I have a 'sugar' question

Options
airtyke
airtyke Posts: 6 Member
I'm only 13 days in to my new MFP regime and following a programme of eating mainly whole natural foods - fruit and veg - but also allow eg brown rice. I've cut out booze, crisps, sweets (candy), cow's milk and meat and have had some success, but I have noticed my sugar intake is still quite high presumably because I am consuming oranges, carrots, apples, all high in (natural) sugar.

I'm still fairly new to MFP so not sure if I am using it properly - is there anyway to differentiate between refined sugars and natural sugars? Am I right in thinking 5g of sugar from fruit is not as bad for you as 5g of sugar from (say) polo mints? Or am I fooling myself ?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar target and accounting is all in total sugars from all sources, as that's what labels say. It should be at least 45 grams per day if you've re-run your goals in the last 2 years.

5g of sugar from fruit is broadly similar to 5g from polo mints but the fruit has some fibre and micronutrients that won't be in the polo mint.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    MPF will not allow you to differentiate between added sugars and natural sugars. I suspect this will happen in the future if nutrition labels are changed.
    I do not count sugar from fruits, veggies, and milk. Many people will tell you to keep added sugars to less than 20 grams a day.
  • airtyke
    Options
    Ok thanks both. So by replacing my sweet/candy habit with a fruit habit isn't really helping my sugar intake problem - but may have other non-sugar benefits eg more fibre. Hmmm, this cutting sugar lark is harder than I thought.

I do think it's a shame MFP can't assign sugars as either 'natural' or 'refined' in the same way fats are split into saturated and unsaturated. That's probably a labelling problem though as you say.

Anyway I appreciate your thoughts, cheers.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is the same sugar as the sugar in cookies, but as you are saying, fruit comes with benefits that cookies don't have - like vitamins and fiber. Your body can't differenciate between sugar from fruit and sugar from cookies, so in my opinion, there's really no need to log them separately. Just aim to get in your five-a-day, hit your protein and fat goals, and if you have "left over" calories, you can fill up with whatever you like, alcohol, candy, ice cream - or more fruit.

And then I'm dying to know why you've cut out milk and meat, and only "allow" brown rice?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    airtyke wrote: »
    Ok thanks both. So by replacing my sweet/candy habit with a fruit habit isn't really helping my sugar intake problem - but may have other non-sugar benefits eg more fibre. Hmmm, this cutting sugar lark is harder than I thought.

I do think it's a shame MFP can't assign sugars as either 'natural' or 'refined' in the same way fats are split into saturated and unsaturated. That's probably a labelling problem though as you say.

Anyway I appreciate your thoughts, cheers.

Except you don't have to focus on a "sugar intake problem".
    Don't make it hard, focus first on calories - meeting protein and fat objectives, getting a lot of variety and green produce. You can still lose weight with a little sweet in your life, be it from fruit or not.

You seem to be cutting out a lot of things. It can be a personal choice, but know that it isn't necessary.

(And fruit has benefits that more refined sugars do not.)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to limit sugar. I don't even bother to track it. Stay under calories and you'll lose weight, that's it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to limit sugar. I don't even bother to track it. Stay under calories and you'll lose weight, that's it.

This appears not to be the advice offered by the WHO and various national and regional bodies , unless I overlooked one ?
  • airtyke
    Options
    I'm just experimenting with going veggie, don't claim to be one, just wanted to experience a period without meat and eating whole food, plant based products. As for milk, it's also an experiment, but I do feel strongly it's not necessary for grown adult humans.
  • JQuinnLife
    JQuinnLife Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sugar in high quantities is highly toxic. Source

If you are truly concerned about sugar consumption, as you should be, take a look at the Ketogenics diet. It's a great way to eat for health. I have kept my sugar under 20g a day the entire time I've been on Keto.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If it helps at all, I was prediabetic about 2 years ago. My doctor told me to eliminate all added sugars, all processed sugars. I was told it was ok and even encouraged to eat fruit and vegetables. She said if I was going to eat fruit high in sugar to also make sure I ate something like nuts or egg whites with it so that I didn't have an insulin induced reaction.
  • hlc302
    hlc302 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi not sure if your U.K but there was a good programme (series) on bbc1 called "trust me i,m a doctor" with an episode about sugars & replacements (these by in large not great! ) was worth a watch if you can get it on catch up etc .
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    All carbohydrates turn into "sugar" a banana and can of coke are not that different in terms of sugar, but a banana has nutrients and coke does not. My mother is diabetic and a corn tortilla spikes her more than dark chocolate. (dark chocolate has fat which in combo has less of an insulin reaction (see cupcakesmom's comment)
    I'd say up your green veggies and lower things like carrots, corn and most fruit (melons and berries are the best to eat)
    It's a life balance....I dropped all refined sugar, then I noticed I was overeating fruit..hmmmm because....sugar!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    airtyke wrote: »

You probably don't have a "sugar intake problem." If you read the reasoning given by the WHO and the US Dietary Guidelines, among others, for limiting sugar, they focus on "added sugar" (and have a lower limit than MFP, 5 or 10% vs. 15%). The reasons given aren't that sugar itself is bad above that level or any other that I've seen backed with credible evidence (assuming you do get in what you need in your diet), it's that a diet high in added sugars tends to be a diet that includes too many calories and not enough nutrients. If your sugar is coming from fruits and veg and dairy and, especially, if you focus on eating a nutrient rich diet with lots of veg and adequate protein and healthy fats and keeping calories in line, it is extremely unlikely that you have the issues that these guidelines are trying to avoid. MFP's 15% is just a rough guess at what a good limit for total sugars is based on an assumption or averages about how people eat (many users don't eat lots of fruit and veg, for example). Many people who do separately focus on eating a healthy diet find it easier to track fiber (a different rough estimate of how nutrient dense your carb choices might be, also imperfect) or simply to see where their sugar is coming from and focus on their diet overall (that's what I do -- I don't worry about sugar from fruit and veg and I actively focus on eating a lot of vegetables).

Yes, since it's not on the labels there's no way to do it. You get the same basic effect by just looking at where the sugar is coming from. I've never been surprised myself, but some claim to be surprised by what they get in certain packaged foods (although there you have to be aware that some of it might not be added -- plain yogurt is going to have lactose as the sugar (not added), whereas flavored yogurt will have a mix). [Edit: I see you aren't eating dairy; just an easy example.]
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good for you for improving your diet!! But yes, as others have said, MFP doesn't differentiate between candy and an apple. YOU know you're eating fruit versus candy. That's what really matters. I'm sure MFP will be adding it as the US guidelines have shifted, but it will take time. cheers
  • airtyke
    Options
    Excellent feedback, thanks everyone, some great advice in there and it's much appreciated. I am UK based and have that programme recorded.

I'm not eating so much fruit now but nor am I worrying about natural sugars.

I'm basically cutting processed foods and refined carbs, also alcohol. I'm losing weight, sleeping better and feeing better.

Thanks again, it's good in here :)

Andy
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »

If you are truly concerned about sugar consumption, as you should be, take a look at the Ketogenics diet. It's a great way to eat for health. I have kept my sugar under 20g a day the entire time I've been on Keto.

Care to post a source that isn't complete and utter nonsense?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Molecules don't have memories. The sugar doesn't know it came from an apple or a candy bar.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Water in high quantities is toxic, are you also going to suggest a dehydration diet? The does makes the poison.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Stop fooling yourself and listen to what people here say about sugar. You can eat sugar.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

LOL