Are suppliments recomended?

Options
Are supplements necessary to reduce muscle loss while trying to lose weight? I have 25-35 lbs to lose, have been doing circuit weights 1-2 times a week and then walking for jogging 2xs a week for a year. I generally feel strong and fit, but am still caring a lot of extra fat. The plan is to to ramp up to 4-5 times a week at a higher intensity and actually stick to my 1200 calories (mostly high protein/low carb since it's something I can stick to and reduces hunger for me). But as my goal is more to reduce body fat in addition to losing "weight" I would like to reduce muscle loss.

It was recommended to do a whey protein/glutamine/ greens+ superfood shake as a snack two times a day and I'm wondering if it is really worth spending money (and calories) on these supplements? I would much rather "eat" almonds, smoked oysters, or boiled eggs then slurp down a gross shake?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    no, they are not necessary.

If your goal is to maintain as much muscle as possible then all you need to do is get 0.64-0.82 grams of protein per lb of body weight and do a full body weight lifting routine 2-3x/week and keep weight loss under 1% of your body weight per week.

This can easily be done with no supplements. However, you can use protein powder for convenience if you want (I do), as there is nothing wrong with that. Protein powder isn't all that special though, as it comes in at ~80% protein by calories compared to chicken breast which comes in at 75% protein by calories.
  • 0305bp
    0305bp Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    no, they are not necessary.
    Protein powder isn't all that special though, as it comes in at ~80% protein by calories compared to chicken breast which comes in at 75% protein by calories.

Thanks, I upped my protein settings a bit. But you nailed it, I would much rather eat chicken then slurp down a shake, and I drink tons of water so don't really need the hydration of a shake.