Time for a restart! Goal of 40lb loss

Options
drcain
drcain Posts: 59 Member
Hey everyone...I could really use some accountability. I weigh in on Monday mornings and it would be helpful to find a handful of people who want to all check in and hold each other accountable for our food choices, etc (mine suck right now).
I am 38, mom (and step-mom) to 4 kids ages 21, 18, 18, and 12 as well as married, animal foster parent, and full time employee at a desk job that I love. I am not a gourmet cook or even a novice cook. I struggle to come up with healthy quick meals that my family will like but most importantly me since I am a picky eater (but I am trying to expand my horizons as part of my new years resolution).

Replies

• KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Good for you for expanding your horizons. That can be hard with food choices. Feel free to add me.
  • KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to join you. I've set a goal of 45 lbs to lose, and so far I'm down 6.2. I'm 41 and a mom to three fur babies, as well as about to become an animal foster parent (we have that in common!) ...

One thing I've done for myself is I set aside time every week to cook for the week. It doesn't cover every meal, but I try to do a few casseroles or soups, etc. that I can portion out and stick in the fridge or freezer. I have a few go-to recipes, and then sometimes I try and mix that up for dinners by cooking a stir fry, or making some other dish on the fly depending on my mood. But I always have those staples in the freezer, which really helps me plan my days better.

One thing you might try, given you have a large family, is look into slow cooker meals. You can put them in the cooker and let them do their thing over the course of the day, and all you have to do is the initial prep. This might make your life a little easier.

Also, I was a member for awhile of a program called eMealz. I found it helpful, but as a single person it was too much food. For familes, it's fantastic. You pick a style of meal plan you like, and then it gives you the meals with grocery list and recipes for each week, so you don't have to plan as much. Not sure how this would work for you if you're a picky eater, but you could look at some of the sample recipes they provide on their website. It is a subscription service, but it's fairly inexpensive. I found it really helped me "step outside of my box" when I became tired of the same old things. Just an idea. I'm betting there are lots of neat recipes on MFP, too, but I haven't looked into them to see how easy it is to find stuff that is appealing.
  • ChristinaM50
    ChristinaM50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am restarting as well. I am 50ish, I currently weight about 140 and my " ideal" weight is 125. I am starting with a goal to lose 10lbs for right now. It will be helpful to me as well to check in with someone on weigh in day. I want to eat better and exercise more. I have a gym membership that just needs dusting off. I am trying to start by making my not so good for me portions smaller and my vegetable portion bigger.
  • rbharmon62
    rbharmon62 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I am looking for! I'm in my 50s and finding that getting the weight off is harder than ever. I need to lose about 40-50 lbs and I also weigh in on Mondays! Would love to connect with you and help each other out.
  • drcain
    drcain Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I can't wait to get to know all of you as we work this together!
  • kristinebolton5
    kristinebolton5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I' am doing a restart as well. I' am 35 years old and a mother to 2 girls (10 & 7). My youngest daughter is the fussiest eater EVER!!! Im looking to lose about 40-45 lbs. This week, I'm slowly getting back into the exercise but cutting out all sugar that I drink and eating more healthy. Biggest down fall for me is breakfast! I have never been a big breakfast eater. Not sure if you have a pinterest account but pinterest has A LOT of recipe ideas. Feel free to add me and we can help each other out!
  • Gerbsxyng412
    Gerbsxyng412 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You can add me... I need accountably as well as I have lost 70 but have another 100 tog o
  • heatherduff792
    heatherduff792 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Would love to join you all. 37, busy as heck, need to drop the 40 or so pounds i've managed to put back on. Could really use some accountability and encourgement!
  • PixiePrincess16
    PixiePrincess16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be accountable with a group! I'm in my mid-40s, Mom to one child and two fur babies <3 I started running when I turned 40, and quickly became addicted to that activity. My fitness improved greatly, but running became my 'excuse' for eating too many carbs. "I can run that off" I told myself. Yeah.. not! I was so close to my goal...within 25lbs... but then I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and prescribed meds. Within 6mos I had gained between 15-20. I tried to go off the meds once because of the weight gain but soon realized I need them. My Dr has advised me that I may never be off of them, so I need to be realistic about my diet. I don't blame my meds 100% for my weight gain. But I do know that my carb heavy-grab what's quick-not eating consistently-then overeating because I'm 'starving' diet habits worked with the metabolism slowing side effects of my medication to make the weight really easy to come back! So now it's time to cut WAY back on carbs, and get a more balanced plan.

My big challenge however -- I'm training to participate in runDisney's Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon weekend in May. I'm doing the Pixie Dust Challenge which means a 10K on Saturday, 1/2 Marathon on Sunday. Sounds like it should be easy to drop weight right?! Not... because this is my 7th Half Marathon, and second PDC... and I'm still in the battle ;) The problem is getting enough carbs & protein to keep me going through training ... but not so much that I'm not losing!

Monday would be a perfect day for me to weigh in -- since it means I will have to be more accountable over the weekend!!