Weight Training Calorie Credit

Options
Is there a way to log the calories burned for weight training in MFP? I'd like to get credit for one hour of weight training every two days but I don't see anywhere that allows a person to enter calories burned for weight training. You only get calorie credit for cardio. Does anyone know?

Replies

• heather0renae
    heather0renae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can add from under cardiovascular, then go to strength training. I have no idea how accurate it is though.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I don't bother. It doesn't burn enough for it to make a difference for me.
  • KCEngr
    KCEngr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Go under cardio. Use weight lifting (light effort). Seems to be fairly accurate.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I don't bother. It doesn't burn enough for it to make a difference for me.

It may not make a difference to you but that's not what the OP asked. That is all I do, my cardio is only 15 to 20 minutes so if I don't log strength training, which I do for one hour, it looks like I don't exercise at all.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    You can log the amount of time for "strength training" under the Cardiovascular section to get an estimate for Calories burned. You can use the Strength Training section to log sets, reps, and weights, but that section does not account for the amount of time or Calories burned.

Add "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" to Cardiovascular to get estimated Calories burned added to your Diary. Please note that the Calories burned for Cardiovascular exercises provided by MFP are based on published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs), which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual. If desired, add individual strength training exercises, such as "Biceps Curl," to Strength Training to have a log of sets, reps, and weights as individual exercises.

Please see these articles, and search for other helpful articles on the MFP Help pages...

myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-

myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/455842-exercise-diary-and-exercise-database/articles

btl8652brnow.jpg
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    A question about this. Do you include rest time in the time for weight lifting, or only active lifting time?
  • Br3ntG
    Br3ntG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was logging exercise but found I was eating back the calories and was slowing my progress down, so I don't bother with it anymore. If you want to though, the advice provided by others here is good (log as Strength Training).
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    A question about this. Do you include rest time in the time for weight lifting, or only active lifting time?

I would subtract out the rest time. The METs values in the Compendium and MFP include your BMR, so if you don't want to go to the trouble of subtracting out the amount of Calories you burn from your BMR, it is better to reduce the amount of time logged. This is one of the reasons why some people recommend to eat back only about 50-75% of the estimated Calories if you log the entire amount of time.