Motivation for Mothers/Fathers... How do you do it?

Options
I know you can just get up everyday and just work out and/or eat healthy, but how do you stay motivated? I am a Sahm and babysit my bff child as well so I am home all day. With limited income I stick to Youtube vids or my Xbox just dance but what makes you actually get up everyday and say I will work out today after dealing with 2+ toddlers and limited sleep. I just want to know how do you do it?? BTW if you do you are awesome for doing so b/c this is hard for me...

Replies

• bbilliethecat
    bbilliethecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i have a 5-year-old, a 3-year-old, and a 4-month-old . my income is also limited as i'm a single stay-at-home mother, but i've learned to work around that . my exercise is walking to faraway playgrounds, walking to zoos/museums/aquariums (i have memberships to all three - it's an investment in my sanity and health lol and after three visits, it pays for itself), or just grabbing a ball and going to the park . location is for the kids, the walk is for me :) i also have just dance, which is more for fun rather than exercise . love the bollywood versions haha .

to actually answer your question, i use a misfit shine to motivate me to get as many steps as possible . i used to have a pedometer, but i liked the simplicity of the shine . oh, and i also bought a couple of dresses two sizes smaller for extra motivation . it helps soooooo much that they're absolutely gorgeous ! :D

also, i am sleep-deprived because i'm a full-time cow lol but i've learned to work on auto-pilot . another year and a half to go and i can retire from being a cow :D

it's currently noon and i already have 10 000 steps from walking to the playground, walking around as i monitor the kids, and then walking back but taking detours to go home the long way .

the hard part is getting out of the house with little ones . i'm not awesome, some days i just don't want to leave . but once i do get up and out, i feel so much better mentally .

good luck, you can do it too . just find what works for you :)
  • janette41209
    janette41209 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Power to you bbilliethecat! That sounds like a lot to do. I appreciate your response. I think I will try to do more park days. See im not from where I live so I don't have anyone to come with me either so I get a little worried about being alone with kids and no one else there. And how do you stay motivated to eat healthy or just refuse any unhealthy foods?
  • retrobeauty
    retrobeauty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also a sahm, I do have a gym membership so that I can get out of the house and have some "me" time. I stay motivated by knowing that by taking care of myself, I can take better care of my little one. Also they see what you do and start copying it. On days when I cannot go to the gym I do youtube videos and my little one has started copying jumping jacks and push ups, which only motivates me more. Dealing with limited sleep, I sometimes nap when my daughter naps or I have a cup of coffee before my workout time.
  • bbilliethecat
    bbilliethecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    if you're worried about the kids' safety, i understand . but if it's because you think it's hard work running around the kids, just see it as more calories you're burning running after them lol or find an indoor place for them to go . libraries are good . google and a lot of things should come up . i google free events because i'm cheap that way haha it's because i'm asian :D

right now i'm breastfeeding and today my eating diary will be a mess because i need to express heaps - getting my tubes tied tomorrow YAY ! :D but on a normal day, i would cut back on carbs . i still eat carbs, but not much . i am also a water addict . i drink soft drinks on special occasions like birthdays and such .

i grew up eating everything on my plate and then later my kids' plates because i didn't want to waste food . DON'T DO THAT . or if you do, STOP . put it in the fridge for next time or just throw it away . or feed the kids first and then eat their leftovers before making anything for yourself . or give the kids their leftovers later .

if i want to eat something, i will eat it . but i believe completely in the saying, 'everything in moderation' . i will have a slice of cake - never seconds, though it's hard . and whatever junk food i eat, i'll wash it down with water . for example, one biscuit will be eaten with one cup of water . makes me feel better and i imagine the water washing away all the fats and sugars as soon as it enters my body haha

once in a long while, i'll go nuts and have a big mac . that's the life hahaha

feel free to add me :) my diary's not up to scratch, but it will be from now on . trying to budge 30-40 more pounds hehe
  • janette41209
    Options
    retrobeauty Lucky!! I wish I had a some me time, that's part of the reason I watch my bffs boy b/c we don't have anyone out here we trust to watch our kiddos. But I think I will try and do some youtube videos as well. I have plenty in my favorites just never actually do them lol.(whoops) How about the healthy eating? how do you do that?
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    my partner has a 19 month old and I honestly find the days we're all just home all day can be really active days for me if I make a point of playing with him all day. the great thing about toddlers is they love to run around and they have so much energy that simply trying to keep up with them is a great way to get in some activity! and taking them to the park or something is always a great idea. as for making/finding more you time, are you able to sneak in a little time by yourself in the morning before getting the kiddos up? or while they're napping? or can you put them to bed early enough that you get a nice evening to yourself after a long day of dealing with toddlers?

I honestly find just wanting to be able to continue to keep up with this kid, and my own future kids, as I get older is fantastic motivation to get and stay healthy. i'm already 30 and don't have kids of my own yet so I'm going to be a slightly older mom so if I want to stay active and involved in my kids' lives, which I very much do, then I need to be in good shape! hope that helps :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My kids are 5 and 7, and I have to say that it was easier before they started elementary school and their extra-curricular activities. I am a working mom, so my situation is not exactly the same. But man, I know it's exhausting being a sahm. I work from 6:30am-4:00pm, then it's homework and kids' activities, dinner at 7:30-8pm, shower and get ready for bed by 9-9:30pm. I work out after that. I just have to make myself do it. Try to find something that works for you, and stick with it. Good luck.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Sahm to 4 here...7,6,4, 1.5 & i watch a 1.5year old as well full time.

