low carb diet

Options
Looking for friends That are on the low carb journey such as myself, I need simple meal plans /recipes

Replies

• rnstarr
    rnstarr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've recently started low carb. My job takes me various places daily, so trying to carry items needing refrigeration is difficult. I found Atkins shakes (15g protein, 2 g net carbs & Atkins peanut butter bars 17 g protein, 3 g net carbs) to help alot. I've lost about 10 lbs since the first week of Jan. When I am in my office, or other places, I am sedentary. Then I come home and study for classes. Doesn't help weight loss! If I could just get my husband to understand, it would be 1/2 the battle, since he does the cooking during the week. I'll help anyway I can.
  • Supawmn18
    Supawmn18 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have decided today that I will give the low carb an honest try. I have attempted before but never stuck with it. I will officially start tomorrow because I'm fasting today. I need help too
  • Supawmn18
    Supawmn18 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As far as meal plans. I find a lot of good low carb recipes on Pinterest.
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,145 Member
    Options
    I did the low / no carb diet a couple of years ago. For me, I could lose weight pretty well, but would plateau and not lose any weight for months. Finally had to go to eating regular food, but just cutting down on portion size. Good luck.
  • lindakirchubel
    lindakirchubel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm seven days into the low carb life. I'm being managed by my physician in a medical weight loss program. The program is covered by our health insurance provider and managed by IU Health Arnett, an Indiana healthcare provider. The doctor and nutritionists help individualize to each person's particular situation. She's phenomenal. In the first session we were told that reducing carbs and sugar is key to good health. This means no bread, potatoes, noodles or processed foods which contain loads of carbs and sugar. This also means no "lowfat" or "fat free" foods, because they contain sugar. We are told to reduce our sugar intake to 10-15 tsp per day.

A simple way to calculate sugars from a label is to look at the total carb grams, subtract the total fiber grams, and divide by 5. That gives you how many tsp of sugar are in a product.

It's so weird not having to think about fat intake but we're watching calories plus carbs for the first two weeks. For example I used 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee, but my physician is asking me to replace it with heavy cream which has zero sugar. I am also on a mulivitamin and calcium.

They are taking blood tests as well to ensure our overall heath and so forth. I'm also supposed to be exercising 4 days a week so I'm headed out to get a session in later today in the miserable subzero weather. Good luck everyone, I am glad I found this thread.
  • z85silver
    z85silver Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have lost 11 lbs since the 3rd of January i have quit all alcohol (boy i love my beer) and i also quit all sugar and i have started spinning class and run the neighborhood several times a week . I have also pretty much quit most Carbs. My issue is that although i am loosing weight by beer gut has not budged. I know it's going to take some time i just want to see the inches start to go away.
  • z85silver
    z85silver Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As far as sugar goes i just drink my coffee straight up black it took about 1 week to get used to it now i couldn't imagine my coffee any other way.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I can remember as a child, not being allowed to have very much sugar, it was just unheard of to eat and snack and overdo the sugars or snacks. Somehow we lost our way and it seems we're getting back to the basics, limited carbs and almost no processed foods.