When trying to lose weight, what do you usually do at the gym?

Options
Im F/5'3/155 lbs and I currently walk on the treadmill for about 40 min, Run for 20, and sometimes go on the stair master. Ill also do those hip exercises, leg presses, and sit ups. Just looking for other ideas, thanks!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is done with a calorie deficit, exercise is health.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't use the gym for weight loss. Weight loss depends a lot more on how much you're eating, you can not out exercise a "bad" diet.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would sometimes do cardio so I could eat more when I used the NEAT method. Otherwise, I just controlled all weight loss through calorie deficit alone.

I lift heavy weights for strength and body composition results.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, exercise for health, kitchen for weight loss.

With that being said, I typically spend 20-30 minutes on the elliptical and 30-60 minutes doing progressive weight lifting. The weight lifting has probably the most beneficial in transforming how my body looks.
  • kisamekick
    kisamekick Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Cross-trainer is literally all I go on. I love it :smiley:
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I do triathlons, so it's all swim, bike, run. My swims are usually sets of 100 with a set amount of rest. Runs are either constant pace or sets of 2 to 15 minutes run plus 1 min walk, repeated.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help, but I'm not quite sure why I'm at the gym to begin with.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just tend to run on the treadmill for 30 mins. 10 minutes of warming up walking on an incline beforehand. Once or twice a week, I'll also incorporate some weights into the mix after I'm done running.
  • maea5040
    maea5040 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    As others have stated, exercise for health, kitchen for weight loss.

With that being said, I typically spend 20-30 minutes on the elliptical and 30-60 minutes doing progressive weight lifting. The weight lifting has probably the most beneficial in transforming how my body looks.

Im also eating well, but Im also working out, and Im hoping to get better at weight lifting. :)
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    10 Rowing Machines
    22 Treadmill (up till 3.9)
    10 Sit-ups, weight training

I get 4-5 45-minute workout, but I probably 2-3 20-minute workout. I'll be happy if I were 20 minute but I tend 25-minute or 30-minute workout.

I occasionally do 50-minute yoga!
  • shelbygracestafford
    Options
    Not a fan of the gym at the moment or even doing 30 minutes of strength training, find it boring. Instead, I run up two flights of stairs several times a day and do body weight exercises at the top or bottom, targeting different body parts. I run up and down the stairs at least 30 flights a day. And cardio on the treadmill, sometimes with light weights.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cardio
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Generally i run for cardio. Usually 3-4miles
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i work my rump muscles.
  • startthriving
    startthriving Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Circuit training and proper nutrition plus adding supplements!
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I usually do 45 minutes on a stationary bike and fifteen minutes walking on the treadmill. My goal is small, to burn between 250 and 300 calories per workout.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight then you need a calorie deficit...
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Like many of the others said, calorie deficit = fat loss, exercise = build lean body mass and health. It works.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    While I am on the elliptical at the gym I think about how much easier it is to do now that I have lost weight by eating at a calorie deficit.
  • nicoleaprilhardcastle
    Options
    Tried rowing for the first time tonight, that was fun!