Painful arm, can't extend...should I rest it or will exercise help?

Options
I had a rest day yesterday and went to bed with a slightly sore inner elbow, woke up today and it HURTS! Can't extend my arm fully without extreme pain, I have no idea what I've done wrong! I really wanted to go to the gym today but not sure if I should rest it or try to work it out?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I think I would be giving it a rest to see if it improves, if it doesn't improve over the next couple of days see doctor or physio.
  • abijones75
    abijones75 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I will go to the gym but avoid anything arm related. So annoying though, I'm only 10 days into my gym membership and was starting to get into the swing of it, I don't want to lose momentum :/
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Rest and if this continues for more than a couple of days, go to the dr. Sore muscles are different than pain in joints.
  • davidsnewsham
    davidsnewsham Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Dont work try work it out, based on what you have stated go see a doctor or physio
  • abijones75
    Options
    I dont think its muscle pain, seems to be the tendon running through inner elbow. I went to the gym anyway, seemed fine while I was working out but hurts again now I'm home.
  • ldag0507
    ldag0507 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    abijones75 wrote: »
    I'm thinking I will go to the gym but avoid anything arm related. So annoying though, I'm only 10 days into my gym membership and was starting to get into the swing of it, I don't want to lose momentum :/

Hey there! One of the hardest parts about getting into the groove at the gym is taking time to let your body rest. The best thing you can do for yourself is always listen to it (unless it's just being lazy, then you need to ignore that..haha).
  • LKArgh
    Options
    abijones75 wrote: »
    I dont think its muscle pain, seems to be the tendon running through inner elbow. I went to the gym anyway, seemed fine while I was working out but hurts again now I'm home.
    Then stop completely exercising and go to the dr. If it is a tendon be prepared for several weeks of rest.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen and ice for the pain. what workout did you do the day before the pain? Hard to believe that you have tendonitis after less than two weeks...did you lift something heavy?

I agree you should see a doctor/physio if the pain continues. Keep up your gym workouts...just avoid using the arm for anything strenuous.
  • abijones75
    Options
    I don't know, maybe it is the muscle. It started hurting on a rest day but the day before I did a mixture of cardio, bodyweight core and a few weights (lat machine, 45 deg leg press, seated rows)...nothing major or unusual. I will ice, it's so cold though!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Tendinitis. Not uncommon and it's usually a chronic issue. Just warm up good. Also don't "grip" any weights too hard.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Tendinitis. Not uncommon and it's usually a chronic issue. Just warm up good. Also don't "grip" any weights too hard.

What do you mean by "don't grip any weights too hard"? Do you mean don't yank too hard? I am trying to get a stronger grip with farmers walks and dead hangs. In my case it was my fingers and wrists that felt "pulled". Developing my grip seems to help. But I'm not pulling for PRs. I want to protect those tendons.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    lcuconley wrote: »
    Ibuprofen and ice for the pain. what workout did you do the day before the pain? Hard to believe that you have tendonitis after less than two weeks...did you lift something heavy?

I agree you should see a doctor/physio if the pain continues. Keep up your gym workouts...just avoid using the arm for anything strenuous.

You can get tendonitis from overuse but also from injury. The first time I had tendonitis it was from an injury.
  • jcmj3396
    jcmj3396 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Definitely rest, their is a huge difference between being sore and being in pain when it comes to working out. If you have a personal trainer or massage person at your gym ask there opinion, but if it doesn't improve definitely see a doctor.