Sugar addiction

Options
hey everyone! I'm currently trying to go from 78 kilos to 70. I'm very active and do a solid hour of exercise everyday but my only downfall is that I can't help myself from eating processed sugar! chocolate is my biggest weakness :( can anyone please give me some tips to control my bad habits?

Replies

• MissT895
    MissT895 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Cut down slowly. I was having at least 6 coffees a day with 2 teaspoons of sugar and Coke. I was addicted. I cut it back every week until I no longer craved it. It's hard, I'm not going to lie those headaches that come along for a few days is just your body withdrawing. Goodluck, eventually u will pick up a can of coke and want to throw up because it hurt your stomach like it did for me.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with chocolate. Work it into your daily calories.

Nothing wrong with diet coke or other diet soft drinks either (the full strength stuff is too sweet for me but if you like it, again, work it into your calories).

It's about moderation, not deprivation.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    are you eating sugar over and above your calorie allowance

if you look at your diet as a whole are you meeting your nutritional requirements and hitting your defecit

if you are then however much chocolate or candy you can work in is fine and dandy

if you aren't then perhaps the whole if I'm going to eat this piece of chocolate I'm going to have to give up that meal later today and I'll be so hungry mentality might help

or if that wouldn't work for you to manage moderate approach then you may have to eliminate for a while until you can reintroduce in moderation
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Gotta do Low Carb. Keep to under 100 grams/day! All be fine!!
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have never been much of a chocolate eater, so not sure if this will be helpful or not, but can you try to substitute your chocolate with fruit. you can eat a whole lot of watermelon for instance with a whole lot less calories than a milkyway. it is still sweet but not as calorie dense
  • FabianMommy
    FabianMommy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain because I am the same. I wish I could have a little chocolate but sadly, having even a little sugar has a very bad effect on me and I end up eating too much of it quickly. You might be fine having a little working it into your calories, I cut it out altogether and found that was better for me, whatever works.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Buy dark 75% chocolate !!!! Let it sit in your mouth and enjoy. Mine is only 50 calories a square.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Are you meeting your calorie and nutrient goals? When factoring the chocolate into your daily calorie goals, do you feel satisfied with the calories you have left for the rest of the day? Are you able to feel satisfied off one square of chocolate, or do you feel like you start to binge after that one square?

Personally, I found making my trouble foods a pain-in-the-butt to get to and having "healthier" alternatives visible to be beneficial. I might keep a box of chocolate in the very back of the pantry/fridge and have a ton of vegetable/fruit bags in front of it (do I really want to move all that stuff out of the fridge just to get a few pieces of chocolate?), or I might not keep any chocolate at all in the house (and have to go to the grocery store to get a box). Could you get a bag of those mini chocolate squares, freeze the entire bag, and only take a few pieces out each morning to defrost for that evening?

I'm going to be a big meanie by saying this, but it's ultimately up to you to control your "sugar addiction". We can't follow you everywhere and slap food out of your hands, but you can identify which foods are problems, assess whether you can portion control them (while meeting your calorie and nutrient goals), and decide whether the food is ultimately worth keeping in the house.
  • xveer22
    xveer22 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Overall I try to eat less sweet, but that's not always as tasty. Therefore I've switched sugar for other natural sweeters, such as honey, dates and bananas. Works very good for me!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Liking chocolate a lot and lacking the willpower to resist it is NOT an addiction to sugar.

That said, you can have chocolate and still lose weight. Just count your calories and eat fewer than you burn.
  • hltucker
    hltucker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try eating some protein when you are craving sweets, or some protein with some natural sugar. Like yogurt with fresh berries. Also, if I am craving chocolate, sometimes I will make myself a protein shake instead, and that seems to do it for me. I like the BSN Syntha-6 protein. The vanilla milkshake and chocolate cake batter flavors are my fave! Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    natswagg wrote: »
    I can't help myself from eating processed sugar! chocolate is my biggest weakness :( can anyone please give me some tips to control my bad habits?

First, do you actually crave "processed sugar"? Or do you enjoy eating certain sweet treats and sometimes feel out of control in that you eat them when planning not to or eat more than you intended? For most of us it is the latter.

