What do you do to battle random hunger?

Options
Ok so to start out, I really put my diet into effect as of 12/26; the day after Christmas. So within the last 25 days I have already lost 21.8lbs as of today. Now by no means do I starve myself. I follow my allotted calorie consumption along with multi vitamins everyday. I my macros around 90% of the time. But sometimes I get hungry. To explain a little bit I started at 260lbs with a goal weight of 180. Now I'm not looking to shed the weight in super fast mode, however it has she fed easily. I use an exercise bike for 45 minutes a day. (5 minute warmup, 10 minute medium pace(medium resistance), 2 minutes vigorous(increase with resistance), 10minute medium, 2 minute vigorous, 10 minute medium, 1 minute vigorous, 5 minute cool down). Also the calories the app says is 1680. With the exercise I put in, I only eat half of the calories back)

But my question, when you're hungry what do you do to control it? Sometimes I feel when I drink 2 cups of water that the hunger goes away. Is my body still confusing hunger and thirst? Any input would be great.

Replies

• tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lot to lose? because you are losing almost a pound a day. To battle hunger drinking the water is the best thing to do. I usually try to grab a healthy snack. egg white, cheese stick, carrots/hummus, raw peppers that helps but basically I try to keep busy.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I'll eat a few dried apricots or a forty calorie mini box of raisins.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    You're hungry because you're not eating enough. Losing almost a pound a day IS losing weight in super fast mode. How many calories are you netting per day after exercise?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    People frequently find that they lose a lot of weight in the first month or so, very quickly, and then the loss calms down and slows to a more steady and healthy rate. If you are in the obese BMI or higher, expect to loose quickly initially, then slow down. If you were already fairly small, with less than about 50lbs to lose, it might be a different situation, but this is common if you have 50+ to lose.

I battle random hunger with distraction about 90% of the time, and about 10% of the time with pure white-knuckle effort. Those times are rare that I have to actually willfully power through it. I keep a list of stuff I enjoy doing that eats my brain. You know, the activities that really zonk you out and make you lose track of time. Play a video game, re-read my favorite chapters in books, re-watch my favorite scenes from movies I love (Avengers Assemble!!!). Especially fun is throwing on a couple of youtube Epic Fail videos. There's something cathartic about watching skateboarders wipe out to good music and canned laughter, what can I say?

That's all at home stuff that you couldn't get away with at work. For work, I sip, very very slowly, and repeatedly reheat the same cup of coffee all day. I make it a little too strong and a little not-sweet-enough so I don't chug it, but it's a welcome burst of flavor that distracts my taste-buds from whatever I'm craving at any given moment. That's the same method I used to quit smoking.

End of the day though, make sure what you're doing is avoiding CRAVINGS. You don't want to ignore your body's perfectly normal hunger ques. In fact, it's important you learn everything about those ques to help you keep the weight off later. Too often people gain weight because they eat when they AREN'T really hungry, and eventually you lose the ability to tell the difference between hunger and sadness, or hunger and boredom. Don't deny your body the fuel it requires WHEN it requires it. Make every effort to ask yourself "Am I really hungry? Or is this boredom? Or is this a specific flavor craving I'm having".
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I try water or a cup of hot tea.

Then if I'm still wanting to munch and feel like I'm going to start making bad choices, I reach for a 100 calorie granola bar (thin mint flavored!) or something similar. I figured if I can find a snack for about 100 calories it won't hurt too much.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I walk out the door and go for a walk, run, bike, whatever. get going.
  • zupperman87
    zupperman87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My body fat % was high a over a month ago. I had it measured at my friends clinic but I never wrote down the number. I usually have red/green peppers on the daily to snack on. It's only random times-- not even everyday. Just sometimes I'll be watching TV and I'll just feel hungry. But sometimes it's hard to differ from hunger and thirst. But so far water has seemed to work.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i would be worried about that rapid of weight loss.

really worried, actually.

are you WEIGHING your food on a scale? ALL OF IT?

anyways....

