Is exercise an appetite suppressant?

Options
I really was't sure where to post this, But it is KIND OF about exercise.....

As some of you know I HATE (regimented) exercise, prefer physical work (which I do get plenty of)

But I have noticed that if I have a craving that just won't go away.. exercise (in any form) be it get outside and find some physical WORK to do or get on the DREAD-MILL. Seems to make the cravings and hunger go away INSTANTLY. I just can't stand the thought of food when I'm all hot & sweaty.

But I have seen others post that they are STARVING after their work-out.

Just wondering is there some sort of science behind this, or is it just a ME thing??

Replies

• lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    meant to but it in exercise, but general is ok too i guess
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    There's not a yes or no answer. It's different for everyone. Also depends on how you ate throughout the day.

A workout can suppress my appetite, but the day AFTER I lift something very heavy-I'm ravenous.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Me too! I don't get hungry until usually at least an hour after my work out (plenty of time to cool down, shower, etc).

A couple hours later or the next day, however, I'm ravenous. Last winter I took a snowshoe trip up a mountain which included snowshoeing uphill for 2 hours. It was 4 hours total snowshoeing (estimated calorie burn 3500-4000cal). I didn't stop eating for 2 days after that!

I'm also not a huge fan of regimented exercise.... if it's not outside and it's not fun, you kind of have to drag me kicking and screaming. Luckily I live on a 75 acre farm so lots of work to be done.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You know, it always is for me. I'm always surprised when I see people talking about being ravenous after working out, because I never want to eat anything for a couple of hours after a decent workout. But clearly its not the same for everyone, because I do see this pretty regularly.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Right after I am not either.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    There's not a yes or no answer. It's different for everyone. Also depends on how you ate throughout the day.

A workout can suppress my appetite, but the day AFTER I lift something very heavy-I'm ravenous.

Same.

I also find the more that I exercise, the more motivated I am to eat well.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For me it is an appetite suppressant!
  • makaryan11
    makaryan11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It stops hunger for me for at least an hour .
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    It tends to vary by the person and the type of exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Exercise suppresses my desire to emotionally eat for sure. When I get those happy hormones from exercise, I have no desire to seek them from food.

I'm only ravenous when I haven't eaten enough for my activity level.

• lynnstrick01
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    Me too! I don't get hungry until usually at least an hour after my work out (plenty of time to cool down, shower, etc).

A couple hours later or the next day, however, I'm ravenous. Last winter I took a snowshoe trip up a mountain which included snowshoeing uphill for 2 hours. It was 4 hours total snowshoeing (estimated calorie burn 3500-4000cal). I didn't stop eating for 2 days after that!

I'm also not a huge fan of regimented exercise.... if it's not outside and it's not fun, you kind of have to drag me kicking and screaming. Luckily I live on a 75 acre farm so lots of work to be done.

After my own heart... my "farm" isn't nearly that big but still lots of calorie burn taking care of animals, property up-keep, fences, trees.. and on and on... i think most people don't quite get that. Give me a hard 4 to 6 hour day of WORK any day over 2 grueling hours at the gym aka torture chamber
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Depends on the exercise for me. Running usually kills my appetite for a while, swimming will likely make me extra hungry. I almost always end up lifting immediately before a meal (or before beginning to prepare it) and am normally hungry for that meal. If I'm more active overall I tend to also want more calories, but not necessarily immediately after the activity (or in excess of what I need).

When I'm active I also tend to moderate my eating better and to eat what I need without focusing so much on it. I'm more prone to bad eating habits and overeating when I'm less active, but I think that's more because the latter tends to go along with stress, anxiety, or depression.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I usually work out right before dinner. I'm not ravenous after, but I'm definitely able to eat. On the evenings I work out, I typically want a snack a few hours later, so maybe it does make me hungry!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Cardio suppresses my appetite but lifting makes me ravenous.
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    So I guess the answer is that there is no real science behind it, It is just the way our individual bodies react to exercise,

From the input I am getting it seems like it is may be more of a MENTAL reaction than a physical one.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I find I'm stuck in a place where I overeat if I don't exercise and under eat if I do!! You just can't win sometimes haha
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll be the odd ball. I'm super hungry after a workout. I workout in the morning and really need to eat something afterwards or I'm fatigued and nauseous. I'm not a breakfast person normally. I don't eat till almost lunchtime.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I don't have science. Exercise is an appetite suppressant for me because during the time i spend exercising, I'm not shoveling copious quantities of delicious food down my throat. It's extremely effective!
  • lynnstrick01
    Options
    I guess I'll be the odd ball. I'm super hungry after a workout. I workout in the morning and really need to eat something afterwards or I'm fatigued and nauseous. I'm not a breakfast person normally. I don't eat till almost lunchtime.

I know, I hate to eat breakfast, not crazy about lunch either.. used to go all day and never eat a bite till dinner then was STARVING and over ate, (that is why I gained so much weight) (try a smoothie in the am) gives you some fiber and energy without that bloated feeling and helps get the metabolism going earlier in the day. that's what I have been doing it seems to help.