Maintenance is messing with my mind

Options
I didn't realize how much of a mind game maintenance would be! The scale is staying the same, but I have moments of doubt. Like, I suddenly don't feel as thin as I was feeling. Or how challenging it is to balance maintenance calories. I keep feeling like I'm doing it wrong, but the scale is staying within a 1 pound fluctuation.

It's messing with my head, man!

Anyone else feel an unrealistic panic?

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Mine went away after a while. Now I just focus on other achievements.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Think you are simply putting too much importance on your weight, it doesn't define you as a person!
    Give yourself a wider acceptable range or just set a top limit.
  • LloydGK
    LloydGK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Initially, after spending so long eating a prescribed amount of calories to achieve a deficit, I found I had no appetite for the additional 290 I needed once I'd reached my goal.
    I felt bloated after meal times and like I'd done a bad thing whenever I came close to hitting my recommended allowance.

At this point I began to see how easy acquiring a form of eating disorder could be (I'm a slightly obsessive control freak. Hello, Ladies....:wink:) and decided to change how I thought about it all and only weigh-in twice monthly.

My approach became thus:
    "Even if eating at MFP's maintenance level does gain me 2 or 3lbs - I'll drop 'em again, just like I dropped the other 26".

These days that sentiment has been commuted to a mantra; "Pffft! I've got this!!!" and whenever the panic begins to set in, the evidence to back that claim up is right there in the mirror.

Over my Christmas break I didn't log a single bite from Dec 22 - Jan 4 (intentional holiday from cal counting) and gained 4lb (and had a LOT of fun).
    I didn't sweat it, I did what needed to be done and am back at goal again. :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Feeling "not as thin" is just a feeling. In maintenance give the scale a range and not a set spot on weight. You will be much more relaxed when you use the 3 -5 pounds.. I can gain 5 pounds from eating too high in sodium meal and retain this for 1 -2 days.

I would drive my self batty weighing every day and seeing fluctuations that you know are just not real weight.

I gained 8 pounds in weight/water over the holidays, I am no back to correcting it, I can loose it just as easy as I put it on, it may take a wee bit longer.

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Think you are simply putting too much importance on your weight, it doesn't define you as a person!

Yes. Start exercising, get a hobby that doesn't involve calories or a scale, and get on with your life. But DO keep logging. Maintenance is forever.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    A plain scale tells you little. Get a scale that shows your percent of body fat too. That way you can see if you are gaining/losing fat or muscle. :)
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have been on maintenance for about 2 months maybe a little more. I get the exact same feelings as the Op. I almost done it more stressful them losing was.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »

Yes. Start exercising, get a hobby that doesn't involve calories or a scale, and get on with your life. But DO keep logging. Maintenance is forever.

I really don't think it's because I don't "have a hobby".

I'm talking about the mental transition of maintenance. When I was losing all the changes were noticeable and encouraging. Now that it's the same weight, and my body is "settling" into this new weight, it's a weird thing. It's just a lot to process.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Maintenance does not mean I'm done.

There is always a new goal to achieve, there is always a new challenge around the corner, so settling into to maintenance for me, does not exist.. I will always be looking to improve upon the canvas as I say I will always have a body in transition.
  • crb426
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Maintenance does not mean I'm done.

There is always a new goal to achieve, there is always a new challenge around the corner, so settling into to maintenance for me, does not exist.. I will always be looking to improve upon the canvas as I say I will always have a body in transition.

Yes! I am feeling like that's my next step. I would like to focus on toning up and becoming more fit. I need to adjust my goal, and I'm being lazy about it.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You're not alone at all. You'll have ups and downs in maintenance -- just like the periodic plateaus many hit on their weight loss. Figuring out the balance point means that, sometimes, you lean too far to the left and other times too far to the right. Thanks for sharing your original post and enjoy working on toning. There are many MFPers that post awesome pictures of their toning results.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    "Doubt" and "unrealistic panic" is exactly what describes my feelings in maintenance. It's been 15 months now since I reached my goal weight, and I don't find it difficult to portion control and exercise enough, but I struggle to wrap my mind around it - it still feels strange to be normal weight, and it seems "too easy" to eat well and exercise, am I fooling myself? I have lost this bit of weight a couple of times before, and been determined that I'm not going to gain it back, but I still did, so why would this time be any different?

I don't "feel" more or less heavy, but I can almost never predict what the scales will say. So I just take note and allow a 3 kilo (6.6 pounds) fluctuation, and I weigh every day.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Think you are simply putting too much importance on your weight, it doesn't define

I'm talking about the mental transition of maintenance. When I was losing all the changes were noticeable and encouraging. Now that it's the same weight, and my body is "settling" into this new weight, it's a weird thing. It's just a lot to process.

Omgosh this. I had steady weight loss and a closet full of small clothes due to fluctuations with Crohn's disease, surgeries and poor eating habits. I would try on my next size "closet" about every 5 days and reorganize the boxes I also spent a lot of time shopping.
    Losing weight is sexy. Maintenance isn't as fun
    Now I am setting non scale goals like increasing weights
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Deleted double post

• BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just entered maintenance a few weeks ago and flew past my UGW (170 - 58, male, 5'10", range is 166 - 174) to 167.4 last week. I was sick with the cold, so that might have contributed. Still, it is weird because I have to make sure to eat enough now. I do a fair amount of cardio and I'm not giving that up, so my Net Calories are low. I will be starting some weightlifting soon.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have been on maintenance for about 2 months maybe a little more. I get the exact same feelings as the Op. I almost done it more stressful them losing was.

Same here. Been maintaining somewhat for over a year. While I try to tell myself "I've lost 120, if I put on ten or fifteen I know I can lose it. I've got this," the panic (I don't know if that's too srtong a word, but can't think of another right now) always sets back in at some point. Then it's back to the mantra which works a day or two.

As you mention more stressful, I especially feel that as well. I look back and figure it's insane to feel that way, too. While I was losing I was eating cookies a few times a week as a snack, cakes on occasion with no problem. On maintenance I actually avoid that stuff because I don't want to slip. Go figure, the mind is a funny thing. That brings me to another thing I try telling myself repeatedly... "if you ate this while losing, what's wrong with it now?" Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Keep logging. I actually find I tend to under eat worrying about overeating during my trial periods of not logging. So, logging works both ways - ensuring you don't overeat but yet making sure you don't give in to your fears and eat too little. At least, that's how it is in my case.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Everyone has "fat days" there's nothing you can do other than tell yourself it's just a little bloat (if you even are!) Or you're just having an off day!
  • crb426
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    Everyone has "fat days" there's nothing you can do other than tell yourself it's just a little bloat (if you even are!) Or you're just having an off day!

It's funny because after I originally posted this I went through the day having "am I too thin?" moments! See!? Messing with my head! Ha ha.
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't find it difficult to portion control and exercise enough, but I struggle to wrap my mind around it - it still feels strange to be normal weight, and it seems "too easy" to eat well and exercise, am I fooling myself?

I understand this. Sometimes when I eat good I panic and think I must be gaining weight or be letting my guard down because it's not hard work like it was in the beginning. (if that makes sense)
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Oh, la. I can so relate. Not at maintenance yet. Yikes.