hot tea if i dont have calories to spare. or today i had a big spoonful of peanut butter ;) still within my calories though lol
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Good job on your weight loss so far. Sounds like you're going to do great. I don't have much to add here but I do drink tons of water during the day which tends to helps. The supplements I take curb a Iot of the hunger but if I do need a little something more I eat a piece of fruit or some nuts. Keeping myself busy with chores or exercise and my mind off food helps also. My worse time to snack use to be at night in front of the TV just out of boredom. This is the time I find to crochet or respond to messages.
  • zupperman87
    Options
    Everything I eat is weighed on food scale. So all my foods are logged in grams and etc. For example each component of my dinner like tonight with chuck roast and the veggies that go along with it are all weighed on a dish before I eat. People need to note that I'm not that hungry all the time. It's only maybe 1 time in a week. I feel full majority of the day. My diet is well balanced with veggies, fruits and lean meats. Usually with 45 minutes of exercise bike it adds 500 calories during my workout in which I consume an extra 250 calories. So on most days my total calorie intake on average is about 1950 give or take. I'm rarely hungry. Just want to know about the random hunger strikes that do occur.
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just put chia seeds into my snacks or try to eat something filling or I drink water and that usually helps tame my hunger
  • jrob2and2
    jrob2and2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me it's hot green tea. It works majority of the time, the other small percentage of time it's just willpower or staying active until meal time.
  • AilishMulholland183
    Options
    8/10 your body is actually thirsty rather than hungry everyone just relates to it as hunger pains. I usually keep drinking water regularly. Either that or have a banana It’s loaded with resistant starch (RS), a healthy carb that fills you up and helps to boost your metabolism and helps to fight the cravings!
  • zupperman87
    Options
    Yeah, as of anytime I felt hungry I have filled that void with 1-2 glasses of water. That was an issue of mine before I started watching calories. I would just eat when bored because I thought I was.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    The company nutritionist I used to see prescribed the "hunger rating" philosophy to creating a balanced nutrition plan... spend some time evaluating your hunger patterns... and rate your hunger from 1-10... 1 being so hungry your thinking of tryin gto find a table somewhere to see if there's some gum there... to 10 being so full you run (waddle) away in fear if you see someone with a sharp object. the idea find the median... +/_ 2 points in either direction... eat when you dip as low as 2 or 3... and stop eating when you hit 8+...the guiding principle is that by keeping a balance.. you are less prone to binging when you are overly hungry... and less likely to overeat... or eat out of boredom... the focus being literally asking yourself... "am I hungry?; how hungry am I? Some key points...

balance... get your macros in order.. if you think or feel a craving for certain foods.. chances are your macros are out of whack... review your eating habits the previous couple of days and see where the craving is coming from... find a vitamin D supplement... ( you can research the benefits yourself); drink lots of water... eat a well balanced breakfast. start the day with protein... protein takes longer to digest and will keep you full for longer... eat 5 times/day... and be choosey... you want to make sure what you eat is nutrient dense... as an example... you can eat 20 grams of cashews... or 20 grams of almonds... once again I invite you to compare the nutrient and macro values of these two "nuts"

The great thing is YOU are looking for knowledge... stay on track... and remember... losing weight quickly WILL leave you with excess skin... which is cool if you are a sharpei ,or blood hound... not so cool if you are a human... thankfully us Emu's have feathers covering our skin... so lose saggy skin isn't an issue for me :P

• guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I read a tip on this site once that every time you get hungry, drink 8 ounces of water and see if youre still hungry. It REALLY helps me, especially at my desk job where its so easy to mindlessly eat.
  • senecan
    senecan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wintergreen snuff, diet soda. Water. Watch motivational videos
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Ok so to start out, I really put my diet into effect as of 12/26; the day after Christmas. So within the last 25 days I have already lost 21.8lbs as of today. Now by no means do I starve myself. I follow my allotted calorie consumption along with multi vitamins everyday. I my macros around 90% of the time. But sometimes I get hungry. To explain a little bit I started at 260lbs with a goal weight of 180. Now I'm not looking to shed the weight in super fast mode, however it has she fed easily. I use an exercise bike for 45 minutes a day. (5 minute warmup, 10 minute medium pace(medium resistance), 2 minutes vigorous(increase with resistance), 10minute medium, 2 minute vigorous, 10 minute medium, 1 minute vigorous, 5 minute cool down). Also the calories the app says is 1680. With the exercise I put in, I only eat half of the calories back)

But my question, when you're hungry what do you do to control it? Sometimes I feel when I drink 2 cups of water that the hunger goes away. Is my body still confusing hunger and thirst? Any input would be great.

Do you track sugar? You can try this: for three days, reduce your sugar intake to 15g or less. Exclude fruit and fructose from your diet for those days. Fructose stimulates your appetite.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Seconded drinking water increases your exercise too you have to pee so you get up and find all the bathrooms on your floor are occupied and then you do the pee walk of desperation until u find one empty
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Pee walk of desperation is At least 100 steps for me