How much carbs?

Options
If you're going low-carb, how many grams a day would you recommend.

I'm not cutting it out completely but want to reduce it quite a lot.

Thanks

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    There's no one set answer. Depends on your personal calorie goal, and food preferences.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Some say <150g carbs is getting there, <100g is low-ish carb and then there are the people who do <20g. You might find more help in the MyFitnessPal low carb groups.

Personally, I don't think you need to cut carbs unless you have a medical issue. I eat around 200-300g every day and love it!
  • theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Many people may not realize they DO have medical issues! Not only people with diabetes need to reduce carbs. Also people with prediabetes or 'metabolic syndrom' should eat as if they are diabetic to stave off the full disease. Is your body shape more like an apple than a pear? Are your triglycerides high? Those are some of the symptoms.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Below 150 or 100g of carbs is considered low carb by most. If you go as low as 50 g you will start making ketones as a large portion of your energy (fat oxidation rather than using glucose as the main fuel). If you are aiming for ketosis, many choose to start lower (20g of carbs ) and then increase it from there.

You can use a macro calculator to figure out your macros. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Join us at the Low Carber Daily to find more low carbers, there aren't many on the main boards. Good luck.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    blush2015 wrote: »

Thanks

As many as you can eat while remaining in ketosis.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109601-starting-low-carb
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    theocine wrote: »
    Many people may not realize they DO have medical issues! Not only people with diabetes need to reduce carbs. Also people with prediabetes or 'metabolic syndrom' should eat as if they are diabetic to stave off the full disease. Is your body shape more like an apple than a pear? Are your triglycerides high? Those are some of the symptoms.
    Simply losing weight, no matter how many carbs are eaten while losing weight, will help many of the people you are describing.

Low Carb isn't the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.

There's nothing wrong with low carb if that's the way you want to go but it isn't the One True Way. If the doctor has told you that you need to do it, follow those instructions. Otherwise, find a way of eating that works for you long term.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Simply losing weight, no matter how many carbs are eaten while losing weight, will help many of the people you are describing.

And it also depends on exercise. I've found that I have a lot more energy for walking and running when I eat more carbs.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

of course not. that would be 42
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    eazy__ wrote: »
    blush2015 wrote: »

Thanks

As many as you can eat while remaining in ketosis.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109601-starting-low-carb

Or not in ketosis. ;) most low carbers aren't deeply into ketosis.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

And it also depends on exercise. I've found that I have a lot more energy for walking and running when I eat more carbs.

That generally changes after a few weeks once your body has become accustomed to not relying as heavily on carbs, especially for endurance exercise.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think the type of carb is more important rather than how much. Big difference in carbs from flour, sugar, white rice high fructose corn syrup verses sweet potatoes, beans, veggies and fruit.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    100-150G/day is MODERATE carb.

Most people who are seriously low carb eat more like 20G/day.

The percentage of people who need to be on a lower-carb diet for medical reasons is quite large.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    I try to stay at or around 100 net carbs a day, and 30 grams of fiber. As a type 2 diabetic, this works for me. YMMV...
  • simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

But not all. For some, genetics overrides everything. I think for some, pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome is what causes the weight gain in the first place, not the other way around.

Case in point...

My younger brother, who is slender, is pre-diabetic.

Type 2 diabetes runs in my family (mom's side). My maternal grandmother and ALL SEVEN of her siblings had diabetes. My mom and several of her siblings have it, etc. I believe that I'm heading towards insulin resistance and am working on reducing my carbs to between 50g to 150g.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I consider <50 grams low carb. <20 grams very low carb.