I think for many of us it can actually help to lose the black and white thinking and not tell ourselves we need to not have any (and should stop liking these foods) -- I think that can contribute to a feeling of loss of control, as once we eat any we think "oh, well, I've ruined it, might as well go nuts and start again tomorrow." Also, this often goes along with trying to eat a very restrictive diet (either in food options or calories) and that can make temptation harder to resist.

Beyond that, I think people need to think about the circumstances when they crave or overeat these foods, the specific habits and associations involved. For me, I would eat mindlessly at work (often sweets, because those would be around, but not only), and that's because I'd developed a habit (in part to deal with stress, in part to wake myself up). I decided to change that habit and eat only at planned mealtimes. I made sure my meals were filling and tasty (plenty of protein and not "diet" food), and if I wanted to eat in-between I reminded myself that I'd be eating again soon enough and wasn't really hungry and sometimes forced myself to think about why I really wanted to eat (exercise also helps in getting the mind off it, if possible, or just going for a walk or doing something else). At first I also allowed myself to munch on low calorie foods (basically, raw vegetables) when I felt that urge to eat. Very quickly the urge to eat between meals went away.

At first I'd also cut out added sugar because I knew I was using it some for self-comfort and wanted to break that dysfunctional behavior and teach myself I didn't need it. I quickly realized that my pattern was really eating for comfort, less about the specific foods, and now try to avoid that (which is largely done by having a regular pattern of eating). I find I can include some sweets in my day (high quality chocolate or ice cream, often, sometimes I have cheese instead of something sweet) without feeling out of control. It's easiest to do this right after a meal when I'm not hungry, and I usually (not always) wait until after dinner, as that allows me to have something to look forward to and if I'm offered something at work I can decide if I want it or if I'd rather save the calories for my usual post-dinner option. I also found it helped to cultivate my innate sweets-snobbery -- I really don't care that much about the candy bars in the checkout aisle or packaged baked goods or most mass market cookies, so went with that and decided that if I am going to use my calories on something sweet, it is going to be something I consider amazing. This means I'll eat baked goods if they are homemade by someone who is good at it (and I'm lazy, so while I like my own baking I don't do it that much), and I'll save my calories for a smaller piece of really good chocolate. I won't usually be tempted by the sweets that people dump in the breakroom because they want others to eat them (although occasionally they will be worth it and I might choose to fit something in my calories).
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I try to eat chocolate every day. keeps my brain healthy. If I don't eat it I get pushed into this irrational cycle of thinking a food is bad or good. I stay within my calorie goal and have a 70-110 cal chocolate allowance per day- except ice cream days, then I get 240cals!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I am in a similar boat - loved my sweet things. :(

I think there is really only three things you can do:
    1. keeping indulging
    2. Cut back and eat smaller amounts
    3. Remove trigger foods from your life

I kept trying to moderate my sugar but realized that I just can't. I end up eating more of it. Not good. For me, I had to cut added sugars from my life and go low carb before my cravings went away. It took about a week but I can now comfortably skip any sweets... There is still a problem if I have just a bite or two though.

Good luck.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    natswagg wrote: »
    hey everyone! I'm currently trying to go from 78 kilos to 70. I'm very active and do a solid hour of exercise everyday but my only downfall is that I can't help myself from eating processed sugar! chocolate is my biggest weakness :( can anyone please give me some tips to control my bad habits?

While of course I'd encourage you to reduce the amount of sugar (along with the amounts of all foods you eat) in order to help lose weight, I'd recommend an adjustment in your blame of processed sugar for a couple reasons:

1. We find around here that often an "I'm addicted" mindset causes some people - even if only subconsciously - to absolve themselves of responsibility. A true addict, of course, often truly can't help him or herself. But by taking the power back - recognizing you're NOT addicted - is a crucial first step in taking control over your own choices.

2. You specifically mention chocolate, as your "added sugar" downfall. Here's the thing about most chocolate though. It's far more calorific from FAT than chocolate. Here's a typical milk chocolate nutrition profile:

labelL333251.gif

15 grams (135 calories) from fat per serving
    20 grams (80 calories) from sugar per serving