Need flavor!

Options
So I'm on the "Perfect Origins live lean " diet.
All raw/alkaline diet. Lots of raw veggies, a few nuts, hard boiled eggs, and fresh squeezed lemon water with cayenne twice daily. No coffee, no yogurt, no meats....etc.
For the most part it isn't bad. But what I see as the failure point for me is I like flavor. Well, that and meat! And after a week of this I'm already feeling like I'm eating cardboard,and although I'm seeing progress, ultimately it isn't the lifestyle change I will stick with.

I don't feel that I ate that horrible to begin with. But this diet is meant to be drastic. What are some good things to eat that are low in sugar, low in calories....well...low in every thing but flavor!

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What's your goal with such a drastic diet? How much are you trying to lose? Are you going to continue eating this way for the rest of your life?

If the answer to that last one is no, why not set yourself with a reasonable calorie deficit based on MFP suggestion, eat the foods you enjoy focusing on making sure you eat a variety of nutrient dense foods but still leaving room for treats if you like. Log everything, and be patient. You will lose the weight in a way that you can follow forever.

Losing weight should not feel like a punishment, the food you eat shouldn't lack flavor, and a diet should never be described as "drastic".
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Well if you insist on sticking to it try red wine vinegar, mustard, and garlic for savory. Maybe explore more into fresh basil, cilantro, and chives. Fruit for sweet if its even allowed.
  • wbetters
    wbetters Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a bet with my son that I can get my abs back before our Mexico trip (66 days). POUNDS doesn't mean anything to me. BMI obviously does.
    So my goal is to shread as much fat as possible to achieve this. But my ultimate goal is to maintain after. So for now, I need a solution to not say, "OK, this can pound sand!"
    I can handle the small portions, the hungry feeling, drinking what feels like gallons of water a day, and everything else. But I like flavor and if I feel like that is just going away too...that will be the deal breaker.
  • wbetters
    Options
    Before anyone says it, no. Not a realistic diet. I realize that. But I need to reiterate that this is two part. I AM in drastic measures mode for right now. That is short term to achieve a drastic result. I do realize the long haul is going to be much more lax, and I am not worried about that part. But for the drastic measures stretch, even I know my limitations, and that's what I'm trying to address.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    Well if you insist on sticking to it try red wine vinegar, mustard, and garlic for savory. Maybe explore more into fresh basil, cilantro, and chives. Fruit for sweet if its even allowed.

This ^

@wbetters how many calories are you netting with this and how tall are you?
  • wbetters
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm allowed 1021 total per day.
    I'm 5' 10.5".

Never thought about basil, garlic, and cilantro! Great flavors, I like it!!!

Thanks!
  • AshyAshy10
    AshyAshy10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I put Frank's Red Hot on just about everything.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    wbetters wrote: »
    I'm allowed 1021 total per day.
    I'm 5' 10.5".

Are you being medically supervised for this? 1200 calories is the minimum recommended for women outside doctor's supervision, and that's for women who are way shorter than you.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Aggressive weight loss goal tied to a specific time bound event with an unhealthy calorie level, super restrictive diet and food you don't enjoy. You probably won't have energy to exercise, so I'm not sure how you are going to shred any fat or get the abs you want.

Does that really seem like a good idea to you OP?

Or in two months time you could put yourself on a modest deficit (250 -500 cals), begin a strength training program, do some cardio, and lose 5-10 lbs before your trip but not be so miserable in the process.

I know which one I would choose...

• wbetters
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't know about the medical side. Can't comment on that. But I actually feel very energetic compared to before. Go figure. And I am a coffee junky! (Quit cold turkey) I also work out three times a week to Bas Ruttens MMA heavy bag routine, as well as doing insanity. I don't feel weak, get dizzy, or anything else that I would relate to deficiency. I will keep that in mind and if I start feeling adversely affected, will recognize it as a problem vs shrug it off as "expected with weight loss." Thanks.

I know the diet sounds crazy, but knowing my personality, to be honest....yes, a very good idea. I have already lost 8 lbs and dropped almost 3% BMI...Which is the more important number to me concerning abs. Again after the crunch, I plan on toning it WAY down for the long term. But I don't see this as any different as when lifters carb out for a competition, or when wrestlers shed for a weight class. I have a very specific goal with a finite time frame. I don't have a specific weight goal. To me that is a crusher in this scenario. Goal is a visual one. Quantified only by that. So it's as successful as I perceive. Which to be honest, I feel will be a win / win. I can't lose. And as long as you can make out my stomache muscles, I win the bet. ;)
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would say spices to help...Italian seasoning, cinnamon, garlic, onion, cilantro, cajun, etc. That will help add flavor to anything.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    How old is your son? I'm more concerned that you are passing on unhealthy habits/messages to a child.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    How old is your son? I'm more concerned that you are passing on unhealthy habits/messages to a child.

Yes this. At a minimum unnecessarily stressing the importance of body image at the possible expense healthy habits and realistic goal setting...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'1 and lose 2 lbs/ week on 1500 cals/ day

you are really not doing this in a safe manner at ALL......

and i hope this son.... is a full grown adult... and even then, its setting a bad example for the proper way of taking care of yourself.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    So you're a man and eating only over 1,000 calories per day? I'm a female and there's no way I could sustain that.
  • wbetters
    Options
    These responses shock me. Really. Im following a sanctioned diet from a source I found through THIS community! Dr. Charles Livingston, Perfect Origin. Via book, "Fat Burning System"

As far as my son goes, and the image I am portraying, that is absolutely ridiculous. Im eating extremely healthy, and believe or not, the portions are not tiny. Just BLAND for my taste. Im exercising more than he has EVER seen me. So tell me where the negativity is?! Im showing eating smarter, better portions vs my normal nickname of the clean up crew. Im showing dedication to achieving a goal. I stopped eating all sweets. I stopped drinking Monster Energy drinks, and i literally drink 90+ oz of water a day beyond my two 8 oz glasses of fresh squeezed lemon water with cayanne.

And my son is none of your business.

I came here for some support. I am doing NOTHING in the way of hurting myself. Im following a program sponsored here. That I found here. I just wanted to know a good way to make it more tasty so i dont quit.

But never mind. Insult me as a parent? Screw you.

Dont bother responding anymore here.

Admin you can lock the thread and close my forum account. I wont be back. Great support.