rocking a great pair of jeans or a cute top. This is about a healthier YOU!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    It's partially genetics and age, but these measures should help:
    1. Not losing weight too fast
    2. Strength training or bodyweight routines while you lose weight
    3. Eating adequate protein

Other posters have said they'd been at their goal weight for a year or two before their skin finished tightening up.

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to-minimize-loose-skin-during-weight-loss-1696145766
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    good genetics.

Really, this is so much of it. The genetic lottery.

That said, the other things folks have mentioned should help, or so I've read. Resistance training, losing slowly, plenty of water, and I've also read that exfoliation and moisturizing helps in the long run as well. Can't hurt!