Why do I lose weight slower when....

Options
I always seem to lose weight slower when I work out then when I don't. I know people saw I'm toning up but the number has to change too. I just want a logical reasoning to feel better about the progression.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Because muscles that have been exercised to strain retain water in order to heal.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Because muscles that have been exercised to strain retain water in order to heal.

Which is why we all have to drink plenty of water.
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Also sometimes if you work out you might tend to eat a little more just because your body has worked harder. Not necessarily a bad thing because you're burning more but I know I have to be more aware after a workout so it's not too much!
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Also the scale could be losing muscle and fat equally vs when you workout.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle, and gaining appetite! :)
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Water thing, yes. Our muscles use it to heal, drink lots to help avoid the bloat. Becca is right, I get hungrier on weight training days so tend to snack more. It's the nature of the beast, lol
  • Dasha81
    Dasha81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

This! ^^^^ Happens every time I start a new exercise routine/regiment.
  • olganto
    olganto Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    muscles weight more than fat!! its better to look lean, toned and firm than to be saggy but with less kilos.
  • tojohn71
    tojohn71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are working hard and watching the types of food you eat pre and post workout you will lose. If you do not eat enough of the right foods and have too much deficit then your body hoards fat to keep you from starving. Eat whole foods. Eat good foods. Stay away from processed and junk foods. The scale is not your friend when you start ti work out high intensity. But your jean size is! You clothes fit better, you feel better and soon the pounds start to come off. Patience. My Fitness Pal has a chart that tells you daily and weekly what your protein, carb and fats are for the day and week. Watch that. Make sure you get enough protein. I struggle with that. I have to add a protein drink on high workout days.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    tojohn71 wrote: »
    If you are working hard and watching the types of food you eat pre and post workout you will lose. If you do not eat enough of the right foods and have too much deficit then your body hoards fat to keep you from starving. Eat whole foods. Eat good foods. Stay away from processed and junk foods. The scale is not your friend when you start ti work out high intensity. But your jean size is! You clothes fit better, you feel better and soon the pounds start to come off. Patience. My Fitness Pal has a chart that tells you daily and weekly what your protein, carb and fats are for the day and week. Watch that. Make sure you get enough protein. I struggle with that. I have to add a protein drink on high workout days.

I'd love to see your source for the bolded statement. The body "hoarding fat" while in a caloric deficit because you're not eating the "right" foods is a completely untrue assertion. If you're in a deficit, there is no net fat storage regardless of the content and/or macro composition of your diet. Do a Google search for "Twinkie Diet" to see how incorrect this is.

To the OP - as others have said, your body retains water/glycogen to assist in repairing the muscles. The water retention can mask weight/fat loss, but is temporary.