Protein help

Options
I have a hard time getting protein in. I need help figuring out some high protein items that I can eat. I do not want to use supplements. Shakes give me headaches. Any suggestions or help would be wonderful. Thank you

Replies

• robopetr
    robopetr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Almonds (unsalted) ? Cashews (unsalted and not rosted) are good too. I use them on a regular base when I need to recover from harder training units. I'm not a nutritionist, so I might be wrong ... better fact check what I said :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, fish, nuts, cheese, milk, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs.

What is your target goal? I generally get 100-130g a day before having a supplement, which comes easily enough on 2500 a day. If on lower calories you might have to focus more on the above foods as a priority, but should still be attainable to get a decent amount.
  • ambrosia1998
    ambrosia1998 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    robopetr wrote: »
    Have you tried Almonds (unsalted) ? Cashews (unsalted and not rosted) are good too. I use them on a regular base when I need to recover from harder training units. I'm not a nutritionist, so I might be wrong ... better fact check what I said :)
    Thank you I should have also mentioned I have a sever nut allergy. That's one of the reasons I am having difficulty. I know nuts would be wonderful. I can do cashews but they are very high in fat for what protein it allows me. Thanks :)
  • ambrosia1998
    Options
    Lean meats, fish, nuts, cheese, milk, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs.

What is your target goal? I generally get 100-130g a day before having a supplement, which comes easily enough on 2500 a day. If on lower calories you might have to focus more on the above foods as a priority, but should still be attainable to get a decent amount.

Thank you I think I just have to learn how to eat meat better I do the yogurts and cheese with the occasional hard boiled egg after working out. But I am running protein deficient. I will start adding meat into my daily diet. I usually only eat meat twice a week. Thank you I can handle white fish and chicken so I will do those. Thanks for your help.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Find ways to layer your proteins in meals & snacks. Tomorrow I'm making pesto for dinner: I'll use Barilla's protein pasta, and I will toss white beans from Italy in as well. With some Parmesan that's three sources of protein. I make a breakfast burrito with a high protein low carb tortilla, turkey chorizo, scrambled egg and cheese. It has 20 g of protein. I like to eat 100 g of protein a day, so every time I eat I think about where my protein is coming from...
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You can buy high protein pasta, eggs are good. Cottage cheese and greek yoghurt have very little calories and great amounts of protein.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Meat, Eggs, Cheese. Easy!
  • rebeccaj822
    rebeccaj822 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to add more meat, you can try some of the vegan meat substitutes. I like the garden seven grain chicken fingers and beyond beef fiesta. Both have about the same protein as meat and are no more caloric than lean meats.
  • haterhaze
    haterhaze Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Jerky, quest bars, tuna, Joseph's pita bread, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt with PB.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to get my protein too. Eggs for breakfast helps. Yogurt, oatmeal, flax seeds, cheese. I eat lentils and beans too. Meat is too expensive here where I live (Tunisia) so I don't eat that every day, but that would be an obvious choice.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese for breakfast, it helps. I just finished making some meal plans to reduce carbs/increase protein and most things came to adding more meat (I get bored of it quickly). I'm also trying to add more eggs where I can and greek yogurt (the plain, unsweetened can be added to many things as a cream replacement).
  • ambrosia1998
    Options
    TasnimEz wrote: »
    I'm struggling to get my protein too. Eggs for breakfast helps. Yogurt, oatmeal, flax seeds, cheese. I eat lentils and beans too. Meat is too expensive here where I live (Tunisia) so I don't eat that every day, but that would be an obvious choice.

I understand I am in Germany so I don't have access to many of the products mentioned. Plus with my wheat and nut allergy it is difficult. I think I need to turn to eating more fish. I just learned how to make my own cottage cheese so that is my plan now. . Thank you