Orthotics....Sole Supports

Exciting topic here but I am in need of custom orthotics for both fitness as well as daily wear. Does anybody have any experience with Sole Supports custom orthotics? My chiro is one of their providers and swears by them (what provider wouldn't) but also showed me his pair straight from his shoe and they showed very little wear for being 3 years old with "regular" wear.

Reviews online are all over the place and just wanted to see if there are others out there. If not Sole Support, any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Keller459 wrote: »
    Exciting topic here but I am in need of custom orthotics for both fitness as well as daily wear. Does anybody have any experience with Sole Supports custom orthotics? My chiro is one of their providers and swears by them (what provider wouldn't) but also showed me his pair straight from his shoe and they showed very little wear for being 3 years old with "regular" wear.

Reviews online are all over the place and just wanted to see if there are others out there. If not Sole Support, any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I'd find a store and purchase them from a qualified person that deals with them on a daily basis. A foot doctor can recommend the best ones for your feet and order them for you or have them special ordered. A good way to really get them custom fit is to actually get them custom fit. They have a box you press one foot down into then the other. It's a type of foam that keep the shape of your foot and that's how they know where your pressure points and problem areas are on your particular feet. There's a bit more to it than just that but just to give you an idea..

Without them being done up especially for you individually they aren't going to be that much different than ones you buy in the store that are pretty generic.

3 years is a VERY long time to use the same pair of orthopedics, like you said, he sells them so you have to take it all with a grain of salt. Insurance pays for one pair of shoes and 3 pairs of orthopedic inserts for me each year. By 4 months you can tell there's some wear on certain pressure areas and I can definitely feel it.
    Good luck finding some that work for you :)
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    I'm not familiar with that brand although I did at one time purchase some from a store specializing in orthotics. They worked for awhile, but much of the work is done by the shoe. I know my daughter in law went to Run On-a running shoe specialty store. She's on her feet quite a bit and they guarantee to fit you so well that you can return the shoes at any time if they hurt. It's not cheap at $100+ a pair, but if I can get bills paid off I may try that. As a teacher I'm on my feet so much. It's really stressful on my system.
  • Keller459
    Keller459 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you both. Sole Supports also uses the boxed foam mold strategy. I am in the beginning phase of my research as I know that they are pricey. Thanks again.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Superfeet may work for you. My custom insoles are pretty similar to my Superfeet insoles.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Does your insurance cover the orthotics? Mine are from a company called STJ. I haven't had to deal with them directly, b/c my RX was submitted through my dr. My orthotics work well though.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Once upon a time, the foot doctor always sold you orthotics. My understanding is that off-the-shelf is as good now. I have Superfeet (available at running stores everywhere) in all my shoes. They work great for me, at about $30 a pair.
  • Keller459
    Keller459 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2016
    Unfortunately my insurance won't cover them which has caused me to intensify my research prior to dropping what could be a lot of money on some. I have received several suggestions, including those above, to look at Superfeet so I am going to look into that. Another added bonus is that Schuler Shoes offers Free Feet Evaluations by a on-staff Pedorthist in their stores. They offer a wide array of different OTC orthotics options so I am going to give it a whirl.

Thanks to everybody for the recommendations and I will try and update this post with my findings if people are interested. Thanks again.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    I wear two different ones. In my athletic shoes, I wear a SOLE insert. Makes a world of difference in my high impact, heavy cardio workouts: https://secure.yoursole.com/us/womens/footbeds/softec-response/

For my everyday shoes, I wear a Birkenstock insert. It's so important to have that support the whole day when you are wearing shoes, not just when working out. This one has lasted FOREVER: http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/Insoles/Insoles/Blue_Footbed_for_Casual_Shoes.cfm/prod5.AA009/

I had very very VERY painful plantar fasciitis. These inserts, along with a cortisone shot, seriously fixed the problem.