Gym: morning or evening

Options
hello everyone! I'm trying to convince my other half that going to the gym in the morning is so much better than going in the evening. Problem is I kind of don't mind going in the evening after work. But evening, she return and changes her mind to not going. So I end up either not going or going to a really humid gym is is too busy

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    hello everyone! I'm trying to convince my other half that going to the gym in the morning is so much better than going in the evening. Problem is I kind of don't mind going in the evening after work. But evening, she return and changes her mind to not going. So I end up either not going or going to a really humid gym is is too busy

i have had the happen too
    I like to exercise in the morning. I get awake, feel accomplished and know how much i can eat for the day.

on the occassion that i go to a gym, i prefer the morning. but there is no right and wrong time. when the other half doesn't go, it doesn't mean you can't go.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The best time to go is whenever you will do it. Sounds like you need to quit blaming your wife and just go when you want. If she goes she goes, if not, you need to just go by yourself. You can't force someone to do what they don't want to do. Take responsibility for your own actions and maybe she'll start seeing your results and join you.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    whatever works best for whoever is going? I hate working out in the morning so I do it maybe once a month/every other month with my boyfriend. Mornings are reserved for coffee, commuting, and planning. I workout in the evening because I find that it helps me come down from work. My boyfriend however is horrible at leaving work at a decent hour so unless we're commuting together I don't wait for him to go to the gym.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why is morning better? If it's easier for you, go at that time. Let her go when she wants. If I waited around for someone to go to the gym with me I'd get very annoyed.
  • Rebel_Leader
    Rebel_Leader Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right. I go in the mornings but as recently as two weeks ago, I was asked to stop this. She wants to go gym together. I love going in the morning, everything is free, gym is a lot cooler and I can start my work day with plenty of energy.

I will spend my evening convincing her that I will go in the morning and it's up to her to join me.

So much hard work!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I go at lunch time because that's when works for me. There is no specific time of day that is scientifically better. It only matters when it comes to convenience or actual will to go.
  • ontosinc297
    ontosinc297 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Any reason you can't do both? I have a similar situation. I much prefer going in the morning but my gf can't because of her work schedule. I get a much better workout in the mornings but on days she can make it in the evening I still go and just take it a little easier. Some cardio, stretching and whatever I can squeeze in without waiting in line. It's a team effort but don't sacrifice your own workouts. Just my 2 cents.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right. I go in the mornings but as recently as two weeks ago, I was asked to stop this. She wants to go gym together. I love going in the morning, everything is free, gym is a lot cooler and I can start my work day with plenty of energy.

I will spend my evening convincing her that I will go in the morning and it's up to her to join me.

So much hard work!

Can you set schedule specific days to go to the gym with her? And if she doesn't go either go without her or let her know that you'll stop changing your routine if she doesn't actually go with you.

I actually block off time on my boyfriends calendar to go to the gym with him - otherwise he might not actually leave work early enough to go (he's a bit of a workaholic). If he skips it too many times (without a valid reason) then I stop waiting for him.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I do both. On week days, I go to the gym and yoga after work without going home first. If I go home, I will find a reason to stay there. I'm not a super early person so going before work just wouldn't cut it for me - is this maybe the case with your SO? On the weekends, I go in the late morning to keep the rest of my day open for my family. Do whatever works for you and whatever will get you into the gym. That might mean, not working out with your SO. Maybe if she sees you going regularly with or without her, she will get motivated to start going with you.
  • tonyakistler
    tonyakistler Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I prefer mornings but me and my sister now attend in the evenings. When I go in the moring I am awake and ready for the day. When I go at night it makes me drained and ready for bed.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I go whenever I can fit it in, but never in the morning. I'm not a morning person. My preferred time is right after work so I can blow off some steam before picking up my toddlers from day care. I went today on my lunch break though. I do know what you mean about the not getting it in if you wait too long. Once I've eaten dinner I feel less motivated to get back out there.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,991 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out in the evening and my husband prefers morning. I don't think it would be right for either one of us to try to make the other switch times. Just go when it is best for you and let her go when it is best for her.
  • Rebel_Leader
    Options
    Any reason you can't do both? I have a similar situation. I much prefer going in the morning but my gf can't because of her work schedule. I get a much better workout in the mornings but on days she can make it in the evening I still go and just take it a little easier. Some cardio, stretching and whatever I can squeeze in without waiting in line. It's a team effort but don't sacrifice your own workouts. Just my 2 cents.

That's a really good idea. I didn't not think of that. I want to support her so this something I will trial. Thank you.

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Like the very early morning.
    Not many people at the gym. You have your pick of equipment. Best part of all, then you are done for the day.
  • Rebel_Leader
    Options
    Like the very early morning.
    Not many people at the gym. You have your pick of equipment. Best part of all, then you are done for the day.

I totally agree. The workout is the biggest challenge of the day, once it's out of the way, the feel good factor is great!
  • Bostonbee79
    Bostonbee79 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used to love working out in the morning. I would do a 6am spin class. Then after showering, is head to work for the day. It was wonderful knowing that I didn't have the gym hanging over my head. I haven't done that in the last 5 years though, since I moved out of state. I like my current gym enough, but the classes I want are at night. Plus, I seem to go to bed too late now and don't want to wake up In the morning. I loved how energized I felt after a morning workout.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

yup, this is probably what will end up happening. that and he don't want to be there as long as me (slow runner with mileage goals)
  • Rebel_Leader
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Very interesting to hear your thoughts on this. It's all about compromise. I'll support the other hack by going gym in the evening whilst keeping to my own schedule.

Thanks again everyone.
  • kaysday
    kaysday Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I go in the evening after work. I am doing intermittent fasting so I usually workout right before my first meal.
  • ontosinc297
    ontosinc297 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

That's a really good idea. I didn't not think of that. I want to support her so this something I will trial. Thank you.

You bet. It's been a win win for us. We still get to work out together and I get in extra workouts even when I'm not entirely motivated to do it on my own. Keep us posted!