Reverse diet

Options
Can someone explain to me what is a reverse diet and what it is supposed to do?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    After cutting at a deficit for awhile, you might want to switch to maintenance, or even bulk up. In either case you want to very slowly increase calories such that your body doesn't go into "Hoarding - fat storage" mode. Basically you want to trick your metabolism.
  • GirlWithCookies
    GirlWithCookies Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    "Reverse dieting involves a controlled, gradual increase in total daily calorie intake with the purpose of increasing metabolic rate and health." (From this article http://www.muscleforlife.com/reverse-diet/) I also thought it meant eating more calories combined with strength training to build muscle.
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Girl with cookies is right. It's slowly increasing caloric intake. A friend of mine does it as she heads into the bulking phase of her training. She is a bikini competition competitor, and while she is working on gaining muscle mass before she cuts her weight back down, she does a reverse diet to keep her body fed enough while it builds that muscle.
  • ivyylam333
    ivyylam333 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So basically reverse dieting is eating more and gaining weight then cut when u get to a certain body fat/weight then start lifting/ weight training? Or am I still off??
  • ivyylam333
    ivyylam333 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    But still eating clean just intake your calories?
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Read the link that is posted. You increase by small increments of 100-150 every 7-10 days until you reach your TDEE, meaning no longer in a deficit. I'd recommend keeping it clean, just a good habit to have.
  • lylzzf3841
    lylzzf3841 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you can find some guidance on YouTube. Basically the goal is to slowly "repair" ur metabolism after a long term of cutting calories while maintaining ur weight and body fat percentage. I recommend you checkout layne Nortons YouTube channel or blog. It has some really good info on flexible dieting