Running After a Break

Options
I last ran on the 11th November, 10k in 1hour 1 minute.

I get sports induced asthma in the cold when I exercise outdoors so I've been spinning and lifting indoors since then. However I haven't run.

I'm doing a 10k in April. I hope the weather improves in the next couple of weeks to get back to it.

I'm wondering how runners get back into it after a 2-3 month break?

Is it best to run a distance, for a set time or alternate run / walk and build it up?

Replies

• omegamaster40
    omegamaster40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend doing a slow start with running/walking build. The trick is to not increase your distance (weekly total) by more than 10% each week. I have had several injuries and setbacks trying to best that rule of thumb.

Once you build up your base mileage (perhaps a couch to 5k program?) I would recommend doing one of the Hal Higdons 10k training program. They are great and help you increase your mileage at a nice pace.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51121/10K-Training-Guide
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was suffering from a bad calf strain for a few months. I've been getting back into it. I've been focusing more on logging miles, even slowly, than I have at trying to get back to where I was. I'm back up to 10 mile runs, but they are about 45-50 seconds a mile slower than what I was at :-(

• GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks a million for the feedback.

Yeah what I kind of thought, I'm still very active so had hoped to get back into it but I do need to get my base back and I suppose the C25K is as good a place as any to start. Whatever about a 10k I'm hoping to do my first half marathon in the summer.

I did a Hal Higdons training programme before, was really great but I had forgotten about it! :)
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've always gotten back into running after a brief break by going out and running whatever distance I could comfortably run (usually 3-5 miles) 3-4x per week, and then increasing from there. I've never alternated walking and running, except for when I took a several month break after a bad knee injury.
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't take you long to build back up to what you were running before..muscle memory. Just start off slow and gradually increase. You'll be back to how you were in no time provided you are properly fueling as well..
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks!