exercise for beginners

Options
I am just starting out and am looking for the best exercise to start off with. I am over 100 pounds over weight and some moves i cant do.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Walking is how I started
  • omegamaster40
    omegamaster40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    walking is a good one to start with. After that I would suggest working some elliptical and stationary bike into your routine - both good for burning calories and changing up your workout while not putting stress on your knees and joints.

Also, to add a bit of a fun activity in, if you like racquet sports, would be pickleball once a week. It gets you moving a bit, isn't overly physically demanding (designed for people over 50 who's knees don't let them play tennis or racquetball anymore - although at 30 I love it and play it with my parents), it adds a social component to your workout and just mixes things up a bit.
  • aksmti
    aksmti Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I use the eliptical machine and after 10 minutes I am so out of breath I have to sit for a while to rest.
  • mallyboo3533
    mallyboo3533 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Beginner Shred!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Walking regularly is perfect to start with. Do ten mins most days then build up slowly to 30 mins. If you like DVDs to do at home Leslie Sansone walking programmes are brilliant. They are on YouTube too. It's walking in place with a few extra moves (kicks etc). There are lots of different levels so start easy and gradually move to longer or harder ones. Enjoy your exercise.
  • iangelab
    iangelab Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    walking for sure. and I love the biggest loser workout dvd's. I don't do them much anymore, but starting out they were well done and realistic for all shapes and sizes.
  • aksmti
    Options
    Thanks I will look into the videos
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Walking regularly is perfect to start with. Do ten mins most days then build up slowly to 30 mins. If you like DVDs to do at home Leslie Sansone walking programmes are brilliant. They are on YouTube too. It's walking in place with a few extra moves (kicks etc). There are lots of different levels so start easy and gradually move to longer or harder ones. Enjoy your exercise.

This^

Here are a few to get you started.
    www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

They come in DVD form too. Nice because you can use the music only option, and are chaptered so you can mix and match workouts to create a short or long workout. I'm liking this one right now: http://www.collagevideo.com/products/mix-match-walk-blasters
  • aksmti
    Options
    Cool thanks
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    aksmti wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I use the eliptical machine and after 10 minutes I am so out of breath I have to sit for a while to rest.

I hate the elliptical. However, I started walking last spring and am now up to three mile hikes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Walking, like others said.

If you have access to a pool either swimming or other water-based exercises can be a great option too.

I'm not a huge fan of the stationary bike (just because it can be boring, although it's nice to vary exercises), but if you have weather like we do it can be a good option to work up to riding outside when it's better out. That's one thing I did when I started out in Jan 2014, and biking outside was probably my favorite form of exercise that summer.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/resources/
    Some great free videos to follow on here, especially the body weight one
  • aksmti
    Options
    Thanks