GOAL Now what?

Options
July 4, 2015. Male, 60yo, 5'10" (or so) 220 #s. 42"waist. not really fat but clearly overweight (BMI 31.6 obese= 30)

January 13, 2016. male 61 (on the 23rd) 5'10" 190 #s. 37" waist. Wife says I'm too skinny and is worried I'm obsessing over my weight.(she's wrong) All my suit trousers have been taken in. (I'm kinda happy with the results) BMI 27.3 Over weight but I don't think I'll ever get to a "healthy" 174.3. (At my best I was 185 but had a 32 inch waist then (Thank you Uncle Sam's Misguided Children) Lifting Personal Bests each week. FitnessBlender challenges are getting easier to complete at their harder levels. Original goal was 190# I have arrived.

Now what? How hard/easy is maintaining the weight you want?

Really wanted to bring in doughnuts to work to celebrate, but didn't. ;-)

Yeah, I know, more than a little bragging going on under the guise of looking for maintenance information.

Replies

• KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    You are allowed to brag! Worry pas about BMI. Be happy in your new body! Well done.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'd say expect a slight gain when it all settles. Nothing major, 5-10 pounds.... Unless you are living perfect, it's kinda hard to avoid. But overall congrats are in order!!
    If you are satisfied with how you currently look & feel don't worry about BMI. I'm guessing your Dr is/would be happy with the 30 pound loss.

You earned a donut!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    well done on achieving pre-set goal.
    hopefully your doc approves too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've been maintaining more or less for going on three years this spring. I don't look at maintenance as maintaining weight but rather maintaining a healthful lifestyle. Good livin' has made managing my weight pretty easy.

The difficulty many have is that it's essentially mundane which is why I really focus on fitness and fitness goals.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    No actual advice as I'm just venturing into maintenance myself. Really just wanted to say congratulations! :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You're built like my husband. He did that loss and regained it all. TWICE. He's starting again. He's a wonderful charming man, but don't do what he did. DON'T SNACK and don't rely on exercise to keep you slim if you're over eating. He is an avid exerciser and teaches tai chi - he's one big block of muscle. But he snacks and it goes right to his gut - there's no fat anywhere else on his body.

He says he can take a bottle of beer and he might as well just glue it to his gut - and it's true. Eat your meals. Log your food. And just keep doing it. You've worked too hard to let it go.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've been maintaining more or less for going on three years this spring. I don't look at maintenance as maintaining weight but rather maintaining a healthful lifestyle. Good livin' has made managing my weight pretty easy.

The difficulty many have is that it's essentially mundane which is why I really focus on fitness and fitness goals.

All of what @cwolfman13 said. I have maintained for 6 years. The calorie counting phase is now over for me, but I stick around to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I don't think I enjoy exercise as much as cwolfman13 does.

What now for you?

Set your goal to maintenance in MFP.

Continue counting until you feel you can maintain without counting. I counted for over 6 months; some never stop.

Give yourself a goal range of about 5-8 lbs. Once you start edging towards either end take remedial action before things escalate.

Continue to exercise, it is good for your mind and body.

If you feel lost not having the weight loss goal anymore. Having a staying within range goal, and personal best goals in exercise can replace that.

You may have to tweek your cals for getting your true maintenance, MFP gives you a good estimate, but that is all it is.

If your calories make a big jump to maintenance up them slowly, 50-100 a week. It is much easier physically and mentally that way.

If you put on a couple of pounds don't worry, unless you have been over eating, it is water weight, more carbs in your diet, and more food being digested.

Go buy donuts and celebrate. That is what this is all about, being able to have a splurge for a special occasion, but not every day. Well done @pondee629.

Cheers, h.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss achievement. The next goal is to get on with your life.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've just begun year 5 on MFP. I lost 42 pounds in the first six months (my goal was a 37 lbs loss or an end weight of about 150-152 lbs -- my goal was not this loss in that short of a time frame), then attempted maintenance. I gained a little back, but only to my original goal of 37 lbs lost. I found that the mentality to lose weight was easier than the mentality to maintain. I was able to stick close to the 152 lb weight for three years, but I have creaped up in the past 12 -month and am now back into weight-loss mode. Maintenance is not particularly easy. Keep up the exercise routine and keep logging your foods. Please don't jump back into carefree mentality. Ease into higher calorie allowance. Keep up with exercise as your tool to keep muscle and maintain metabolism -- maybe change to greater emphasis on weight training and lesser emphasis on cardio.

A huge, huge congratulations on your achievement. Your work isn't over; it's just not as measurable as it was in the past.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. maintenance doesn't seem that hard. I seem able to do it at 191 although my goal was sub 190 ;-). Can't seem to lose that last pound.

Klondike Bars, dark chocolate, are my reward of choice.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @pondee629 maintenance isn't that hard, but don't take it for granted. That is when weight creeps in and bites you on the *kitten*.
    That one last pound will drop off when you least expect it.

Dare I say, paraphrasing the old adage;
    a watched pound never drops. :)

Enjoy your maintenance.

Cheers, h.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I agree with @middlehaitch. I have done a LOT of yoyo'ing through the years. Sometimes I had good reasons for weight gain (e.g. twin pregnancy), med changes, etc. but other times it was getting comfortable and not stepping in as the scale graaadually started to creep up.
    Times when I maintained the longest, I weighed in regularly and stayed on top of it. If the scale went up more than 3 lbs or so, I would shift back into loss mode for a bit (which for me requires lowering carbs).