Carnivores

Options
I see posts from vegans/vegetarians........any Paleo/Primal types out there?

I try to be as much as possible. It is the only diet that makes complete sense to me.......only eat what God put on this eaarth for us to eat: meats, vegetables, fruits , nuts. I try to not drink anything other than water, tea and coffee with the occasional couple of glasses of wine. My diet consists mainly of animals, much of what I kill myself: ducks, deer, dove, pheasant, turkey and since my family ranches, we slaughter a steer every so often.

Anyone follow something similar?

Replies

• phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    Options
    Ooh I would love to but first can I come live by you. I have relatives that still butcher their own. We got out when my grandfather died. Now I only get good beef once a year when they butcher. Otherwise it is just deer, ducks, turkey. Just can't seem to keep enough meat in our house.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Carnivores only eat meat.

You're an omnivore if you eat any vegetation.
  • sbarrett7171
    sbarrett7171 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Carnivores only eat meat.

You're an omnivore if you eat any vegetation.

I'm well aware of that, but my diet consists of a lot more meat than the average american diet. The title of the post was intended to garner the attention of like minded dieters, rather than appealing to 99% of the board population.

But thanks anyway for the clarification.
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    I got some burger in the freezer from a steer that had a bum leg. Since he was too little to get good cuts out of, almost all of it went to the grinder...it is some of the best burger I've ever had! Wish I had an accurate fat % for it to make logging it more accurate, oh well.

And I also enjoy my wild game. Pheasant is awesome. I have decided that anything you can shoot you wrap in jalapeno and bacon and grill it up is pretty much amazing.

Have another steer getting fattened up now, may try to find sometone to trade a half a beef with and get some pork in return.
  • golden1215
    golden1215 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't do full on paleo... unless paleo includes butter, splenda and season salt lol

but I do atkins more or less, which is meat + veggies and cheese. I try the rule of thumb that if I can't explain to my 3 year old in about 5 seconds where something was grown/killed/comes from etc then I shouldn't eat it.
  • sbarrett7171
    Options
    And I also enjoy my wild game. Pheasant is awesome. I have decided that anything you can shoot you wrap in jalapeno and bacon and grill it up is pretty much amazing.

add cream cheese to that as well!!!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I got some burger in the freezer from a steer that had a bum leg. Since he was too little to get good cuts out of, almost all of it went to the grinder...it is some of the best burger I've ever had! Wish I had an accurate fat % for it to make logging it more accurate, oh well.

Have another steer getting fattened up now, may try to find sometone to trade a half a beef with and get some pork in return.

When you take an animal to get processed they charge you by weight before they take all the fat out so they really have no reason to fill your ground beef with fillers and fat. So generally anything that isn't from a super market tends to be relatively lean.
  • sbarrett7171
    Options

When you take an animal to get processed they charge you by weight before they take all the fat out so they really have no reason to fill your ground beef with fillers and fat. So generally anything that isn't from a super market tends to be relatively lean.

It really just depends on how the steer was "finished"....90 days on corn has quite a bit of difference in fat content than 90 days on grass. Excess fat is trimmed, but marbling is what is left in the meat.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

but I do atkins more or less, which is meat + veggies and cheese. I try the rule of thumb that if I can't explain to my 3 year old in about 5 seconds where something was grown/killed/comes from etc then I shouldn't eat it.

That is pretty much my diet. And I LOVE that rule of thumb. I will be using it on my 3 year old. :wink:
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    He was mostly grass fed, I think the dumped some corn in there every once in awhile but I certainly would call him grass finished over corn.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Just broke a 16 hour LeanGains fast with a pound of grassfed beef and an avocado. Been Paleo/Primal for almost 5 months and the results have been ridiculous.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't have a name for the diet I follow, but I try and eat as much meat, fish, chicken, turkey, fruits, veggies, nuts, beans as I can. But I still eat things like bread, yogurt, cereal, cheese, etc.
    99% of the meat is from deer I shoot, some of the fish is from trout I catch. And toss in the occasional turkey that I manage to call in.