the #1 thing for success

Options
...at anything in life: delayed gratification. This applies really well to weight loss and getting in better health. Yet we didn't all start out being good at this. What helped you guys get better at it?

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    To quote Carl Rogers: "The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change." :)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Realistic expectations for me came from education. As I studied how successful people got there, I discovered a slower consistent pace. Also shifting the focus of what was gratifying. Significant changes in blood test results, strength, as well as scale measurements are visually delayed. There are daily goals, steps, staying within a calorie range, getting enough protein or other macro, micro nutrient goals even just honestly tracking are achievable daily goals. Success breeds success.
  • muccica07
    muccica07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I break down my goals into much smaller steps. Otherwise I get impatient and defeated
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Learning about nutrition and a food scale.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I lowered my expectations, got rid of my "all or nothing" attitude and learned there is no instant gratification in weight loss (AKA, have patience).
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Realistic expectations.
    Being consistent.
    Educating myself on weight loss.
    Eating and exercising in a way that is sustainable for me.
    Not comparing myself and my progress to others progress.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Realising that this wasn't a temporary thing, and that I needed a new "normal".
    Not envisioning an end date.
    Repositioning my self worth to be separated from my perceived physical appearance.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've always been good at it in many other aspects of life, so I asked myself why I couldn't do the same with weight loss. Part of it was in those other areas I believed it would work, for some reason with weight loss I'd convinced myself it would not. Realizing that was silly and -- even more importantly -- redefining the goal as about things I KNEW I could achieve (eating in a healthful way, being more fit through specific, reasonable workout goals) was helpful.

Beyond that, as with other goals that involved delayed gratification and hard work, I made sure to crystalize, make specific, what I was working for and map out a plan with results that I could visualize. For me this did involve some weight loss goals (I know that can be counterproductive for some), but also other goals I had more control over. For example, I planned that in 6 months I'd run a particular race or do a particular bike ride and be around a particular amount down. Doing that and being able to peg it to a specific date in the future made it seem more real, and I also thought about what I wanted to be doing and the kind of lifestyle I wanted (with specific healthy habits I was working on) -- for me that helped it seem real and concrete, not some vague future thing that might happen eventually.

It also helped that as I get older longer time periods like 3 months or 6 months or even a year seem to fly by, and that I didn't think of the goal as getting all the weight off but in smaller chunks (by X I could be 20 lbs down!). And once that started happening that in itself kept me going.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Being less focused on the bathroom scale and more focused on the food scale and logging.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Believing in myself, loving myself no matter what, and wanting a better me to love.

(I am not extremely competitive with others, nor do I work (35+ years) in a multi person environment where a persons success is often rewarded, therefore I am extremely self directed, and nearly all my success' are personal.

I think, for me, not expecting external reassurance during my weight loss, but relying on my own determination led to my success losing weight.)

Cheers, h.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Learning not to panic. There is time. Chill. And keep at it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I committed to logging every day. Since I hate being in the red, it's rare that I go over.
  • PamOliva
    PamOliva Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    proudseal wrote: »
    ...at anything in life: delayed gratification. This applies really well to weight loss and getting in better health. Yet we didn't all start out being good at this. What helped you guys get better at it?

Agree about delayed gratification and "planning" some indulgences 2-3 times a week. That works for me.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I'm just good at this because I'm good at everything. Next question. :#