Its not a mater of motivation....its a matter of determination. I *WILL* workout. I set a schedule and dont deviate. Currently thats running m/w/f/s and lifting m/w/f. That way i dont feel bad for sitting on my *kitten* on tues/thurs and doing nothing, lol.

Oncr you've followed the schedule for a bit it becomes second nature.

Weather permitting, i put the babies in a double stroller and walk for extra calorie burn
    ...but that hasnt been possible recently b/c of the weather.
  • jonoc87
    jonoc87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have to get up super early to get some gym in before work. Cause if the mrs finds out ive been gyming over helping her out... im dead :D
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    When my kids were toddlers, I used them as part of my workout equipment. We would play choo choo train and I would push them around in laundry baskets. I did leg lifts with them sitting on my legs. Also running around with them and dancing to Elmo's Song gives you a workout and makes nap time easier.
  • wuxitan
    wuxitan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I concentrate more on eating the right foods and just trying to fit in a set amount of activity every day. I live in a temperate climate in a safe neighborhood, so we try to go on 3 20 minute walks a day while pulling my kid in a wagon. Then I try to use my exercise bike, elliptical, or YouTube videos for 4 15 minute intervals throughout the day. My child won't sleep without me, so I'm screwed for naptime. I'm also still nursing so I'm really careful to make sure I eat and stay hydrated. If I don't eat when I'm supposed to I end up starving and binging. I don't really have a set-in-stone weight goal. I just want to be healthier and model better health behavior for my kids. My next goal is to start running twice a week.
  • janette41209
    Options
    :#:# (hiding under cover) Props to you all because with everything you all have going on kids or no kids it is still difficult so I know I am just being lazy... so thank you for reminding me that I just need to get my A** up and just do it and I am not trying to be sarcastic I really do thank you. I do not really have a set weight either I just placed a number that I believe is achievable and been at before as I am trying to get/stay healthy. Of course I would love to reach my goal before the end of this year but I want to stay that way for life not just for now.
    Thanks for all the responses! <3<3<3<3
  • glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would try to get a walk in everyday with the kids. Even if it's just a 10 minute walk or out to the end of the driveway and back (if you have one). I have 4 kids. Only one is under 5 though. But still a challenge for me to do anything for myself. I am also a SAHM and my 8 month old is very high needs. Lol. So clingy and we EBF. He snacks so much throughout the day!

You can also stop and do 20 squats or sit ups or burpees, etc at random times. Or everytime you get a glass of water do some lunges, etc. You can always incorporate exercise during the day! You can totally do it mama!
  • glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You could always try to do toddler yoga!! While you are doing it get the kids to join in as well! :)
  • dennisnguyen
    dennisnguyen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not a SAHM or SAHD, but I am a full time employee and father of 2 children. I have several reasons for me to stay motivated to exercise and eat healthy. First, my family history isn't that great. High blood pressure runs in my family. Luckily, I have not been diagnosed with high blood pressure, but I'm still staying on top of things. My second reason for staying motivated is vanity. It was depressing when I had to keep buying larger size clothing. The fact that I can still buy the same size clothing I wore in high school is very motivating.

I'm able to keep up my progress because of my current lifestyle. When I have a lunch break at work, I noticed that I was only eating for about 10-15 minutes and using the rest of the hour to watch videos on youtube. Instead of wasting this time, I go out for a run at the beginning of my lunch and eat afterwards. I prep my meals the day before or make something quick at work such as oatmeal. Working out at home isn't a problem since my kids enjoy watching their dad lift heavy weights. I think they enjoy watching my drop weights and the noises that the weights make. I can continue to make healthy meals at home because my children genuinely enjoy them. I'm making burgers and pizza, but I'm selective about the toppings and types of meat.

I think I got very lucky. I'm very open with my family about my exercise and eating habits. I notice that when people segregate the weight loss goals from the rest of the family, they get demotivated. Probably because everyone else is enjoying themselves while you are doing something different. I'll admit that I wasn't too confident introducing my diet to the family, but when I did, everything was so much easier. I was even told that they didn't realize that my diet food looked like normal everyday food. I used to either exercise only during my lunch break or after the kids/wife went to sleep, but quickly realized that this takes away too much sleep from me. Decided to suck it up and exercise in front of everyone. The first time I did this, it felt like my daughter was cheering me on during every rep/set. She was clapping after every rep/set. This itself was very motivating.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Working out is my sanity now. When the kids are home, I go to the gym (with baby sitting) and it's been a lifesaver... I get two hours of peace and the kids get out of the house! Otherwise I hop on my stationary bike while watching Netflix (the kids are older now so I can watch more stuff, lol). Or when it's nice out and my husband is home I go for walks.

But yeah now I hate days when I'm not working out. The food is the harder part for me.