Zero Sugar Diet

Options
JaydeSkye
JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
I'm contemplating starting a zero sugar diet ... or at least as close to zero sugar as humanly possible. I'm pretty good with nutrition, but I don't know if I could wake up every morning and chew on a piece of chicken for breakfast, lol.

My body looks pretty good, but its not quite perfected the way I'd like it. I know I'm not "fat" but I don't have the stomach I really want either. I guess I'm down to the last of my weight and now its the hardest part. I've joined a gym over the last two months and I've seen a great improvement compared to just working out at home. I'm just looking to tone up my inner thighs a little bit more and lose the rest of the belly fat I have covering my abs.

One of the women in my gym (who looks AMAZING) suggested I eliminate sugar from my diet and that would help me lose the rest of what I'm trying to lose. Does anyone follow such a diet? What do you eat? What have your experiences been with no sugar diets?

Replies

• SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    When you say "Sugar" do you mean Refined Sugar or ALL sugar in general?
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    That woman is wrong, assuming you aren't insulin resistant.

Re-calculate maintenance and subsequently re-calculate your deficit. Balance macros accordingly, specifically making sure you get in enough protein, and train hard (weight training 3-5x per week, cardio where you can fit it in).

Reducing sugar by itself is not the solution. Period.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Carbohydrates are converted to sugar in the body so do you mean a low carb diet? I'm doing Atkins if you wish to add me.:)
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling?
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I eat low sugar, meaning as little as humanly possible. I am generally under 7g-10g/day. This is sugar from ALL sources.

No adverse side effects, I feel great. But its not for everybody. I would consult with your doctor. :smile:
  • inafit16177
    Options
    Bump...I know sugar (refined) is bad news...It is a struggle...Interested to see what others have to say:smile:
  • Kassondrab
    Options
    I've tried a no sugar added diet before. I lasted about 2 months. I found that fruit really helps when having a sugar craving but be careful not to overload on them. Stick to low sugar content fruits like berries and pineapple and mangoes, they make good breakfast. Stevia is a good replacement, but i even stayed away from that when i wasn't doing sugar. I did lose about 10 pounds on the diet but i gained most of it back so, if you plan to do it stick to the diet as sort of a lifestyle.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yes, I meant all sugar in general. That's why I said "as close to zero as humanly possible" because I know I will still be eatting certain complex-carbs to get through my workouts. I've tried carb cycling.. I'm not sure I did it correctly though because I didn't notice any significant results.

I already eat clean. I only drink water, very small amounts of milk sprinkled in and a few sugar-free packets to flavor my water here and there. I do not drink any soda, coffee, alcohol, etc. I eat mainly protein and complex carbs, with low fat. I was just looking to make a change in my diet.. and eliminate the sugars, as I already stated.

My workouts are pretty intense. I run, I do strength training classes, cardio classes and cycling. In addition I am a very active person and I surf, wakeboard and do other physical activities/sports. The problem isn't that I'm not working out. The problem might be that I'm not specifically targeting my abs? Or maybe I need to do more cardio?

I just thought I would explore a zero sugar diet and also see if anyone else has already tried it, or follows it.

I appreciate all of your feedback already! Thank you!
  • Q9S7
    Q9S7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ 'mynameisuntz' post with exception to his first comment ("that woman is wrong"). The woman who looks amazing is in all probability suggesting you reduce your sugar intake to as low a level as possible. Obviously, humans do need sugar. For example, although I eat a weekly average of 3K calories/day, my sugar intake for today I believe is around 17g.

I also agree w/carbohydrate cycling as it has worked for me when I wanted to shed a pound or two to appear more lean.

In my opinion a diet LOW in processed sugar is beneficial to your average adult, and perhaps more beneficial to those of us that are athletes/fitness enthusiasts/professionals.

Best of luck with your goals!!!