Hungar pangs

Options
I have only been on this diet for a week now and I am finding that I get quite hungry in between meals. What does everyone else do to stop this.

Replies

• lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I exercise to get the extra calories I want. That's all I can recommend I'm afraid.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The most important thing you can do to help diminish them is to ensure your calorie goal is appropriate. Many people sign up and pick 2 pounds per week, but 1 pound per week is more appropriate.

Protein helps keep me full. I combine that with vegetables (fiber) and it helps reduce how quickly I get hungry. I also plan small snacks for between meals if needed.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Once you get good at calorie counting, you might find it better to spread out your intake throughout the day. Are you having three meals of 400 cal a piece? Maybe that doesn't work for you. Some people never sit down and eat a stereotypical meal, they just snack and graze all day. Others find one meal with all or most of their caloric intake per day is best. If you're feeling actual physical pain in your stomach, chances are you need to trade in high-calorie unfilling food for lower-calorie filling food, as usmcmp suggested, or if you already have, consider spreading it out throughout the day so the times between meals aren't vast and difficult to bear.
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The most important thing you can do to help diminish them is to ensure your calorie goal is appropriate. Many people sign up and pick 2 pounds per week, but 1 pound per week is more appropriate.

Protein helps keep me full. I combine that with vegetables (fiber) and it helps reduce how quickly I get hungry. I also plan small snacks for between meals if needed.

And so much all of this.
  • mgodfrey0202
    mgodfrey0202 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Because I know I will go on a binge mode once I'm fed up with hunger pang, I usually don't wait till I get hungry, meaning, I spread out my calories throughout the day into 4 meals (300-400 kcal or so) plus snack if I feel like I need something in between. Also, although my "goal" is set to 1200 total, I normally plan to eat 1400-1700 (sometimes more) then do exercise. I know that 1200 is way too low to satisfy my appetite and will lead to hunger then binge. I eat what I want to eat but in moderation. Heck, even a cupcake if I really crave for it, but I split one with my husband. :smile:
    Also, oatmeal became a staple in my diet because it provides protein and lots of fiber that sustain me for much longer than other refined carbs.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 smaller meals daily. I weigh my food and prepare ahead of time.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I had that issue when I started. I started having a hard boiled egg for a snack between breakfast and lunch and had another snack between lunch and dinner. After a month or so the mid morning snack was no longer needed and now I am having the mid afternoon snack less and less often.

There were also times when I just had to push through it. I had a conversation with myself one day and said. Well this is just another kind of pain. You are a martial artist, about to be a black belt. You know how to handle pain and keep going. So just look at it as just another joint lock. It may hurt for a while but there is no real danger so just keep going." Eventually my body adjusted and stopped telling me it was being starved.

I still get hungry a little before lunch at work, but it is much less demanding and easier to ignore.

• kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like to eat snacks in between meals like nuts, mandarin oranges, banana , and thus really helps me. I also drink a lot of water, and I noticed sometimes when I think I am hungry I am actually just thirsty!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks throughout the day. Plus I drink plenty of water. I found that being hydrated has helped me to maintain my calorie goal.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I like to have "tea time" with a nice herbal or caffeine free tea- I can not handle too much caffeine- I might also eat a few raw veggies with light ranch dressing or a small piece of fruit- the hot cup of tea makes it special and not too many calories. I sweeten with stevia so this helps me- at night or when i need to 'snack"
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I typed out this book of a response and then realized it was in the wrong thread. :D Hunger pangs... High protein or high fiber snacks. Drink more water. That's all I got. Sorry I'm completely lame tonight. Lol
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have not had hunger pangs since I started eating differently. I do eat a lot of raw veggies, sometimes in a salad or sometimes as a side. This allows me to be full and still have calories left over. You can check my diary if you like to see what a typical day is like for me.
  • onicaodelle
    onicaodelle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Home made veggie soup. Hot broth and leafy greens are a fair cheat, that add nutrition too. No oil. Just water, season cubes, and greens.
  • Justmj77
    Justmj77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate. The first weeks of my diet I was horribly grumpy with my family. I found myself getting very angry over nothing. I was kinda mortified when I realized it was due to hunger! Drinking 6-8 cups of water a day really helps me, and eating planned snacks between meals. Also, cutting my snacks into smaller pieces so it takes me longer to eat them helps.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Once you get good at calorie counting, you might find it better to spread out your intake throughout the day. Are you having three meals of 400 cal a piece? Maybe that doesn't work for you. Some people never sit down and eat a stereotypical meal, they just snack and graze all day. Others find one meal with all or most of their caloric intake per day is best. If you're feeling actual physical pain in your stomach, chances are you need to trade in high-calorie unfilling food for lower-calorie filling food, as usmcmp suggested, or if you already have, consider spreading it out throughout the day so the times between meals aren't vast and difficult to bear.
    usmcmp wrote: »

And so much all of this.

+1. Find what works for you. For me waiting until later in the day to eat works because once I do eat I feel hungry every few hours. So I stick with coffee for awhile, then spread my calories out into 5 meals. OTOH some people are happier eating a big meal and they stay full for a long time.